Lady Taildragger Pilots

I think Greg may have mentioned something in the past, at least somebody did, because I was aware you were a pilot. Or maybe it's just my clairvoyant ability. :)

I think it went something along the lines of "I hope that after I buy this Taylorcraft that Sharon will get current again..." :yes:

I'm new to pilotsofamerica and am hoping this is the right spot to post my message. I'm trying to locate other "actively flying" lady tailwheel pilots anywhere in the U.S. My mission started as a way to find other taildragger gals to fly with near my airport, MQJ Indianapolis, but has quickly expanded in scope. I started a new website called www.ladieslovetaildraggers.com and quickly found out that the number of tailwheel ladies in my area is limited but there are lots of us across the states. I hope everyone (men and women) will check out the link, let me know if you have any suggestions for it, pass on to lady taildragger pilots and, if you are one, let me get you registered!

Judy :blush:
Champ 7FC/EC

Hi, Judy. I'm Kim Pardon. I fly an L-19 bird dog and learned to fly in a Citabria...I'm going to go check out your website right now!

Edit: I have toes, too! ;)

OK - I think we need to have a toe-show at OSH this year. Bring your best polish jobs, and we can either have a competition at the White House (boy will THAT be amusing for the staff) or in some nice shady area surrounded by taildraggers - the spot near Theatre In The Woods comes to mind.

Tim, toes get really dusty at OSH...it's not a good place to showcase pedicures...

Here's that pic from last year...Diana and me...my feet look like Fred Flintstone's next to her dainty toes...

Attachments

• Kim and Diana's toes at OSH.jpg
    Kim and Diana's toes at OSH.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 29
Tim, toes get really dusty at OSH...it's not a good place to showcase pedicures...

Here's that pic from last year...Diana and me...my feet look like Fred Flintstone's next to her dainty toes...

Hmm.. Then what's needed at OSH is a foot SPA. Boy, I bet if someone set up in the camping areas they could make a mint selling pedicures and foot massages.

Edit - I've heard horrible things about what toe rings do to your feet. Kim, do you wear them all the time, and are the tales of broken toes and other nastiness myths like the downwind turn?

Did Deb with the his&her Luscombes make it into this thread?

Also, I've got a friend with a Christen Eagle that she helped build and flies regularly.

I know that some of the Babes and Airplanes members are female taildragger pilots:

www.babesandairplanes.com

Edit - I've heard horrible things about what toe rings do to your feet. Kim, do you wear them all the time, and are the tales of broken toes and other nastiness myths like the downwind turn?

Complete poppycock!!!

Hmm.. Then what's needed at OSH is a foot SPA. Boy, I bet if someone set up in the camping areas they could make a mint selling pedicures and foot massages.

Tim, I think you have hit on your way to pay your way to Oshkosh... tell me where you'll be setting up shop and sign me up for a foot massage! ;)

Did Deb with the his&her Luscombes make it into this thread?

Also, I've got a friend with a Christen Eagle that she helped build and flies regularly.

I know that some of the Babes and Airplanes members are female taildragger pilots:

www.babesandairplanes.com

That website is hysterical!! I had no idea it was out there - those gals have a great sense of humor - it doesn't look like there's much happening on it anymore though. Too bad.

So, who are these taildragger ladies you mention? Deb with a Luscombe and the friend with the Christen Eagle? There's no messing around flying an Eagle - better know what you're doing, especially landing it! (not that I've flown one!) Can you send them the link to www.ladieslovetaildraggers.com ? :blush: Thanks much!

That website is hysterical!! I had no idea it was out there - those gals have a great sense of humor - it doesn't look like there's much happening on it anymore though. Too bad.

So, who are these taildragger ladies you mention? Deb with a Luscombe and the friend with the Christen Eagle? There's no messing around flying an Eagle - better know what you're doing, especially landing it! (not that I've flown one!) Can you send them the link to www.ladieslovetaildraggers.com ? :blush: Thanks much!

Deb McFarland (Luscombe owner) is a member here. I sent her a PM with your URL and a link to this thread.

The other two that come to mind I can only reach by phone so I'll try to remember to pass them your URL as well. FWIW, my mother who passed away a few years ago was quite the taildragger pilot having received her PPL flying a Porterfield Collegiate in 1941. She was still flying the Porterfield (and a C-182) when she was about 85.

Deb McFarland (Luscombe owner) is a member here. I sent her a PM with your URL and a link to this thread.

The other two that come to mind I can only reach by phone so I'll try to remember to pass them your URL as well. FWIW, my mother who passed away a few years ago was quite the taildragger pilot having received her PPL flying a Porterfield Collegiate in 1941. She was still flying the Porterfield (and a C-182) when she was about 85.
Hmmm... I've got a spouse of an acquaintance of a college classmate who's a pilot (has a Cub, as well as a Goose) and a former wingwalker. I'll have to try to get the URL to her.

Nice subject, and nice website.

My wife recently announced she is interested in becoming a future taildragger pilot. You could have knocked me over with a feather! I think she is mostly concerned with being able to competently take over from me in the face of my crappy flying on occasion :eek::D Learning in a 170 - I'm jealous of her (if we can find a CFI that will give primary instruction in our plane.)

IMG_0730.JPG

Last edited:

Thanks for passing the site on. Your mother sounds like quite a gal! You gota love an 85 years old - man or woman - who is still hanging out flying a Porterfield! Good for her. The first airplane I owned (1/3 interest) was a 1939 BL65 Porterfield. It sat for many years after I sold out but was recently restored to good as new condition (or as close as you can get to it)! I loved that airplane...

Judy

The Babes are out there... they even are right here. ; )

:blowingkisses:

I'm still a student (with some taildragger time). But my toes are ready!

Attachments

• DSC01704.JPG
    DSC01704.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 30
I don't have any tailwheel time, yet. (It's in the plan after I get my seaplane rating.) But I LOVE the idea of blue toe nails with clouds on them. But how do you make the clouds? Can you get nail stickers somewhere? :D:D

I don't have any tailwheel time, yet. (It's in the plan after I get my seaplane rating.) But I LOVE the idea of blue toe nails with clouds on them. But how do you make the clouds? Can you get nail stickers somewhere? :D:D

Nah, just use white nailpolish to make a bunch of white poka dots grouped together in the shape of clouds. Hum, I haven't taken my nail polish off yet but it's all chipped now with a good bit of nail growth showing. Guess I'll have to give myself a new peticure tonight and take a picture. Hope they turn out as good.

Tim, I think you have hit on your way to pay your way to Oshkosh... tell me where you'll be setting up shop and sign me up for a foot massage! ;)

"I've got my technique DOWN - I don't tickle or nothin'" -Jules in "Pulp Fiction"

I won't get into the relative intimacy of foot massages discussed in the movie.

Nah, just use white nailpolish to make a bunch of white poka dots grouped together in the shape of clouds. Hum, I haven't taken my nail polish off yet but it's all chipped now with a good bit of nail growth showing. Guess I'll have to give myself a new peticure tonight and take a picture. Hope they turn out as good.

FUN!!!!!! I'm gonna do it too. I'll take a pic and post. It won't be til at least next week though!

Bring the clouds to OSH, Heather! Are you volunteering (or are you already an EAA employee?)

Oh, I will fo sho!

Nope, not an EAA employee, just a volunteer! I did actually get paid one summer - I did security in Aeroshell square. That was lots of fun, but there's more flexibility in the scheduling when you're a volunteer.

Ok, I had some unanounced visitors last night (but boy were they cute, my sudio 2 month old necie and nephew with their parents) and only got 1/2 way through the pedicure. My toes have a fresh coat of plane blue. The clouds will be added tonight and I will take a picture.

And I still don't have the picture from Grant yet.

Lady pilot rule number one...never leave your house with chipped toenail polish!!!!! :frown2:

:D

Hum, never relised how hard it was to take a picture of my toes...

Attachments

• DSC02045.JPG
    DSC02045.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 32
But they were in shoes all week! No one noticed!

Yes, but you never know when you might have an accident and they will remove your shoes at the ER only to find...:yikes:

:D :D

No chips or stubble...(I don't think men have ANY idea of the amount of upkeep required to maintain even minimum standards...:frown2:)

Last edited:
Let's go back to taildragger pilots...I enjoyed reading about the different pilots on your website, Judy! I met the woman from near St. Joe, Melinda Hopper, at an air show in Wichita last year...she has a BEAUTIFUL Champ in perfect condition.

Hum, never relised how hard it was to take a picture of my toes...

My first thought was "If you replaced the white with black, and the blue with white, they'd be cow-colored toenails!" :D What can I say, I'm a Wisconsin native... ;)

Ok, I had some unanounced visitors last night (but boy were they cute, my sudio 2 month old necie and nephew with their parents) and only got 1/2 way through the pedicure. My toes have a fresh coat of plane blue. The clouds will be added tonight and I will take a picture.

And I still don't have the picture from Grant yet.
Okay, here's the "closeup" (actually a crop from a much larger picture. -- Melissa, send me your email and I'll send you the larger pictures for approval!)

Attachments

• IMG_2813-2.JPG
    IMG_2813-2.JPG
    53.6 KB · Views: 12
Ummm, you guys have cute feet. I don't think I'll be posting a pic of my toes. Have scars on both feet from bunion surgery. And I'm one of those freaks that has second toes longer than the big toes. :blush::blush: Shallow Hal won't date me. :rofl::rofl:

Maybe I'll get over it and post anyway. I gotta find blue nail polish though. I think I'll go at lunch today to Walgreen's and check it out.

My first thought was "If you replaced the white with black, and the blue with white, they'd be cow-colored toenails!" :D What can I say, I'm a Wisconsin native... ;)

At Gastons I told the girls my nails were yellow and brown, wanna see them?

"EEEwwwww"

At Gastons I told the girls my nails were yellow and brown, wanna see them?

"EEEwwwww"

You didn't offer that to me... or I would have said sure and then whipped out my polish and you would have had blue toes. :D

(And everyone would have been happier for it)

Back