KRDU

vkhosid

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
94V
Hey guys...quick question here.

I'm supposed to be flying into RDU at the end of the month 29th-ish with my girlfriend for a wedding we're supposed to go to in Chapel Hill. She knows I have my PPL but hasn't actually been up with me (the opportunity just hasn't come up yet). I figure since we'll be in Chapel Hill over the weekend (and into monday), scheduling a short flight might not be a bad idea.

Any suggestions of where to go and who to talk to?

Thanks!

First why KRDU? Why not Chapel Hill (KIGX)? RDU charges $25 plus $10/day, plus big airport hassels.

Sounds like he was flying the airlines there and then looking to rent local.

Rdu is pricey and has $$ fuel. There are cheaper and better alternatives if you are flying private. Raleigh executive, chapel hill and others would serve you better. Flying the airlines Rdu is the closest.

RDU may be slightly pricey for fuel, but Atlantic treated me nice (I flew over to get a crew car to drive to the DNR on the state campus to title my boat).

RDU may be slightly pricey for fuel, but Atlantic treated me nice (I flew over to get a crew car to drive to the DNR on the state campus to title my boat).
There is no Atlantic at RDU.

It's either TAC Air or Landmark

...and I'm not sure if there is anything but fuel at Chapel Hill. They seem eternally on the verge of shutting down. What is the story over there?

...and I'm not sure if there is anything but fuel at Chapel Hill. They seem eternally on the verge of shutting down. What is the story over there?

I have made several attempts to fly over to the Raleigh area. I've emailed the guy over at IGX and every time he's been very accommodating, stating "yup, c'mon over anytime". I have yet to make it due to weather but eventually I will. not sure what the actual status is tho.

plus big airport hassels.

It's funny how perspectives change. I was just in RDU two weeks ago, and remember commenting how cool it is to fly into 'podunk airports' every so often. No stress! Heh! :D

It's funny how perspectives change. I was just in RDU two weeks ago, and remember commenting how cool it is to fly into 'podunk airports' every so often. No stress! Heh! :D
How true. When I moved here I was surprised to hear how pilots were put off by the prospect of flying into busy RDU. Had to chuckle how if you added the nearby GSO Class C and added about 100,000 OP's per year, you'd about equal the operations at my old Class D home base.

RDU is a very easy Class C with very accommodating controllers.

To the OP, sorry I can't help too much, still being relatively new here. Unless the trip you are planning is long enought to go to the mountains or to the ocean, my best suggestion is to pick a nearby airport with access to a restaurant or crew car.or just fly around and come back. The general area is definitely pretty enough for simple sightseeing with some beautiful lakes nearby.

Might also check the Social Flight calendar. A number of local airports have open house hospitality days this time of year.

RDU is easy. Tho $7 100LL and a serious ramp fee, especially at Landmark.

If flying commercial there is a flying club there and you could rent a plane with a check out. Call ahead. TTA also has rental aircraft as does LHZ. I do not know about IGX.

This entire area is pretty easy and nice to fly around.

I would also propose that if you're looking to impress someone, one of these higher class airports/FBOs may have a lot more to offer in customer service and flash. Other than the hit to your credit card, the experience is usually top notch. Can't speak to RDU specifically....I've never been there.

There is no Atlantic at RDU.

It's either TAC Air or Landmark

OK, TacAir. I couldn't remember what it changed to after Southern Jet.

I probably bought fuel but otherwise it wasn't too unreasonable (compared to other big city places I've been into). Got me a bag of popcorn and use of a car for an hour out of the deal.

Might also check the Social Flight calendar. A number of local airports have open house hospitality days this time of year.

Yep, this weekend is Laney's over by Charlotte one of the biggest (and completely free). The weather is going to suck however. Our fly-in got rained out on both the primary date and the rain date last weekend (a couple of us still had large parties in our hangars).

I'm supposed to be flying into RDU at the end of the month 29th-ish with my girlfriend for a wedding we're supposed to go to in Chapel Hill. She knows I have my PPL but hasn't actually been up with me (the opportunity just hasn't come up yet). I figure since we'll be in Chapel Hill over the weekend (and into monday), scheduling a short flight might not be a bad idea.

Still not quite clear if the idea is to fly in, or to rent once here. If you're flying in, and going to Chapel Hill, you may as well fly directly to Chapel Hill (IGX). They are constantly on the verge of shutting down in the political/university world, but they're definitely fully operational at the moment, and probably will be for a while.

I've also flown into RDU from afar, and it's very easy, as really it's a quiet field with very accommodating controllers. I used Atlantic in the past, but didn't do much comparison. It wasn't terribly expensive compared to other "big" airports.

If the idea is to rent once you get here, and you don't want to drive 45 minutes to do it, your options are more limited. I can recommend FlightGest at RDU. They'll require a check-out of course, but are very friendly. And they're on the expensive side (I forget the exact numbers, but figure $150/hour for a G1000 172), but for a one-off flight you might not care. They're a reasonably-sized flight school, with all of the advantages and disadvantages that come with that. There's also Blue Line Aviation at RDU. Don't know too much about them.

Further afield, there's Empire Aviation up at Oxford/Henderson (HNZ), Burlington Aviation and the (single-plane) Elon Aviation at Burlington Alamance (BUY), and a couple of options I know nothing about down at Sanford (TTA). But honestly, if you're trying to impress your girlfriend, I'd just eat the extra cost and go with FlightGest where I know the operation will be professional (front desk and everything) and the planes are presentable.

In terms of where to go flying, if you or your girlfriend have any connection to Duke or UNC, the RDU controllers are happy to let you do air tours of the area without any trouble (the C is very lazy). (They'll be happy to let you do air tours if you don't have any connection too, it just might not be interesting for you.) You could also fly down to Carthage (5NC3) where there's a decent BBQ place right on the field, with outdoor seating looking out on the runway. If you have a little more time and want to make a half-day trip, get out to the outer banks (Ocracoke, W95 for beach/town fun; Kitty Hawk, FFA for airplane history) or Asheville (AVL) or something. And there's always the "just fly around" option!

Not a lot to add to this, pretty much nails it all....other than take cash to 5NC3 if you go down there to eat at the Pik-n-Pig. They don't take plastic and close at 3:00 on Sunday.

Still not quite clear if the idea is to fly in, or to rent once here. If you're flying in, and going to Chapel Hill, you may as well fly directly to Chapel Hill (IGX). They are constantly on the verge of shutting down in the political/university world, but they're definitely fully operational at the moment, and probably will be for a while.

I've also flown into RDU from afar, and it's very easy, as really it's a quiet field with very accommodating controllers. I used Atlantic in the past, but didn't do much comparison. It wasn't terribly expensive compared to other "big" airports.

If the idea is to rent once you get here, and you don't want to drive 45 minutes to do it, your options are more limited. I can recommend FlightGest at RDU. They'll require a check-out of course, but are very friendly. And they're on the expensive side (I forget the exact numbers, but figure $150/hour for a G1000 172), but for a one-off flight you might not care. They're a reasonably-sized flight school, with all of the advantages and disadvantages that come with that. There's also Blue Line Aviation at RDU. Don't know too much about them.

Further afield, there's Empire Aviation up at Oxford/Henderson (HNZ), Burlington Aviation and the (single-plane) Elon Aviation at Burlington Alamance (BUY), and a couple of options I know nothing about down at Sanford (TTA). But honestly, if you're trying to impress your girlfriend, I'd just eat the extra cost and go with FlightGest where I know the operation will be professional (front desk and everything) and the planes are presentable.

In terms of where to go flying, if you or your girlfriend have any connection to Duke or UNC, the RDU controllers are happy to let you do air tours of the area without any trouble (the C is very lazy). (They'll be happy to let you do air tours if you don't have any connection too, it just might not be interesting for you.) You could also fly down to Carthage (5NC3) where there's a decent BBQ place right on the field, with outdoor seating looking out on the runway. If you have a little more time and want to make a half-day trip, get out to the outer banks (Ocracoke, W95 for beach/town fun; Kitty Hawk, FFA for airplane history) or Asheville (AVL) or something. And there's always the "just fly around" option!

Not a lot to add to this, pretty much nails it all....other than take cash to 5NC3 if you go down there to eat at the Pik-n-Pig. They don't take plastic and close at 3:00 on Sunday.

I'll second that emotion! Flew into Pinehurst and drove to Carthage wit my in laws, great food and a really neat place!:yes:

Sorry guys, thanks for all the info. I should have been more clear. I'm flying commercial into RDU thursday night from SFO. And may have a day or so free while i'm there. That's when i'm (hopefully) going to have a chance to go up for a little bit. So renting is the name of the game.

Sorry guys, thanks for all the info. I should have been more clear. I'm flying commercial into RDU thursday night from SFO. And may have a day or so free while i'm there. That's when i'm (hopefully) going to have a chance to go up for a little bit. So renting is the name of the game.

500' above Kerr Lake will be very nice flight out of RDU this time of year. Go into the lake near Henderson and come out at Roanoke Rapids.

Watch out for the tower near the dam.

You can bring plastic, but you'll have to use it in the ATM machine on premises.

The food is fantastic and the approach fun to do. Surprised I didn't think of that obvious choice for a nearby destination!:rolleyes2:

Two good choices for renting, but you will, of course need a checkout.

At KRDU, I'd recommend FlightGest. At KTTA, I'd recommend Executive Flight Training (disclaimer-I teach with Executive).

KBUY is a bit closer to Chapel Hill than KTTA. I know they have a school/rental operation but don;t know much about it.

Don't forget you're going to either need to get a rental checkout with an instructor first, or take the instructor along and put your gf in the back seat.

You can bring plastic, but you'll have to use it in the ATM machine on premises.

The food is fantastic and the approach fun to do. Surprised I didn't think of that obvious choice for a nearby destination!:rolleyes2:

Good tidbit. The ATM is new to me.

My favorite at the Piknpig (and you have to ask for it because it's no longer on the menu but they still make it) is the barbecue sundae. A sundae glass with layers of barbecue, potatoes, slaw, etc... with a hushpuppy on the top rather than a cherry.

My favorite at the Piknpig (and you have to ask for it because it's no longer on the menu but they still make it) is the barbecue sundae. A sundae glass with layers of barbecue, potatoes, slaw, etc... with a hushpuppy on the top rather than a cherry.
Isn't there some thread around about whether we meet the FAA 170 lbs "average" person?

I think John M. covered most of the rental options I'm aware of. There might be something for rent down at KTTA through Dillon Aviation (Diamond DA-20/DA-40) or Executive Flight training (Warrior & Cherokee 140). You almost certainly have to do an hour checkout flight.

As far as places to go, I'd recommend Ocracoke Island (W95) on the coast. It's about an hour flight from Raleigh and you land at a deserted airport right between the beach and the little fishing village of Ocracoke - just the two of you. A walk over the dunes puts you on the beach and I understand you can call someone in the village (I don't know who - anyone know?) and they will drive over in a golf cart and pick you up for lunch. No runway lighting, you have to be off before sunset or you're trapped. Sea breezes can also be an issue later in the afternoon because the runway is parallel to the beach, but that's usually a bigger concern on landing than takeoff.

Alternately North Myrtle Beach is an hour flight away but it's more of a resort town.

As far as places to go, I'd recommend Ocracoke Island (W95) on the coast. It's about an hour flight from Raleigh and you land at a deserted airport right between the beach and the little fishing village of Ocracoke - just the two of you. A walk over the dunes puts you on the beach and I understand you can call someone in the village (I don't know who - anyone know?) and they will drive over in a golf cart and pick you up for lunch.

It's Howard's Pub (http://www.howardspub.com/) - they sometimes listen on the CTAF for W95 and will dispatch the golf cart if asked. If they don't answer on the radio, you can just call them via cell phone on the ground.

It's only about a 10 minute walk to Howard's Pub if you prefer, instead of the golf cart.

Another option at W95 is to rent bikes from Ocracoke Island Realty (http://www.ocracokeislandrealty.com/OuterBanks/VacationRentals/BeachOutfitters/). If you call in advance w/ a credit card, they'll leave the bikes for you locked up at the airport (and tell you the combination). So once you land, you just walk over, unlock the bikes, and explore the island for the day. If you've never been there before and have a few hours to explore, I'd recommend that instead of just going to lunch at the pub.

I'm familiar with Ocracoke having been there on a bunch of vacations by ferry and by sailboat. What I haven't done yet is fly out there. My plan has been to fly down to Manteo and then follow the outer banks down. That adds flight time, but fits my idea of safe. Am I being a chicken by not taking the direct route across Pamlico Sound? I'm talking Cessna 172, not a twin.

I reckon this points out the renter mindset..... Or it's just me. Not sure it's worth the extra flight time to drop in on Howard's Pub vs. land next to where the Wright Bros first flew and call it good.

Oh, and thanks to the previous poster for the bicycle rental idea. That does sound perfect for exploring Ocracoke for the umteenth time. :D

Hmm..it's a 17 mile crossing, 9 minutes at 100 kts. The halfway point is 8.5 mile or 44,000 ft. Assuming a 8:1 glide ratio you need an altitude at 5500 to be able to glide to the beach, so 6500 or 7500 does the job easily.

Manteo to Ocracoke (and maybe down to Morehead City, then return to RDU) is a very scenic flight and the correct direction to fly it for a passenger to enjoy it.

Pilot's mindset. Which one will your girl like better, the birthplace of flight or a beach alone with you?

You're making a lot of sense, Mr. Flynn. Thanks.

Just be aware of all the restricted airspace in and around pamlico sound. Easy enough to deal with cherry point, but there is enough stuff moving out there you want to be talking to them. IMHO

They are usually pretty good about working with you and keeping you out of trouble.

BUMP.

so I reckon I'm fixin to fly into IGX on Friday to catch the Rangers/Hurricanes game. things are still just 'weird' over there, but I spoke with the airport mgr and he says "we're listed as public but actually still private, we appreciate a phone call to let us know when you're coming in but it should rarely be an issue, and there's a $10/night fee regardless of getting fuel or not".

then I started poking around online and found the video below. u don't really need to watch the whole thing, it's basically about the whiny fks living around the airport who want it closed down due to noise and 'danger', and also the school who wants to build a whole new campus on the land. but if you're bored, here it is:

TPA is 2k' agl, I imagine that's a noise abatement thang cause I'm not seeing any tall towers near the pattern.

Let's go Rangers!

how are the thrashers doing? oh wait.............

Yeah, that hurts too. 2nd time for me.

I am originally from Connecticut and was a Whaler season ticket holder. After moving to Atlanta, I was excited about the Thrashers and was at the very first game. Losing two teams really soured me on pro hockey for a while. Since Carolina hired Mr. Whaler, Ronnie Francis as GM, I decided I would get on board with them.

Yeah, that hurts too. 2nd time for me.

I am originally from Connecticut and was a Whaler season ticket holder. After moving to Atlanta, I was excited about the Thrashers and was at the very first game. Losing two teams really soured me on pro hockey for a while. Since Carolina hired Mr. Whaler, Ronnie Francis as GM, I decided I would get on board with them.

wanna go to the game? I mean, even if we had to suffer in the pilatus, I'd still go.....

BUMP.

so I reckon I'm fixin to fly into IGX on Friday to catch the Rangers/Hurricanes game. things are still just 'weird' over there, but I spoke with the airport mgr and he says "we're listed as public but actually still private, we appreciate a phone call to let us know when you're coming in but it should rarely be an issue, and there's a $10/night fee regardless of getting fuel or not".

I've flown down to Raleigh a few times to catch the watch the Capitals play the 'Canes. We always flew into RDU each time and have used both FBOs. Both are fine, we bought some expensive gas to avoid some fees, but booked the rental car through the FBO for a very cheap crew rate. One advantage of flying into RDU is you'll probably park near the visiting team's chartered jet. Also they have the rental car on the ramp waiting for you too, so you get baller points if you're bringing friends.

Let's go Rangers!
Rags. Sigh. Why not head down to Sunrise Florida and watch them with the rest of your carpetbagging Rangers fans? :)

I've flown down to Raleigh a few times to catch the watch the Capitals play the 'Canes. We always flew into RDU each time and have used both FBOs. Both are fine, we bought some expensive gas to avoid some fees, but booked the rental car through the FBO for a very cheap crew rate. One advantage of flying into RDU is you'll probably park near the visiting team's chartered jet. Also they have the rental car on the ramp waiting for you too, so you get baller points if you're bringing friends.

Rags. Sigh. Why not head down to Sunrise Florida and watch them with the rest of your carpetbagging Rangers fans? :)

I just might do that!

I don't know why I'm picking IGX over RDU. I figure I'll head that way a few more times and next time I'll do RDU.

Back