Labor shortages are annoying.

PPC1052

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
PPC
I dropped the plane off for its annual August 27 for its August 29 appointment for its annual. Usually, we get the plane back in two weeks. But this time, they are still not finished due to lack of mechanics. Ugh. We were told last week they hoped to have it finished this week. Fall break starts next week. :(

Last edited:
But this time, they are still not finished due to lack of mechanics. Ugh.
Unfortunately, for the near future, this will be the new norm on the private GA side. I'm seeing more smaller 135 ops going through the same labor shortage issues but they are putting together internal headhunter groups who actively seek mechanic and pilot candidates. Know of one helicopter company that has effectively staked out several of the larger A&P programs to catch them at the gate.

From a student who fantasizes about ownership... do people generally perform their own oil changes? Is that allowed by regs?
If so, do FBOs typically have disposal service?

I'd hate to have to rely on the mechanic's schedule to do routine maintenance like this. I'm assuming I'll learn about what is and isn't allowed to do yourself during my training?

From a student who fantasizes about ownership... do people generally perform their own oil changes? Is that allowed by regs?

I'd hate to have to rely on the mechanic's schedule to do routine maintenance like this. I'm assuming I'll learn about what is and isn't allowed to do yourself during my training?

Yes, you can do your own oil changes with just a private pilot's certificate, but you can't sign off on the required annual inspection.

do people generally perform their own oil changes? Is that allowed by regs?
FYI: there are a number of maintenance tasks, to include oil changes, a certificated pilot can perform and sign off on their aircraft under "preventive maintenance" rules. All depends on how involved you want to get. Part 43 Appx A gives a list of categories and there are other FAA guidance documents on the subject.

Good luck on your training and welcome to the skies! Yes, a private pilot can perform quite a bit of maintenance on an airplane that he/she owns. This is covered in FAR 43, and one of the appendices lists examples of preventative maintenance that an owner can perform. If you are a mechanically inclined airplane owner, you should become very familiar with this reg. It allows the owner to perform such tasks as oil and filter changes, tire changes, certain hardware replacement, minor wiring repair, and so on. You can even do interior and exterior beautification work (paint, interior, etc.). There are limitations, but you will learn those as you go along.

Many owners that take an active role in their own maintenance will also find an A&P/IA that will work with them to perform an owner assisted annual. This will save you a ton of money, and can help keep your airplane flying.

Talk to some A&Ps and talk to some airplane owners. You’ll start to get a good idea of how it works and what you can and can’t do. There are plenty of A&Ps out there that are great mechanics and will actively try to help you keep your plane flying, and will help save you money. And for every good A&P, there will be more that you shouldn’t trust with your plane or your wallet. Take your time and listen to what is being said, and you’ll start to see the difference between the two.

What repairs need to be done? Did you prep the plane for annual yourself - remove the inspection plates, seats, floors, cowling, etc.? Does your shop do owner-assisted annuals?

Of the repairs recommended, how many are required to maintain compliance with the type certificate and/or the FARs, and which ones are discretionary? Can you defer some or all of them?

Take a look at https://www.ecfr.gov/current/title-14/chapter-I/subchapter-C/part-43

You're looking for Appendix A, section C. That is the list of what you can do yourself.

You can also do owner-assisted annuals.

You remove all the inspection plates. Clean things up. Lube everything requiring lube, and the IA just does the inspection.

The new norm, the educated and skilled want to pursue personal activities, so a complete lack of interest in full time commitments. I wouldn’t mind being a mechanic, I’d do it on my plane and part time only for a few people nearby, but the barrier to entry and insurance is mind boggling as well.

The GA world is a real niche no matter what corner you look. There's a dearth of skilled labor in general. Its what happens when we push college so hard for so long and forget trades altogether.
Yup. But there are other factors. So many kids have grown up in homes where Dad doesn't do any of his own maintenance on anything, and so the kid never gets any inspiration from it.

Some mechanics leave the profession for greener pastures, like truck shops, that pay more. The owners of ageing GA airplanes are often notoriously cheap, and the GA shop can't afford to pay better to compete with the other industries.

It seems that tasks on airplanes take much longer. Car dealers charge more per hour, but most jobs are a couple of hours, not 10s of hours.

Yes, a lot fewer kids are exposed to mechanical work. Both due to it not being done at home (and so many cars you can't do too much), and that things like Auto Shop in high school is long gone.

What repairs need to be done? Did you prep the plane for annual yourself - remove the inspection plates, seats, floors, cowling, etc.? Does your shop do owner-assisted annuals?

Of the repairs recommended, how many are required to maintain compliance with the type certificate and/or the FARs, and which ones are discretionary? Can you defer some or all of them?

As far as I know, no repairs need to be done. But, they haven't completed the inspection, so we really don't know. Did I remove any of the inspection plates? No. I flew it over and handed them the keys. Six weeks ago.

I called them today. They haven't even started.

The business model for many FBOs is a bit strange.

Bring us your plane. Will will work on it when we feel like it. We will charge what we feel like charging. We will not provide any updates. And in some cases, we won't even tell you what we did.

Trying that is most business, and you will be out of business in a few weeks.

Bring us your plane. Will will work on it when we feel like it. We will charge what we feel like charging.
We never did that. If we couldn't get at it promptly, we told the customer and he could take it somewhere else. The basic problem was that there were few other places to take it.

And we kept the customer in the loop as to what we found and whether we had permission to fix it.

It seems that tasks on airplanes take much longer. Car dealers charge more per hour, but most jobs are a couple of hours, not 10s of hours.
Yup. Pop the hood. Takes one second. Look things over. Takes a few minutes. No carb to adjust, no magnetos that need inspections, no timing adjustments at all. No vacuum pump in some nearly-impossible spot to replace. No oil filter or screen blocked by engine mount tubing or anything else. No cutting open the oil filter for inspection. No long inspection checklists, no logbooks to fill out. No ground run to check everything.

Until the in-tank fuel pump fails and has to be replaced. Or the engine has to come out for overhaul. Big job, that last one, and one that usually results in a new car instead. Same with a dying transmission. Time for a new car. Or a good used one. Nobody scraps their airplane because it has a leaking fuel bladder or low compression.

rying that is most business, and you will be out of business in a few weeks.
That's just it, the aviation maintenance industry is not like most businesses. There have been several discussions on PoA on this but most don't understand it. There are variables that other type businesses don't have to deal with and can work right through without a hitch. Unfortunately, one broken stud or an IA out sick can throw a well planned out weekly schedule into a 2 month backlog in the blink of an eye. Even one-man shops can get into situations which bring the work flow to a halt. It was one of the reasons I got out of the ad hoc mx business as in my case any unexpected issue would automatically come with a 7 day delay as I also maintained a day job. However, not keeping the customer in the loop is just a lack of good customer service which to me is more a social issue and a similar problem in many other service industries.

Last edited:

Bring us your plane. Will will work on it when we feel like it. We will charge what we feel like charging. We will not provide any updates. And in some cases, we won't even tell you what we did.

The ownership model for most owners is a bit strange.

Wow, I finally bought an airplane. Gee, avgas is expensive, so is the hangar. Parts are expensive. But hey, $1200 for a headset, "go for it!"

Maintenance is expensive. "Hey, this is just a hobby, why are you charging me for this!" "What's the number of that mechanic that does the $200 annuals?"

Yup. Pop the hood. Takes one second. Look things over. Takes a few minutes. No carb to adjust, no magnetos that need inspections, no timing adjustments at all. No vacuum pump in some nearly-impossible spot to replace. No oil filter or screen blocked by engine mount tubing or anything else. No cutting open the oil filter for inspection. No long inspection checklists, no logbooks to fill out. No ground run to check everything.

Until the in-tank fuel pump fails and has to be replaced. Or the engine has to come out for overhaul. Big job, that last one, and one that usually results in a new car instead. Same with a dying transmission. Time for a new car. Or a good used one. Nobody scraps their airplane because it has a leaking fuel bladder or low compression.

And download the error codes that points at malfunctions and underperforming parts.

You know, if being an AP or IA paid better, there wouldn't be a labor shortage. The problem is, "we" wouldn't want to pay more. My own shop is awesome but most of the people working at it are in their 50's. I'm not worried about today, I'm worried about tomorrow.

That seems to be a fairly common business model, actually.

One issue is owners plan on what is convenient for them and when the Annual is due. Not when best for the shop.

Some folks pick a month and stick with it. Others do the “ 13 month and start” routine. At times these can bunch up and the inspecting agency can’t handle it.
You can’t hire people for a month or two. Medical offices are typically scheduling 6 to 12 months ahead for appointments.

You can’t hire people for a month or two. Medical offices are typically scheduling 6 to 12 months ahead for appointments.

Well, in fairness, the medical scheduling issue is different. Let's not make the mistake of false-equating the demand inelasticity of medical care, with the tacit approval of something as discretionary as tinkering with some orphaned, 1st generation era domestic appliance equivalent.

You know, if being an AP or IA paid better, there wouldn't be a labor shortage.
Actually they are paying better just not in the Part 91 world. So anyone coming out of A&P school is going straight the 135/121 side at a competitive wage. The main problem driving the shortage is lack of interest by the current generation from what I hear.

We never did that. If we couldn't get at it promptly, we told the customer and he could take it somewhere else. The basic problem was that there were few other places to take it.

And we kept the customer in the loop as to what we found and whether we had permission to fix it.

Not ALL FBOs are like I said, but there seems to be a number like that.

The FBO/shop at my field is very good about quoting times (when it is in their control) and keeping people in the loop.

That's just it, the aviation maintenance industry is not like most businesses. There have been several discussions on PoA on this but most don't understand it. There are variables that other type businesses don't have to deal with and can work right through without a hitch. Unfortunately, one broken stud or an IA out sick can throw a well planned out weekly schedule into a 2 month backlog in the blink of an eye. Even one-man shops can get into situations which bring the work flow to a halt. It was one of the reasons I got out of the ad hoc mx business as in my case any unexpected issue would automatically come with a 7 day delay as I also maintained a day job. However, not keeping the customer in the loop is just a lack of good customer service which to me is more a social issue and a similar problem in many other service industries.

Except, if you keep in touch with people and tell them what is going on, they can deal with it.

But to drop an airplane off for a 2 week annual (based on previous years) then 2 months later not having even started, without communicating this, it not a reasonable business practice.

Yup. But there are other factors. So many kids have grown up in homes where Dad doesn't do any of his own maintenance on anything, and so the kid never gets any inspiration from it.

Some mechanics leave the profession for greener pastures, like truck shops, that pay more. The owners of ageing GA airplanes are often notoriously cheap, and the GA shop can't afford to pay better to compete with the other industries.
I was fortunate enough where that didn't happen to me. Hell, I was 3 when my parents let me drive the gas golf cart (sans governor) in the parking lot family business... located on a 4 lane highway. I couldn't touch the pedals so I had to stand. I was largely unsupervised and I'm pretty sure someone would be in jail today for child neglect. By the time I was a freshman in high school I was racing stock cars against men. Changing rear end gears twice every weekend as we raced Friday Saturday and Sunday at 3 different tracks. Greasing bearings with zero weight grease aka snot. Tuning carbs and gapping plugs. Sure was expensive but it kept me out of trouble. Go to a party...or work on the cars to go racing?

But 15 years removed and now hiring kids from high school that have had some vocational training, none have any mechanical capability. It's not their fault. But when I ask for a 5/16" wrench they bring me a 15/16". Sigh

Actually they are paying better just not in the Part 91 world. So anyone coming out of A&P school is going straight the 135/121 side at a competitive wage. The main problem driving the shortage is lack of interest by the current generation from what I hear.

I think there is interest but the younger generation going into a trade literally want to start like right away. If you have to follow a school year, the application process, plus the fees, it increases the barrier to entry.

The govt spends a lot of money on airport improvements but not on getting mechanics trained. Flying is already expensive, increased labor and mx costs are problematic too.

I think there is interest but the younger generation going into a trade literally want to start like right away.
Perhaps that's how it is in your area, but that's not what I'm seeing in my area and there is a solid aviation base in the region. The numbers interested just aren't there as they used to be and I've been helping people toward their A&P for over 25 years. While I don't know about other trades, everyone I deal with all understand there is a time requirement to get the A&P and is usually one of the reasons they get directed in my direction. In my opinion, the ones that are interested in the technical side of aviation have shifted toward the drone and simulation industries vs the standard variety of aircraft. The few people I still do assist with the OJT route to an A&P seem to indicate the same. If commercial aviation gets back on the growth track predicted pre-covid, there's going to be a serious problem on the private Part 91 side when it comes to maintenance services. Time will tell.

Actually they are paying better just not in the Part 91 world...main problem...is lack of interest by the current generation.

Auto mechanics get paid better than them. The "lack of interest" is the free market talking. Can't blame people for deciding to trade their time for more money doing a very similar job, now can ya? It's that whole "nobody wants to work ...for what they're willing to pay" thing.

Can't blame people for deciding to trade their time for more money doing a very similar job, now can ya
Not at all. But there simply isnt the numbers of young people who want to be an aviation mechanic, car mechanic, truck mechanic, and so on. Maybe if they started paying more than pilots you'll get some of that crowd to turn a wrench but doubtful. Regardless, they already went through "nobody wants to work ...for what they're willing to pay" thing in the 2000s when most commercial wages tripled. Now nobody is simply not interested in this side of aviation. Curious, what wage do you think it would take tk redraw their interest?

Curious, what wage do you think it would take tk redraw their interest?
A lot more than what I was making when I retired, for sure. And that will increase the cost of aircraft ownership and will result in fewer airplanes flying and more ramp queens.

When I was teaching Aircraft Systems for Pilots, there were only a few that would be interested in going on and getting a maintenance license. Maybe one in 50 students. They had already found that the CPL and IFR were a lot of hard work, and weren't prepared to subject themselves to a further four years (Canada) of training and experience to get it. Many didn't like the work involved in managing an aircraft engine; they were used to their cars. Get in, push a button, push Go or Stop and aim it where you wanted to go. Simple. The airplane doesn't have all that automation so they have to know a lot more, and knowing means studying, and studying is work. And work is anathema to so many.

A lot more than what I was making when I retired, for sure. And that will increase the cost of aircraft ownership and will result in fewer airplanes flying and more ramp queens.
Its this that will keep the Part 91 side in the hole. Nobody will be willing to pay a wage to keep independent APIAs at this level. The commercial side got smart 20 years ago when competing with the airlines and now are somewhat holding their own to attract and keep talent especially the experienced ones. Unfortunately, these higher mechanic wages are encroaching into the pilot wage territory which doesnt fare well for much additional growth at least on the commercial side. When I retired from the day job I made more than entry level pilots but had also been topped out for 10 years. So unless they rebuild the diehard interest in aviation with the up and coming generations as it was in the past, Part 91 aviation will continue its slow slide down the slippery slope.

I feel like a lot of the tolerance for low GA A&P wages was "neato, airplanes" and there seem to be fewer people who feel that way in general lately.

So... wages must fill in that gap.

I paid $145/hr to have my Subaru worked on recently. I am only now seeing similar rates for A&P shops, but the norm still seems to be in the 110-120 range. I think it needs to climb another 40-50 an hour to get the trainee pipeline revved up again and get the tribal knowledge passed on/spread around. I can hear the howling of outrage already :D

I am only now seeing similar rates for A&P shops, but the norm still seems to be in the 110-120 range. I think it needs to climb another 40-50 an hour to get the trainee pipeline revved up again
Does that $150+ shop rate increase also include the independent APIAs who have a small one-man shop at the smaller local airports? You had a shop. What average wage do you think needs to be paid to attract/retain a 3-5 year A&P in a shop environment? What entry level wage do you think will restart the "trainee pipeline" again for Part 91 private aircraft? Forget geographical COL issues for now.

Does that $150+ shop rate increase also include the independent APIAs who have a small one-man shop at the smaller local airports? You had a shop. What average wage do you think needs to be paid to attract/retain a 3-5 year A&P in a shop environment? What entry level wage do you think will restart the "trainee pipeline" again for Part 91 private aircraft? Forget geographical COL issues for now.

I sold my shop in 2015. I couldn't get an IA *then* under 6 figures -- not one worth anything. Reasonable 3-5yr A&Ps would be 70-80k and still somewhat flaky or with "a story". You could get disinterested green A&Ps under 50k, but they'd be more of a menace than a help.

I was competing in Los Angeles with Disneyland and the majors. The ones who stayed with us did so because we could train them in one of our house aircraft and they loved GA. We were starting to think about doing our own in-house training from zero (shudder) when our DOM passed away.

So I think now? yeah, 100-120k for the 3-5yr AP to pry them out of the majors. 150k for an IA. And they'll likely need a dental plan and 401k. Heck losing the "I love GA and find it interesting" bit may need another 20+k. I can't imagine taking a non-certified trainee on for less than 20/hr. That's what the burger joints are paying.

This is a HCOL area perspective, but it's pretty dire here -- and the HCOL areas may brain drain the MCOL areas, so this problem is gonna cascade I think.

This is a HCOL area perspective,
It’s always amazed me of the COL differences/rates found in CA and HI. But to get a useful comparison we’ll convert your COL to my area. The charts show a 40% difference but we’ll use 30% so that makes your $100-120K and $150K equal to $70-84K and $105k respectively. The 135 operators in my area have been paying these type wages for years and they include insurance and matching 401k.

Airline competition is more location based as a number of 135/145 operators have matched money on the maintenance side and are no longer direct competition, in general, as they were 20+ years ago. At least not in this region. So the main competition/comparison for the small shops/independent APIAs is mainly the established 135/145 ops especially if they are also competing directly for the same customers.

Where the Part 91 small shop/independents do excel on the job front is they’re local, offer 8-5 schedules, lower stress, and a more laid back clientele. Which I take it was similar to your shop? But this comes at a cost, lower wages based on what the local market and clientele will bear.

and they loved GA
This is the one thing I’ve seen slowly disappearing over the past 15 years from the up and coming A&Ps. They have zero desire for small Part 91 ops. They would rather work 7&7, nights, in the marsh on turbine helicopters than twist a wrench on a 172. Or most would rather move away and find an opportunity other than work Part 91 local. In the last 10 years only one of the individuals I helped with their A&P went into the local Part 91 side, but that was more due to the “family effect” than anything else.

I hope it changes. But simply paying $45-$50/hr to attract warm A&P bodies without that drive leads to the “menacing and story issues” you described. Its becoming more than just money to attract the caliber of people you want working on your weekend flying machines which is unfortunate.

I grew up looking up every time an airplane or helicopter flew by. And still do it today. Now, most up and comers, even the dedicated ones, I find don’t and instead pull their phone out to see who it is or where its going on flightaware or the adsbexchange. I think there’s a moral somewhere in that story. Regardless, I've been helping people get into this profession for many years just as the old guys did for me and will continue to do so for as long as I can.

Back