• Apr 28

Votes: 6 33.3%
  • May 5

Votes: 10 55.6%
  • May 12

Votes: 12 66.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
expedia shows La Quinta at $81 on May 5. free pickup from airport and drop, free breakfast. i have stayed there before, pretty decent accommodation. have a waterpark in it if someone is interested

Just checked for airport transportation to/from hotel - 9 in the $50-100/night range. If you'd like, I could invent an ad-hoc Colorado Pilots flyin and see about a group rate.

If you park/fuel at Westjet they will make hotel/car arrangements for you and have fixed rates for those (cars can sometimes be had cheaper on your own, just depends. Hotel rates are usually good.) - All the hotels they have rates with have shuttles that are complimentary.

I can't do the earlier dates, but May is probably good. I don't honestly plan anything very far ahead so it's a bit of a KRAPshoot going more than a month ahead. Hah!

Actually I did vote last night, in favor of the later two dates :)

I too would want to stay overnight as it would be 400nm each way.

Thanks for getting this rolling!! If @denverpilot wants to teach me 182P/mtn/high-DA it would be great!!! If Nate can't make it, perhaps @Z06_Mir could do another lesson for me or have another of his instructors go up with me while @WannFly goes up.

What do you fly? I may have another CFI available depending on date(s). Not 100% sure we're doing @WannFly lesson during all this either. Haven't gotten that far!

What do you fly? I may have another CFI available depending on date(s). Not 100% sure we're doing @WannFly lesson during all this either. Haven't gotten that far!

count me in and put me down in your book for the lesson if WX is good.

Just for info, I can’t “officially” teach in my 182... not going to put commercial insurance on it. But I’m sure if folks are interested we could gather around the campfire and talk mountain stuff and @Z06_Mir could do “official” stuff that can end up in your logbook.

I’m certainly not against putting someone in the left seat of my airplane with me serving as the legal PIC and wandering around the countryside if the winds and weather are behaving, but it’s not as fun / useful for that person as when they can log it. I’m as comfortable in both seats now and don’t care.

(I stuck my wife over there on our recent lunch flight and she was wondering why at first, so I told her it was in case any young girls were watching from the airport fence. Let ‘em think Karen is PIC! Hell yes! But really I’ll just bounce seats now. Don’t care.)

That’s probably my biggest “bummer” about holding the CFI rating and owning a capable STOL airplane is that I can’t really afford to set it up properly to teach in it. Nor would I, without my co-owner agreeing to it. (And ironically I can teach HIM in it and once I have the CFII done he’s talking like he wants to do his Instrument....)

Sigh. Insurance.

Since passing the ride I’ve been buried in a few backed up projects at the day job, so I haven’t even found time to call local rental places to figure out who’s “Independent instructor friendly” and who’s not.

I think I could also check out at the place I was training at but they don’t have a single retract for any Commerical folks, since they do that “backward” with most getting a multi rating anyway, and the gear up/down rides are done in the Seminole. So maybe for 172/182 stuff there though. Haven’t asked yet. Just haven’t had time.
Nate, I was thinking more along the lines of you sitting in the right seat of my 182P. You could officially give dual and log it or just give some great advice and cringe at how bad my landings are :) Also, I don't want to step on @Z06_Mir's home turf and training grounds. However, you were like my #1 advisor and "invisible" CFI through my lessons...you would have a chance to see how bad I really turned out to be :) Or I can also just buy you lunch or a couple of beers and shot the bull for a while too!!!

I'll be flying our 182P. No fancy avionics and I am only PPL (not IR). Would like to do the flight there (400nm). Plus one intro to the area flight with a bit on leaning for takeoff, 1st exposure to mountain flying, etc. Maybe the training flight could be later in the day. Then fly home the next morning. Nate had give me so much good advice and also flies a 182P that his name came to mind first. But if its a no-no for Nate to stomp on your territory or he isn't able I would also be 100% open to using one of your instructors. I guess they would need the HP endorsement - but not complex.

I'll be flying our 182P. No fancy avionics and I am only PPL (not IR). Would like to do the flight there (400nm). Plus one intro to the area flight with a bit on leaning for takeoff, 1st exposure to mountain flying, etc. Maybe the training flight could be later in the day. Then fly home the next morning. Nate had give me so much good advice and also flies a 182P that his name came to mind first. But if its a no-no for Nate to stomp on your territory or he isn't able I would also be 100% open to using one of your instructors. I guess they would need the HP endorsement - but not complex.

Nate is not stomping on my territory :) If he can't do it we probably can but certainly not mandatory for us to do it! We've all got complex and hp already and a lot of 182 and 210 time. But like I said, Nate can certainly do it and it won't hurt my feelings at all.

Nate, I was thinking more along the lines of you sitting in the right seat of my 182P. You could officially give dual and log it or just give some great advice and cringe at how bad my landings are :) Also, I don't want to step on @Z06_Mir's home turf and training grounds. However, you were like my #1 advisor and "invisible" CFI through my lessons...you would have a chance to see how bad I really turned out to be :) Or I can also just buy you lunch or a couple of beers and shot the bull for a while too!!!

Ah ok. That’d be fun. I also don’t want to step on @Z06_Mir ‘s toes if he can do something more “official”...

I’d also have to think harder about what “mountain” stuff there is to do up there than he will since it’s his home turf. Honestly I rarely get up there but KRAP is the perfect distance for commercial XCs so it’s on the short list of there, Amarillo, and a couple others for folks who need to bust out a long XC doing checkride prep for the Commercial from here.

If you time any of those right with weather you can do half in daytime and half at night and get the person used to long XCs in the dark... hmmm... it’s kinda hard to know where the horizon is out here, isn’t it? :)

But I don’t wander the Dakotas much. Would like to but haven’t.

Maybe @Z06_Mir can recommend nearby stuff to do as part of a fly-out if this turns into more than just a lunch day in South Dakota! Ha. But I don’t want to sign him up for figuring that out.

@Z06_Mir is a she... i think. coming from CO dont know if you would consider em mountains... but for us flat landers .. its prelty high

I would only be able to make the 28th, as I work every other weekend and already have plans the 12-15th. IF it's that weekend, it would be the wife and I, and we'd be spending the whole weekend.

Latter in May would work for me. Might take a few weeks to reset after the Damn fly in! ;)

It's roughly 5 hours from here, so we'd likely overnight it. Good thing LaQuinta is pet friendly.

If the timing works for me to join in I will definitely stay overnight. Maybe two nights? I will enjoy discussions on mountain flying and other typical flying tales. And probably will take in the Ellis museum before returning. Which FBO and what time should we rendezvous? Wonder if one of the FBO’s would have interest in accommodating some way? I have stayed in the Sleep Inn hotel on the Northeast side of Rapid, I90 & highway 79, which I believe is the same interchange as the La Quinta - two queen beds for $62. Also next to the indoor water park. But any of the several hotels at the interchange look nice and will be fine with me. There are several eating and watering holes within a mile drive in addition to a Cabela’s store I always leave a few bucks with.

Last edited:
I will be flying through KRAP on May 4, bummer. Passing back through May 7 or 8th perhaps if anyone is still lingering.

ok so its looks like May 12 is the winning vote.... I am thinking of going there on Friday evening and take the local flight Sat AM before POA gets there.. I have a feeling we wont accomplish anything once POA meet starts :stirpot:

@WannFly needs to start a google sheet for attendees.

Will be interesting to see if the KRAP fly-in beats out the Dam fly-in for attendance.

[of course the Dam has @eman1200, @SixPapaCharlie, and the pasta people... so that's dam good]

So, I kinda tuned out when this was gonna happen May 5, since I can’t make that day. It might be available on May 12.
What’s the plan and itinerary? Thanks!

@WannFly needs to start a google sheet for attendees.

Will be interesting to see if the KRAP fly-in beats out the Dam fly-in for attendance.

[of course the Dam has @eman1200, @SixPapaCharlie, and the pasta people... so that's dam good]

I am 100 % sure damn fly in will beat the KRAP fly in.... about google sheet... hmm .. will see about that one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Poll is now closed. the winning date is May 12. i changed the thread title to read May 11-13.

here is my plan, others please chime in.

I am taking 11nth off and will be there as soon as i can on 11nth, if weather permits and i get there on time, will do some local flying with @Z06_Mir on Friday itself. I will leave on Sunday . I will start a spreadsheet shortly to track whose comin

shamelessly stolen from @eman1200 i created a similar spread sheet to track who is coming. If you are foking around, please enter Yes under isKidding column.

here is the spreadsheet - https://1drv.ms/x/s!AolRXddSgkButPYdbPzhUJmsSGRx7Q

i also realized that i created this thread under flight following instead of cool places to fly, any mods out there.. could you please move this thread? @Ted DuPuis

I added my info to the list. I think I will stay at the Sleep Inn since I have a preferred member rewards program there, it is within walking distance of the La Quinta. What is the suggested rendezvous time? Which FBO does everyone plan to use, anyone local that has ties to one of them? If we all use the same FBO maybe they will provide a van or transportation so that we could visit the Ellis museum? I will probably stay until at least Monday and make a couple of sales calls while I am there. Where and when is the mountain flying discussion planned? I look forward to meeting other POA members!

I made a couple column additions to the spreadsheet. I'm probably a 50/50 chance of attending, and will probably be self-loading baggage at the whim of another CO POAer (Thanks, Murphy). However, odds are good that I'll be in KRAP at least 2-3 times between now and then.

Last edited:
I added my info to the list. I think I will stay at the Sleep Inn since I have a preferred member rewards program there, it is within walking distance of the La Quinta. What is the suggested rendezvous time? Which FBO does everyone plan to use, anyone local that has ties to one of them? If we all use the same FBO maybe they will provide a van or transportation so that we could visit the Ellis museum? I will probably stay until at least Monday and make a couple of sales calls while I am there. Where and when is the mountain flying discussion planned? I look forward to meeting other POA members!

we are still waiting for other folks to sign up and chime in. @Z06_Mir is local, may be she can recommend a FBO that will work.

I'm in as long as my plane is airworthy that day and the weather allows for it. I would take the Cub but I don't know if the radio will reach the tower from outside of the Class D airspace and I don't want to have to bum a ride from Sturgis Municipal. I'll watch here for details on the festivities. I'm not adding my info to the spreadsheet because I don't know if I will make it and because I don't want @denverpilot to back out when he finds out I might show up. ;)

Leaving my pilot/wife/mommy behind for this awesome fly-in = KRAP^2 :eek:

Actually she's pretty cool about this stuff but I might hit a schedule crunch if she needs to do stuff with her Mom on Sudnay. So I am still in...but I could see this being an issue for some of the crowd.

Maybe @Z06_Mir is chuckling right about now as us guys find a way to wreck yet another sacred mother's day while claiming ignorance until @denverpilot had to speak up :)

so the real Q is... should we look at a diff date? or stick to May 12 and play ignorant?

we are still waiting for other folks to sign up and chime in. @Z06_Mir is local, may be she can recommend a FBO that will work.

I do all my stuff at Westjet. It's technically the only FBO as Rapid Fuel is self service fueling only and no people or other services. The fuel/parking is more expensive but they can make rental cars, hotels, have hangar available etc.

Mother's Day is a non-issue as she was invited to join in. She will probably decide not to go unless there are other wives attending. And if she turns me down - hey she was invited. Nate is your wife going? What could we do for them on Sunday they will enjoy? I added a column to the spreadsheet to show if wives are going.

Radna, do you think you could ask WestJet if they would like to host in some way by possibly providing transportation to anyone that wants to see the Ellis museum, other sites or a lunch location for the group? How much of a premium are we talking for the fuel - maybe it will be cheaper for us to rent a couple vehicles. I am probably looking at 23-25 gallons of fuel for my bird? Any idea how much hangar space is if needed (single engine)?

I'm in as long as my plane is airworthy that day and the weather allows for it. I would take the Cub but I don't know if the radio will reach the tower from outside of the Class D airspace and I don't want to have to bum a ride from Sturgis Municipal. I'll watch here for details on the festivities. I'm not adding my info to the spreadsheet because I don't know if I will make it and because I don't want @denverpilot to back out when he finds out I might show up. ;)

Bring your cell phone along and get the tower by phone?

Looks like we are out.

Karen’s brother is flying into town commercial for a convention the week prior and they want to do Mother’s Day on Saturday for lunch because his tickets are booked to leave Saturday evening out of DEN.

I had permission from my mom to move hers off of Sunday if needed... she’s all cool with the flying fun... but this news on the other side of RV family wipes out Friday night (guys night out! Wooot!) and Saturday for us.

Looks like we are out.

Karen’s brother is flying into town commercial for a convention the week prior and they want to do Mother’s Day on Saturday for lunch because his tickets are booked to leave Saturday evening out of DEN.

I had permission from my mom to move hers off of Sunday if needed... she’s all cool with the flying fun... but this news on the other side of RV family wipes out Friday night (guys night out! Wooot!) and Saturday for us.

Guess I have to just meet u in KAPA. planning something that way in summer ( if we get one this year)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guess I have to just meet u in KAPA. planning something that way in summer ( if we get one this year)

Or we could wander up your way sometime. Like you said, if the weather ever decides what it wants to do.

The inch of mixed hail and snow is melted away / disappeared into the air via sublimation today, with the ridiculous wind that has returned.

Back