Votes: 12 66.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

WannFly

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Priyo
I figured if we don't start a thread on this, this might never happen. Havent picked a date yet, will look for general consensus, earlier the better and hopefully by that time will get some better weather.

here is the plan:
Pick a Saturday, that way we have Sunday in case wx turns south to get back home. remember some of us are freshly minted VFR super-pilots of POA.

Will grab lunch - someone local suggest a good restaurant

I am planning for Mt. Rushmore, Crazy Horse flight and landing on a couple of high DA airports. Already in touch with @Z06_Mir for that.

so far people who may have shown interest/chimed in are:

@Sinistar - well this kinda is a spin off his thread
@denverpilot
@murphey
@gkainz
@KaiGywer
@Briar Rabbit
@iamtheari
@ArnoldPalmer - u in?

I may have missed a name or two.
open for suggestions on dates etc.

Edit: here is the spreadsheet to track attendance - https://1drv.ms/x/s!AolRXddSgkButPYdbPzhUJmsSGRx7Q

Dates: May 11 - 13

Last edited:
If Clark's sold the Frankenkota, he's welcome to be self-loading cargo in my cherokee.

If you do this in April I can go.
i don't mind Apr either, any Saturday i am game. right now its utter crappy and for the foreseeable future...its utter crappy and not in a KRAPpy way either :(

I will let others chime in

added a poll for dates so we can tally

If we lowly lurkers are welcome, I’d be interested if weather & dates work. Schedule definitely easier Jun-Aug if there’s ever an appetite for a reprise.

If we lowly lurkers are welcome, I’d be interested if weather & dates work. Schedule definitely easier Jun-Aug if there’s ever an appetite for a reprise.
Lurkers are welcome as servers, gas pumpers, windscreen wipers, and other menial types. A completed application and background check is required. There is a background check fee payable to the comptroller. Cash only, no personal checks or credit cards. Thanks for your interest and move to the back of the line.

Lurkers are welcome as servers, gas pumpers, windscreen wipers, and other menial types. A completed application and background check is required. There is a background check fee payable to the comptroller. Cash only, no personal checks or credit cards. Thanks for your interest and move to the back of the line.

Do we have to wear bikinis? I gotta know if I should start shaving now.

Do we have to wear bikinis? I gotta know if I should start shaving now.
You must be thinking of the SFO fly-in. Bikinis, monokinis, and banana hammocks are recommended attire there. A parka and knee-shorts with flip-flops are recommended for krap.

I would love to attend. Hope the date works.

I'm going to be in New Jersey on April 28, unfortunately. The other dates are, at present, possible. It depends on my propeller overhaul, which I was quoted would take 3 weeks to complete. Tomorrow will be my fifth weekly call to check on it.

You must be thinking of the SFO fly-in. Bikinis, monokinis, and banana hammocks are recommended attire there. A parka and knee-shorts with flip-flops are recommended for krap.
You know, we could fly up to Sturgis in biker attire and act confused about the rally only being in August.

All 3 planes booked for my 2 available dates (4/21 and 5/5) - 2 scheduled and 1 in annual ... I'll put in a backup reservation and maybe will make it.

Last edited:
All 3 planes books for my 2 available dates (4/21 and 5/5) - 2 scheduled and 1 in annual ... I'll put in a backup reservation and maybe will make it.
I can stop,by and pick you up.

At this time, yes, I am in.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

I figured if we don't start a thread on this, this might never happen. Havent picked a date yet, will look for general consensus, earlier the better and hopefully by that time will get some better weather.

here is the plan:
Pick a Saturday, that way we have Sunday in case wx turns south to get back home. remember some of us are freshly minted VFR super-pilots of POA.

Will grab lunch - someone local suggest a good restaurant

I am planning for Mt. Rushmore, Crazy Horse flight and landing on a couple of high DA airports. Already in touch with @Z06_Mir for that.

so far people who may have shown interest/chimed in are:

@Sinistar - well this kinda is a spin off his thread
@denverpilot
@murphey
@gkainz
@KaiGywer
@Briar Rabbit
@iamtheari
@ArnoldPalmer - u in?

I may have missed a name or two.
open for suggestions on dates etc.
I will check my work calendar in the morning. I do know April 21 I have a conflict and think May 12 May be a problem for me.

so far May 5 looks like the winning vote

Jealous!

I really want to fly out there sometime. Hope you get a good sized group together. Have fun!

I'll have moved to another state... so me and more importantly my Skywagon won't be there for everyone to oogle ;)

O man... well we are still collecting votes, few haven’t chimed in yet, will know in a day or two I am guessing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd like to be there. Looks like I can just make it on one tank. May 5th is the ONE date I can't make it.

by the way, i might stay back and fly back the next day. its 3 hr flight for me, then another couple of hrs at least on the M.t rushmore thing... and interacting with other POA members.. i might be too tired to fly back...lol

Actually I did vote last night, in favor of the later two dates :)

I too would want to stay overnight as it would be 400nm each way.

Thanks for getting this rolling!! If @denverpilot wants to teach me 182P/mtn/high-DA it would be great!!! If Nate can't make it, perhaps @Z06_Mir could do another lesson for me or have another of his instructors go up with me while @WannFly goes up.

Just checked for airport transportation to/from hotel - 9 in the $50-100/night range. If you'd like, I could invent an ad-hoc Colorado Pilots flyin and see about a group rate.

Just checked for airport transportation to/from hotel - 9 in the $50-100/night range. If you'd like, I could invent an ad-hoc Colorado Pilots flyin and see about a group rate.
go for it. 99.99% i am staying overnight.

Thanks for getting this rolling!! If @denverpilot wants to teach me 182P/mtn/high-DA it would be great!!! If Nate can't make it, perhaps @Z06_Mir could do another lesson for me or have another of his instructors go up with me while @WannFly goes up.

Just for info, I can’t “officially” teach in my 182... not going to put commercial insurance on it. But I’m sure if folks are interested we could gather around the campfire and talk mountain stuff and @Z06_Mir could do “official” stuff that can end up in your logbook.

I’m certainly not against putting someone in the left seat of my airplane with me serving as the legal PIC and wandering around the countryside if the winds and weather are behaving, but it’s not as fun / useful for that person as when they can log it. I’m as comfortable in both seats now and don’t care.

(I stuck my wife over there on our recent lunch flight and she was wondering why at first, so I told her it was in case any young girls were watching from the airport fence. Let ‘em think Karen is PIC! Hell yes! But really I’ll just bounce seats now. Don’t care.)

That’s probably my biggest “bummer” about holding the CFI rating and owning a capable STOL airplane is that I can’t really afford to set it up properly to teach in it. Nor would I, without my co-owner agreeing to it. (And ironically I can teach HIM in it and once I have the CFII done he’s talking like he wants to do his Instrument....)

Sigh. Insurance.

Since passing the ride I’ve been buried in a few backed up projects at the day job, so I haven’t even found time to call local rental places to figure out who’s “Independent instructor friendly” and who’s not.

I think I could also check out at the place I was training at but they don’t have a single retract for any Commerical folks, since they do that “backward” with most getting a multi rating anyway, and the gear up/down rides are done in the Seminole. So maybe for 172/182 stuff there though. Haven’t asked yet. Just haven’t had time.

Only works if there are at least 6 people for the group. Otherwise the hotels aren't interested.

ok so who are all planning to stay overnight? sounds like me and sinister ... anyone else?

Back