Labor shortages are annoying.

If one thinks about it, GA is already 99.9% safe if one follows the regulations. That last 0.1% is being pursued by regulators; they mistakenly think they can eliminate all accidents.

This is really off topic, but your comment made me recall an announcement by the City of Dallas last month that received much play in local media.

The city council declared they were establishing a "Vision Zero" (don'tcha love gov speak?) effort to completely eliminate traffic fatalities in the city by 2030. There were 222 fatalities in 2021.

I'm all for advancing safety, but it's ridiculous to presume spending millions on such a plan will result in zero traffic deaths in a city with a population of 1.2 million and growing. It's stuff like this that further advances the public's perception that politicians are idiots.

This is really off topic, but your comment made me recall an announcement by the City of Dallas last month that received much play in local media.

The city council declared they were establishing a "Vision Zero" (don'tcha love gov speak?) effort to completely eliminate traffic fatalities in the city by 2030. There were 222 fatalities in 2021.

I'm all for advancing safety, but it's ridiculous to presume spending millions on such a plan will result in zero traffic deaths in a city with a population of 1.2 million and growing. It's stuff like this that further advances the public's perception that politicians are idiots.

then you don't want to think about the cost of installing backup cameras in every vehicle sold in the US... how many people are killed by cars backing up?

then you don't want to think about the cost of installing backup cameras in every vehicle sold in the US... how many people are killed by cars backing up?

Or the mandate to equip all new vehicles with passive alcohol detection by 2025.

Fools. Idiots.

Most GA shops pay so low for mx that its hard to take them seriously.

Ill take regional/legacy shift for for $40/hr full bennies and flight benefits over $25/hr ga all day every day and twice and Saturday

In case anyone is wondering, the annual on my plane still isn't finished.

Is the INSPECTION completed?

Too late this time but you may want an alternate next time.

One option may be to do Owner Assist in your hangar. If you can do open, clean ,close etc the process can be accelerated.

The actual INSPECTION portion is not that long. You may find an IA that will do this part and leave you a list of discrepancies. Having your paperwork in order helps a lot. These squawks can be addressed by any A & P or Repair Station.

Too many people put off issues till the Annual. Then it’s troubleshooting , ordering backlogged parts and waiting to have them fixed. That is why many inspections drag on.

There are those that look down at “ Traveling Techs” . The nice carpets and receptionists some shops have are not free. When all is said and done it is the INTEGRITY of the Inspector and not the venue that determines the quality.

This same shop has done the work on this plane for decades. Never had a problem like this before. The inspection isn’t completed. But it think that part is almost finished.

There was nothing obviously wrong with it. I flew it over and dropped off with no issues. we don’t defer maintenance. We have it all done. The problem is they just did t start until months after I dropped it off.

Well, the shop called to say the work is finally finished, and they are just completing the logs. Over three months for the annual inspection and to complete the work.

I thought Annual means it takes a year?

Labor shortages are a pain, absolutely, however it amounts to a first world annoyance.

when the opposite is true there are breadlines. Not enough jobs for laborers cause real pain, foreclosures, hunger and/or higher need for public assistance to avoid such.

I tell my fellow business owners if you think people making too much money hurts you, have them not make enough and see which one hurts worse…

Labor shortages are a pain, absolutely, however it amounts to a first world annoyance.

when the opposite is true there are breadlines. Not enough jobs for laborers cause real pain, foreclosures, hunger and/or higher need for public assistance to avoid such.

I tell my fellow business owners if you think people making too much money hurts you, have them not make enough and see which one hurts worse…
Be careful what you ask for, as it can always be worse.

Here's another 1st world annoyance. I always get annoyed when people claim something is a 1st world problem. Can't people in the 1'st world have problems that they would like to see corrected? Or should we all just expect to be reduced to living like the poorest person on earth?

Here's another 1st world annoyance. I always get annoyed when people claim something is a 1st world problem. Can't people in the 1'st world have problems that they would like to see corrected? Or should we all just expect to be reduced to living like the poorest person on earth?

valid point and Absolutely not! My greater point is a laborer shortage is far less painful than job shortage. A job shortage is a much faster shortcut to mass poverty than a labor shortage.

But I’d rather have a delay in products and service than mass unemployment. As a business owner I’m out of biz much faster if there’s a job shortage en mass than a labor shortage. People with no job spend no money and biz is caput fast. Labor shortage causes challenges but more easily overcome than unemployed customers.

a labor shortage is a pain in arse, job shortage is deeply painful for a society. Ones a pain in the butt one causes real and huge problems.

That’s the goal the airlines and FAA set and have vastly improved air safety since that was the goal. Not sure they should set the goal as 125 deaths. Why not have the goal high, then if ya miss it’s a better result than missing a less lofty goal…

My annual took 3 months and 1 week.
The biggest chunk of that was waiting for parts, some, like the exhaust system and all new baffling had to be hand made.
And expensive.

It can be difficult trying to determine what parts are available.

A bud had a “rare” aircraft ( Cessna 150!) with the “ Unknown” TCM O-200.
The Accessory Case needed replacement and none could be found.

It took 6 months before the factory could make one. Then it had to be sent back
as the Wet Pump Oil Return was left out.

btw The Acc Case wore out before the Wet Vacuum Pump!

Welp, I went to go pick the plane up this weekend, but the NAV lights weren't working on pre-flight, so I had to leave the plane. Hopefully, they can figure that our quickly before the weather takes a turn for the worse.

Back