KRDU

I would use RDU for going to the game. Much closer. From IGX you will drive past RDU on the way to the arena.

...and I'm not sure if there is anything but fuel at Chapel Hill. They seem eternally on the verge of shutting down. What is the story over there?

Sounds like a great airport to visit, get them some more traffic, save money, and (shy of hangar worthy weather), it has all you need, place to land, place to tie the plane down and go juice.

Unfortunately, it's not a great airport to visit. They really don't want you there. I have done charters there for games and had to walk two miles to get something to eat because they have no crew car and no one willing to give you a ride. It's either walk or call a cab. Watching the video linked in this thread, I wish I could have flown there in its heyday, rather than the sad state it's in today.

Unfortunately, it's not a great airport to visit. They really don't want you there. I have done charters there for games and had to walk two miles to get something to eat because they have no crew car and no one willing to give you a ride. It's either walk or call a cab. Watching the video linked in this thread, I wish I could have flown there in its heyday, rather than the sad state it's in today.

I'd get a cab or a uber, between what you'll save on ramp and fuel fees, plus not having the large airport hassle, seems like a slam dunk.

Some of my favorite airports didn't even have a FBO or pilots lounge, fast easy and cheap, just like how I like my..never mind

RDU is definitely MUCH closer. fuel is $2.20/gallon more expensive at RDU, which is just stupid but I'll pay extra in uber from IGX. I dunno wtf to do, sheesh, decisions decisions. I'm more nervous about the taxiways at RDU than anything else. I might just do RDU. or IGX. lemme call up tac and landmark and find out if either will have a red carpet and bottles of water waiting for me when I get there.

It's not the lack of services that bothers me. It's the feeling that they really don't want you there. Not so much the folks that work there, but the owners of the airport.

IGX:
fuel: $4.62
pkng: $10/nite regardless of fuel purchase

TAC @ RDU:
fuel: $6.82
$15 landing fee waived with 10gal or topoff
$5 'some other fee' not waived for anything
$10/nite ramp parking or $60/nite hangar

Signature (the FBO formerly known as Landmark) @ RDU:
$25 handling fee waived with 7 gallons

so far Signature is winning.

will edit this when I get more details

Been to both IGX & RDU. IGX wins for cheaper fuel and close to my brother-in-law's house if he's going to pick us up, RDU if I need a rental car or odd hour arrival/departure.

Cautions about IDX: 1) if they're busy (game day weekends?), they may be short on tiedowns, and 2) no taxiways, so you have to be especially alert (when I was on short final, after announcing my position, a Mooney pulled onto the opposite end of the runway to take off in my direction(!)).

RDU is definitely MUCH closer. fuel is $2.20/gallon more expensive at RDU, which is just stupid but I'll pay extra in uber from IGX. I dunno wtf to do, sheesh, decisions decisions. I'm more nervous about the taxiways at RDU than anything else. I might just do RDU. or IGX. lemme call up tac and landmark and find out if either will have a red carpet and bottles of water waiting for me when I get there.

"Progressive taxi"

No worries

You should know that IGX is an hour+ drive from the arena and is kinda out in the middle of nowhere.

IGX is owned by the State. I don't know how it can be "kinda private" except through mismanagement.

You should know that IGX is an hour+ drive from the arena and is kinda out in the middle of nowhere.

IGX is owned by the State. I don't know how it can be "kinda private" except through mismanagement.

I think it IS private, but for some reason listed as public. pretty sure I've decided to do RDU.

RDU ain't that bad. I've gone there a few times. One time I had cleared the runway and was having a hard time reconciling my taxiway diagram with what I was seeing out the window. While pondering my situation the ground controller automatically switched to progressive taxi mode. They're helpful like that. :)

p.s. my temporary confusion (I WAS NOT LOST!!!) was because I had the taxiway diagram upside down.

Not a lot to add to this, pretty much nails it all....other than take cash to 5NC3 if you go down there to eat at the Pik-n-Pig. They don't take plastic and close at 3:00 on Sunday.

Man, these references to the Pik-N-Pig got me hungry so I tried to look up 5NC3...seems that the identifier has changed to BQ1 (Gilliam-McConnell). I'm going to have to go the next time we fly out to see my brother-in-law :)

I think it IS private, but for some reason listed as public. pretty sure I've decided to do RDU.

The ownership records show it belonging to UNC Chapel Hill, which is part of the state government.

The ownership records show it belonging to UNC Chapel Hill, which is part of the state government.

that's well known. what I questioned the guy about was the fact that it used to be listed as private, but is now listed as public.

RDU PIREP: somewhat busy, be prepared for anything they throw at you, be prepared to switch frequencies often, and make sure you've looked at the airport diagram and are familiar with the taxiways. otherwise it was pretty straight forward. 7 gallons at Sig waived any other fee. you can only "keep your speed up" so much in a lil cherokee 180.

UBER alert: if you're looking to uber somewhere, grab the STREET ADDRESS of sig (or tac) and enter that. all uber and taxi drivers can only pick up in 2 locations at the MAIN TERMINAL, they aren't allowed anywhere else. so if you request a car, the uber app will think you're at the main terminal of the airport, and only give you 2 options to choose from. ENTER THE STREET ADDRESS into uber as the pickup location, immediately send a txt to whatever driver picks up the request that you are at the GENERAL AVIATION terminal, NOT, I repeat NOT the main terminal, and also be prepared for the drivers to be like "huh? whatchoo mean general aviation terminal?!?"

Watched part of the video eman, hope it stays open.

Back