Lady Taildragger Pilots

Judy Birchler

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Fly a Taildragger!
I'm new to pilotsofamerica and am hoping this is the right spot to post my message. I'm trying to locate other "actively flying" lady tailwheel pilots anywhere in the U.S. My mission started as a way to find other taildragger gals to fly with near my airport, MQJ Indianapolis, but has quickly expanded in scope. I started a new website called www.ladieslovetaildraggers.com and quickly found out that the number of tailwheel ladies in my area is limited but there are lots of us across the states. I hope everyone (men and women) will check out the link, let me know if you have any suggestions for it, pass on to lady taildragger pilots and, if you are one, let me get you registered!

Judy :blush:
Champ 7FC/EC

Judy, first welcome to POA. We are the front porch of aviation. A great place to learn and meet other pilots and aviation lovers. You posted in the correct forum. Either here or in Flight Following would have been fine. I suspect you will soon hear from Diana our resident Citabria flyer. Enjoy the forum and tell us how you found Pilots of America?

Judy:

As Adam said, there are several Taildragger Goddesses who can be found here from time to time.

Diana Richards, specifically mentioned by Adam, keeps her Citabria (named "CitaBlueBerria" by some) at the airstrip (can you call it just "airstrip," when it has two runways?) at the farm which she and her personable husband, Tom, share in Missouri.

Kim Pardon flies an exquisitely restored Cessna L19 Bird Dog - it even has missiles (although she contends that they are not real, I have this far avoided excessively testing her reserve for fear of finding out differently).

Both Diana and Kim have pretty feet, too. :D

If you browse the photos from the recent Fly-In at which both of the aerial Goddesses I just mentioned could be found, you'll see pictures of them, along with general pictures of excessive fun being had.

www.gastonsflyin.com

There are, I know, others here (Missa?).

Welcome to PoA, look forward to meeting (and shamelessly flirting with) you some day.

I'm new to pilotsofamerica and am hoping this is the right spot to post my message. I'm trying to locate other "actively flying" lady tailwheel pilots anywhere in the U.S. My mission started as a way to find other taildragger gals to fly with near my airport, MQJ Indianapolis, but has quickly expanded in scope. I started a new website called www.ladieslovetaildraggers.com and quickly found out that the number of tailwheel ladies in my area is limited but there are lots of us across the states. I hope everyone (men and women) will check out the link, let me know if you have any suggestions for it, pass on to lady taildragger pilots and, if you are one, let me get you registered!

Judy :blush:
Champ 7FC/EC
Hi Judy! Welcome to PoA. What a great idea you have for a web site! I'd love to join. :)

My first lesson was in a Champ when I was 13. :)

When I flew around the country for a month, two years ago, I landed on mostly grass strips, and two of my favorite were grass strips in Indiana where I hoped to meet two other tailwheel ladies. I was fortunate to get to meet Laura at Glenndale (8I3), but missed meeting Ginger at Lee Bottom. I did enjoy spending the night in that adorable little cabin at Lee Bottom, though.

There are a few threads here on PoA about my trip flying around the country.

Here are a few videos I made about flying my Citabria...I should say, my beloved Citabria. :)

A friend of mine who also flies a Citabria just finished the 2009 Air Race Classic. They are all still in Iowa waiting for the final results.

You might want to post something on the Yahoo Citabria Group and also on the Purple Board for Pilots...there are other tailwheel ladies there as well. :)

As Adam said, there are several Taildragger Goddesses who can be found here from time to time.
Spike, you are so sweet. :yes:

Both Diana and Kim have pretty feet, too. :D
And sometimes you're funny. :D

Welcome to PoA, look forward to meeting (and shamelessly flirting with) you some day.
And sometimes you are such a flirt. :D :D :D

Plus, you're adorable. :yes:

Here are those lady taildragger toes for you, Spike. :D

Attachments

• Toes at OSH (800 x 600).jpg
    Toes at OSH (800 x 600).jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 62
Diana, you always put your best foot forward! :smile:
Welcome to the POA forum Judy. Bob

I know of a few female taildragger pilots in my area. I'll pass along your URL.

Thanks for all the welcomes! Looks like this is going to be a fun site and I love the fact there really are people here chatting and bouncing topics around. Appreciate the comments and especially happy you gave me a little info about yourself, Diana, for www.ladieslovetaildraggers.com. I've just copied a few pics and now have you on the site. What a great article your niece wrote for the IAC Magazine! Anything else you can send me would be good and any other women taildraggers I'd love to add as well.

Judy

P.S. Can't wait to compare nail polish!

Thanks for all the welcomes! Looks like this is going to be a fun site and I love the fact there really are people here chatting and bouncing topics around. Appreciate the comments and especially happy you gave me a little info about yourself, Diana, for www.ladieslovetaildraggers.com. I've just copied a few pics and now have you on the site. What a great article your niece wrote for the IAC Magazine! Anything else you can send me would be good and any other women taildraggers I'd love to add as well.

Judy

Thanks Judy! My niece is a delight to fly with and given the opportunity, she may be the next pilot in our family. :)

I just logged in on your site and noticed that you have some time in a Porterfield! Lance ("gismo" in this thread) owns a Porterfield. I'm hoping to get a ride in it someday. :)

If you are ever flying down in our part of southwest MO, please stop by and visit us. :)

P.S. Can't wait to compare nail polish!
:D

Here is a photo my husband took one hot day as we were bored, bouncing along over Kansas headed for Denver. I sometimes fly from the back on long trips d/t weight and balance issues. I was trimming the Citabria in this picture. :D

Attachments

• Trimming from the back.jpg
    Trimming from the back.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 48
Welcome! Lady pilots appeal to me, but lady taildragger pilots... even better! :D

Now that I'm over being shocked by being dissed by Mr. SPIKE...

Welcome, Judy, to POA from a fellow taildragger pilot albeit non-current.

Spike (who used to be one of my favorite people) probably doesn't even know I do have a pilot certificate. "Course, in his defense, most people on POA probably don't realize I have a certificate.

Greg aka mbockelm on POA and I own a Cessna 195. I got trained in a taildragger in a Chief...loved it...not long after I got my pilot certificate back in the 1980's.

Would love to join your site.

Last edited:
No fair, Sharon!

1. You're right, I did NOT know you had feathers;

-and-

2. Just because I named a couple (in haste) does NOT mean you're being excluded.

No fair, Sharon!

-and-

2. Just because I named a couple (in haste) does NOT mean you're being excluded.

Yeah, but...a Cessna 195 owner...and that doesn't come to your mind.:confused:

P.S. All is fair in love and war... :) ...and, you didn't ask. :)

Last edited:
No fair, Sharon!

-and-

Poor Spike.....you've obviously not spent enough time with the Ladies of Gaston's...... :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Greg aka mbockelm on POA and I own a Cessna 195. I got trained in a taildragger in a Chief...loved it...not long after I got my pilot certificate back in the 1980's.

I've been corrected...Greg's aka on POA is Greg Bockelman. Original...used his known name...Greg is not his given first name though, just the one he uses (more trivia).

Greg is not his given first name though, just the one he uses (more trivia).

We have a lot of middle-namers and nicknamers here. I wonder how many of us would recognize some very well-known board members if they used their real names of Michael, Glenn, Sewall, and B. F. (and I still don't know what that even stands for :no:) ???

No fair, Sharon!

-and-

Spike, now you know how I felt after inadvertently excluding some of our inestimable ladies from a list I once proffered! (And I DID know that she not only has a PPL, but also that she's not current. And your out is that Judy specified "actively flying" in her request, which you could reasonably take to mean as "PIC"! :)

Thanks Grant, but I am "in it" for a while no matter what...

No fair, Sharon!

-and-

FWIW (not a whole lot but here goes...)
It wasn't the exlusion I had an "issue" with...was the knowing that "POAer's in general not knowing I have a certificate. I didn't sign onto POA before this year because of time constraints...not 'cause I don't have a pilots certificate. Dont recall ever being asked...and didn't know Greg hadn't already told POAers over the last few years before I joined. Maybe I should place the "blame" on Greg -- for not talking about me as a licensed pilot before I joined. :blush::blush: Love you, dear!:blowingkisses::blowingkisses::blowingkisses:

Judy, I think that Laura, the CFI from Kokomo used to post here, but can't find her posts now. She posted on AOPA and the Purple Board about a fly-in this coming weekend up your way. I'll attach the file that she posted on the other aviation forums. If I was closer, I'd fly up there.

Thanks for updating my info on your site. :) I added to the forum on your site about Beaumont, and will post more in a few days.

Your web site looks great! And your airplane is beautiful. :yes:

Attachments

• Kokomo Wings and Wheels 2009.pdf
    68 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
There are, I know, others here (Missa?).

I meet the defintion endorsment and love but not currancy.

I since I moved to PA I can't find on for rent and I don't own a tail wheel. However I'm helping a co-worker build a Rans S7 and it has a tailwheel and I will be able to fly it whenever we get it done. Just about ready to cover and paint.

Both Diana and Kim have pretty feet, too. :D.

I hope I count in that one too. :blowingkisses:

Missa

Missa, can't say for sure that I've looked at your feet, yet; Diana and Kim have actually photographically modeled!

I hope I count in that one too. :blowingkisses:
Did anyone get a picture of your toenail polish at Gaston's? I hope so! It was really cute!! :yes: We were going to take all kinds of photos of our toenail polish that weekend...what happened to that plan? :D

Missa, can't say for sure that I've looked at your feet, yet; Diana and Kim have actually photographically modeled!

Ask Grant what happedned to my toe nail picture from Gastons...

You didn't notice the blue with clouds toes at Gastons! So sad you missed them.

Did anyone get a picture of your toenail polish at Gaston's? I hope so! It was really cute!! :yes: We were going to take all kinds of photos of our toenail polish that weekend...what happened to that plan? :D

It was over-ridden by a dseire to fly airplanes.

What happened to the picture??? I think you should post it!

Those blue toenails with white clouds were adorable! I saw them when we went flying cuz they were on the rudder pedals next to me. :D

Yeah, I got a picture of you applying the polish. (Yeah, I said I was going to post pictures this weekend, but between staining the deck and hosting a picnic, I didn't get a chance to. :blush: (BTW, it wasn't a closeup of the toes, and I'll email it to Missa for approval prior to posting.)

FWIW (not a whole lot but here goes...)
It wasn't the exlusion I had an "issue" with...was the knowing that "POAer's in general not knowing I have a certificate. I didn't sign onto POA before this year because of time constraints...not 'cause I don't have a pilots certificate. Dont recall ever being asked...and didn't know Greg hadn't already told POAers over the last few years before I joined. Maybe I should place the "blame" on Greg -- for not talking about me as a licensed pilot before I joined. :blush::blush: Love you, dear!:blowingkisses::blowingkisses::blowingkisses:

So Spike, you might have company "in it" as Greg ( or what ever his name is) might be joining you. Greg you can't get much worse than to be "in it" with Spike! :D:nono::nonod:

Maybe I should place the "blame" on Greg -- for not talking about me as a licensed pilot before I joined. :blush::blush: Love you, dear!:blowingkisses::blowingkisses::blowingkisses:
I think Greg may have mentioned something in the past, at least somebody did, because I was aware you were a pilot. Or maybe it's just my clairvoyant ability. :)

So Spike, you might have company "in it" as Greg ( or what ever his name is) might be joining you. Greg you can't get much worse than to be "in it" with Spike! :D:nono::nonod:

Since this subject fits more with the thread entitled, "IMPORTANT MESSAGE," I will be responding to this comment in that thread...if you're interested in reading my response...that's where it will be.:yesnod:

Back