Votes: 97 57.1%
  • No

Votes: 70 41.2%
  • Do the sniffles count?

Votes: 3 1.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
According to Ed's way of thinking, they did exactly the right thing. They protected themselves. They weren't responsible for protecting the world. Other countries should have been responsible for themselves, and banned flights from China. ;)

Won't argue that. If each country is treated as an individual, those flights should have been banned in January, and anyone coming back put into isolation.

No, they are responsible for protecting themselves, just as I am for protecting, or not protecting myself. I'm not waltzing through eldercare facilities spitting and coughing on people, and those friends that have said they are isolating completely I have not set foot in their houses, because they asked me not to. I'm not running around throwing small pox blankets on people, or licking peoples faces in the produce section and saying "haha, too bad sucka!" I'm not making decisions for anyone, but they are certainly being forced on me by government mandate - not talking masks here, talking businesses that are still being forced to keep their doors shut by the governor.

I understand you're not doing that, but who out there is? The workers bringing the virus into the elder care facilities aren't maliciously licking doorknobs and catching the virus on purpose to kill the elderly, they probably got it from someone who had it who likely didn't wear a mask or wash their hands properly. That could've been a grocery store, a gas station, a restaurant, a bar, etc. The people they caught it from or the workers themselves may not have been asymptomatic. The virus has a vector to get into those facilities (and other places where the vulnerable are holed up) because some people don't believe they need to wear a mask and social distance and some people believe they need to hang out in a bar with a bunch of other people like we used to before the quarantine. And even people like me who only go to the grocery store to get what I need and return home are exposed to these people because we have to share the same space for essentials like groceries and fuel. The more positive people I am exposed to, the higher likelihood that I become one of those exposed people.

The governor of TX stopped short of requiring bars and etc to close earlier this year and instead just "asked nicely" for people in TX to act responsibly and look what happened to the case numbers in TX. I believe the closures are necessary because some people can't control themselves. Normally, if someone's behavior only impacted them I wouldn't have a single qualm in the world about it. If you want to go out and fly on your own and crash your plane doing something stupid and take no one else with you, more power to you. This situation is not the same - every person has an impact on the end result.

Wasn't aware there were a lot of Trumpers in California:eek::confused::p

Yes, there are a lot. There are also a lot of really stupid people, probably of agnostic political persuasion, who insist on having large parties at their homes and in county parks, where no one is enforcing any form of physical distancing.

No, they are responsible for protecting themselves, just as I am for protecting, or not protecting myself. I'm not waltzing through eldercare facilities spitting and coughing on people, and those friends that have said they are isolating completely I have not set foot in their houses, because they asked me not to. I'm not running around throwing small pox blankets on people, or licking peoples faces in the produce section and saying "haha, too bad sucka!" I'm not making decisions for anyone, but they are certainly being forced on me by government mandate - not talking masks here, talking businesses that are still being forced to keep their doors shut by the governor.

THIS.
If I am to be responsible for Matt’s safety, then he in turn is responsible for MY safety. So, Matt, I need to you follow me around 24/7 and be ready to protect me if I’m about to be mugged, robbed, etc. You had damn well better be there, bucko, since we are all responsible for each other.
No? Fine. I’ll continue to be the only one responsible for ME, as intended.

As far as people saying “masks aren’t going to be forever”, man I chuckle at that. Here we are into our fourth month of that little “2 weeks to ‘flatten the curve’ thing”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As far as people saying “masks aren’t going to be forever”, man I chuckle at that. Here we are into our fourth month of that little “2 weeks to ‘flatten the curve’ thing”.

Okay, I'll bite. Have you seen one of the many graphs showing the exponential rise of cases per day since then? When do you think is an acceptable time to stop wearing masks during a trend like this?
22102.jpeg

Okay, I'll bite. Have you seen one of the many graphs showing the exponential rise of cases per day since then? When do you think is an acceptable time to stop wearing masks during a trend like this?
22102.jpeg

“Now”.

Show me the graph of deaths.

I understand you're not doing that, but who out there is? The workers bringing the virus into the elder care facilities aren't maliciously licking doorknobs and catching the virus on purpose to kill the elderly, they probably got it from someone who had it who likely didn't wear a mask or wash their hands properly. That could've been a grocery store, a gas station, a restaurant, a bar, etc. The people they caught it from or the workers themselves may not have been asymptomatic. The virus has a vector to get into those facilities (and other places where the vulnerable are holed up) because some people don't believe they need to wear a mask and social distance and some people believe they need to hang out in a bar with a bunch of other people like we used to before the quarantine. And even people like me who only go to the grocery store to get what I need and return home are exposed to these people because we have to share the same space for essentials like groceries and fuel. The more positive people I am exposed to, the higher likelihood that I become one of those exposed people.

The governor of TX stopped short of requiring bars and etc to close earlier this year and instead just "asked nicely" for people in TX to act responsibly and look what happened to the case numbers in TX. I believe the closures are necessary because some people can't control themselves. Normally, if someone's behavior only impacted them I wouldn't have a single qualm in the world about it. If you want to go out and fly on your own and crash your plane doing something stupid and take no one else with you, more power to you. This situation is not the same - every person has an impact on the end result.

But the second part of that which you and I won't agree on is what kind of living and contribution are the people in these facilities making? They are most likely past the average life span. Why are we making such an effort to keep people that are only alive, alive? Now that it's out in the wile, I am inclined to let nature run its course.

For me, once it got loose, day 0. I know that's not a popular opinion.

That's also my 85-year-old father's stance. His life revolves around writing music and rehearsing ensembles; outside of his doctor's appointments, that's pretty much the only contact he has with people. He hasn't been able to rehearse his groups in months which pretty much ends many of his reasons for enjoying life at all. He simply can't understand why we're choosing to not live just so we can survive.... especially having lived through the Great Depression, the polio epidemic, World War II, and a host of other things that were FAR worse than COVID.

So your dad was born in the early 1900s? I thought my grandmother was old at 102 born in 1917. And she does not really recall the Great Depression, she as too young. I am impressed your dad is even older and and still doing stuff.

Tim

“Now”.

Show me the graph of deaths.

Okay, sure. Here's the one Google presents to you for the whole US.
upload_2020-7-27_14-11-41.png

The overall rate is down from what it was before but there's an uptick lately. Could be something, could be nothing.

Let's look at the rate for my state, Texas:
upload_2020-7-27_14-12-28.png
Completely different story. Cases are rising significantly. When and where do you recommend wearing masks for these two graphs?

But the second part of that which you and I won't agree on is what kind of living and contribution are the people in these facilities making? They are most likely past the average life span. Why are we making such an effort to keep people that are only alive, alive? Now that it's out in the wile, I am inclined to let nature run its course.

That's their (and their family's) decision, not mine. You and I are both capable of having our own ideas about this without directly impacting their survival chances for the worse. I hope we can at least both agree on that.

That's their (and their family's) decision, not mine. You and I are both capable of having our own ideas about this without directly impacting their survival chances for the worse. I hope we can at least both agree on that.

Yes, but when their family's starts affecting my life (again, not talking masks) I have an issue at that point. But this isn't a family's decision, it's a government mandate, and I have MORE of an issue with that.

Or of the family is REALLY that concerned, grandma needs to be pulled out of the facility, and brought into the family bubble.

Wasn't aware there were a lot of Trumpers in California:eek::confused::p
lmao. Bad English on my part.
I meant in CA, the Gov let off the peddle too fast and it exploded. personally, with an IT background which really prepares me to make this statement, I feel Gov Newsome over reacted at first, then under reacted and opened to fast.

Tim

Yes, but when their family's starts affecting my life (again, not talking masks) I have an issue at that point. But this isn't a family's decision, it's a government mandate, and I have MORE of an issue with that.
So are business closures the only thing that is affecting you? What are your grievances?

Your taxes are paying for that support. So, yeah, you should be involved :)

Tim (could not resist, and may get me in trouble)

How about you tell me what specific things the politicians should have done to make things better.

No. Politicians literally make a living by lying. There’s nothing any politician can do based upon their base values that can be anything except destructive in their end results. They accomplish nothing useful other than make dumb people feel better emotionally about realities they don’t want to face and adapt to.

If anyone asks you 'why is this virus spreading in the US', just point them to this thread.

Yup. They’ll read “viruses do that unless you quarantine the ill” and say DUH.

If N95 masks and face shields were widely available to everyone, them MAYBE the individual's opportunity to take responsibility for avoiding infection would be real,.

There’s quite a number of other ways more effective that work every year for medical professionals without masks that handle a much larger percentage infection risk than what a mask stops.

Case in point : Try not bathing ever while wearing a mask and see how you do.

Hand washing and basic hygiene is handling well over 90% of your most likely infection vector. And that’s only if you’re even where the thing actually is, which for a couple hundred million of us is “not here”. The mask is purely ancillary.

We know that most countries have done a far better job of controlling the spread of the virus than we have, so there must be SOMETHING that works. Maybe we should spend more time studying what they did.

They stopped travel and quarantined inbound travelers for 14 days. As mentioned already.

One rather large group of political cult members didn’t even like our leadership stopping international flights, let alone wouldn’t have totally lost their crap if he had mandated personal quarantine.

They also closed or limited public transport or simply didn’t have it, depending on which one you like. Nobody rode.

Other politicians in the cities with direct flights multiple times a day, left their trains running. Same screeching from the opposite cult if he had closed them down.

But even then those things triggered small numbers. The real numbers started and grew from shared housing and shared HVAC from those initials.

Anyway doesn’t matter now. Completely unworkable at the beginning and continues to be.

Just make sure they don’t get close to denverpilot or salty

If everyone actually stayed home for the first 4 weeks, those that were "essential" actually wore proper masks 100% of the time and washed/sanitized their hands often, and we had leaders that were competent, then everyone could be getting back to "normal" life in a safe (still wearing masks) manner already. But because there are enough people in this country that think they don't have to follow the rules/recommendations and believe that everyone else can fend for themselves, we are now in a prolonged situation where an extra 100,000? people are dying as a result.

Water under the bridge. And insulting you think I’m infecting anyone. If I sit here for five days without symptoms you can take your comment and effff right off.

Plus I wear the mask. Not because I think it’s as useful or effective as my OTHER measures, but because we wouldn’t want to scare one of you with that pesky cough from a far worse medical issue. Y’all are ****y and wouldn’t even bother to ask anyone why. If I was some sort of ass, I’d just go get a medical note the thing ain’t great for me, which hundreds have already done in the support group.

Masks aren’t a one size fits all, but some doofus might think so who can’t think beyond the things as they take it off by their same hand they pick their nose with as they remove it. (As mentioned, it’s the nurse’s game and she’s caught two to my one and I’m trying to catch up! LOL. “But I wore my mask! I don’t know how I caught it!” Because, you have no idea how to use a mask, dum-dum... LOL.)

"Slowing is not preventing" is an oversimplification.

Still accurate. What rate do you want to go at, is the question. Current infection rate is two years. Minimum. Do the math and probe it wrong. I’m cool. Still have to make a decision.

Mathematically the fastest two solutions are locking everyone up or running hospitals at Max capacity. Anything inbetween lengthens contact and kills more. Nobody seems to want either one, so we’ll be doing it “wrong”.

Getting the R0 number below 1 will result in cases naturally going away over time, so

R0 hasn’t even been above 1 in the vast majority of the continent. Where it has most have fallen back to 1. It bumped above 1 for two weeks here Statewide and 40% of that was nursing homes and meat packing plants.

There’s a reason my lockdown governor just removed the raw data from our State website. He’s all about “transparency” I guess? :)

For someone who doesn't want other people making decisions on your health, you sure are for making a lot of decisions regarding other people's health conditions. Namely, just let it spread and let it kill them without their consent. Or just not wear a mask, spread it to someone else, and then let them kill someone vulnerable without their consent.

Consent? LOL. The virus lets you decide? Hell, why didn’t you just say so?!

Spreading and killing is generally what viruses do. Ed saying he acknowledges that and doesn’t care, isn’t consenting to anything for you. Hide and wait for the UPS guy to bring it. It’s already killed people in grocery stores and Amazon warehouses. You “consent” to that every time you buy something that isn’t food or sanitary products.

Did you really need those “essential” cookies and the hundred people out making them? No. You technically needed ingredients to make bread and some water and a jar of peanut butter or a different small amount of protein.

Complaints from anybody buying anything non-essential by making others go produce, deliver, and sell those things, become hypocritical instantly.

Hell, demanding the hospital stay open is. Those people don’t technically have to be there for you. Mine hasn’t skipped a day of work for all the adult chickens out there.

She also knows she’s my number one attack vector. Oh well.

At least she’s migrating from being mad at how you idiots use masks to just laughing at you now. :) She tried to educate at first. She gave up and enjoys her weekends now.

She posts actual good news about the thing on her social media and ignores the political cultists who lose their crap every time anything good is mentioned, down in her comments. They can’t help themselves after decades of conditioning to believe politics and government truly love them and wants the best for them. LOL!

Okay, sure. Here's the one Google presents to you for the whole US.
View attachment 88293

The overall rate is down from what it was before but there's an uptick lately. Could be something, could be nothing.

Let's look at the rate for my state, Texas:
View attachment 88294
Completely different story. Cases are rising significantly. When and where do you recommend wearing masks for these two graphs?

When? Anytime the fearful person wants to, THEY can.

Where? As soon as the fearful person leaves the safety of their home (which it sounds like that’s where they oughtta stay in the first place) anywhere THEY want to.

Easy-peasy.

Oh, I gotta run to the hardware store later for some pegboards for the garage. What time can you be here to protect me, since you’re responsible for my safety?

Hand washing and basic hygiene is handling well over 90% of your most likely infection vector. And that’s only if you’re even where the thing actually is, which for a couple hundred million of us is “not here”. The mask is purely ancillary.

Nate,

Actually more recent studies are showing COVID-19 is not being spread via cross contamination. e.g. via hand washing. All evidence is pointing to airborne transmission direct from human to human.

Tim

https://www.wsj.com/articles/scient...olicy-says-it-wasnt-strict-enough-11591196353

Of course, that's also not taking into account that Sweden also has much better medical care and their citizens are in much better health than their 'beetus ridden morbidly obese 'murican counterparts.

Sweden is the 6th healthiest country in the world and we are number 35. Interestingly every single one of the top 10 countries has some sort of universal healthcare system, but I'm sure doesn't have anything to do with it.

Americans are very unhealthy and we lead the world in obesity among OECD countries. You can have all the health care in the world but if people eat garbage and remain sedentary you can't improve outcomes.

When? Anytime the fearful person wants to, THEY can.

Where? As soon as the fearful person leaves the safety of their home (which it sounds like that’s where they oughtta stay in the first place) anywhere THEY want to.

Easy-peasy.

Oh, I gotta run to the hardware store later for some pegboards for the garage. What time can you be here to protect me, since you’re responsible for my safety?

I'm sorry, what did you ask for the death graphs for if you aren't going to comment on them?

Do you have to be "fearful" of something to protect yourself and others from it? I am not "afraid" of the virus as someone who is less likely to die from it, but I am not going to completely ignore the ramifications my actions and choices on getting sick can have on others who are vulnerable and elderly.

And everyone with lungs? Or just those overweight (70 million), diabetic (34.2 million), coronary artery disease (18.2 million), cancer (1.8 million/yr)? Maybe we just have all the smart people who will act in the greater good come up to the North East and send those wanting more "freedom" down South.

Or we just isolate everyone who won't wear a mask. Kinda like we isolate people who break laws that are for the greater good.

Why don't we let you run around naked through the streets and playgrounds too? I mean, you were born that way, so you are not really free unless we all allow you to be naked in the grocery store, right? Oh wait....we have laws that protect the greater good, so do that and you end up in jail. Guess we don't live in a free country after all.
What do your angry words Here accomplish? Nothing.

That's also my 85-year-old father's stance. His life revolves around writing music and rehearsing ensembles; outside of his doctor's appointments, that's pretty much the only contact he has with people. He hasn't been able to rehearse his groups in months which pretty much ends many of his reasons for enjoying life at all. He simply can't understand why we're choosing to not live just so we can survive.... especially having lived through the Great Depression, the polio epidemic, World War II, and a host of other things that were FAR worse than COVID.

COVID is actually about halfway to matching US combat deaths for the entire war in a measly 5 months!

What do your angry words Here accomplish? Nothing.
Whenever I see large groups of people using emotion to drive their logic and actions, I get concerned. This situation has really lit that warning light for me brighter than it's ever been.

To long to go through. But yeah, my parents live in a deep red county. A lot of the locals their really did/do believe it was a hoax. My sister-in-law's parents are Trumpers; they posted stuff on FB how this is just a flu, it's all a hoax... The continue with that mantra.
You can see the result of that in FL, TX, AZ, AL.... Or in CA when they relaxed too fast.

Tim

What result? Death rate is still well below peaks in all of those places.

They slightly accelerated the fully predictable linear progression and still have the vast majority of their problems in the same cities and locations throughout.

Not even close to 20% infected in any of them, unless one assumes data not collected yet.

What’s the specific “problem”? Infections? A given. Deaths? Going to happen.

Last I checked NY and NJ still have them all beat by a mile. Like three orders of magnitude and all of those States still have it affecting a handful of counties in any numbers even close to where we eventually must go.

Will have to look later... working and running errands today. Gotta, you know, go to the edge of the actual Covid problem over west and grab some ham and cheese thirty miles away. I cooked up the last of the potatoes during a conference call too.

Can you please tell me which part of it is fictional? There are absolutely mass graves in New York from Covid. Other countries absolutely handled it better than us. Vietnam has 0 deaths, so they also beat us at coronavirus just like they did at *ahem* that other thing.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.com/news/amp/world-asia-53196009

In other fantastic news, we have death panels in everyones favorite state for COVID.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.th...d-19-death-panels-starr-county-hospital-texas

Remember when the for-profit healthcare system was going to prevent things like this from happening?

North Korea is also reporting zero deaths....hmm

So are business closures the only thing that is affecting you? What are your grievances?

Well, lets see we weren't allowed to, even if alone
ride motorcycles
go fishing
work on the house (sales on those items were banned)

In addition

100% percent of my social life was taken away (still over 90%)
98% of any human interaction, gone.
75% of income taken away

the list goes on

I am not a person who can just sit home and do nothing, and don't even have anyone else at home to interact with.

COVID is actually about halfway to matching US combat deaths for the entire war in a measly 5 months!

Must be that new math. Also, the majority of these deaths are those who were due to pass on (based on age) anyway so I don't understand the hysterics.

I'm sorry, what did you ask for the death graphs for if you aren't going to comment on them?

Do you have to be "fearful" of something to protect yourself and others from it? I am not "afraid" of the virus as someone who is less likely to die from it, but I am not going to completely ignore the ramifications my actions and choices on getting sick can have on others who are vulnerable and elderly.

I guess my point was that I don’t give a flying fig about “cases”. Deaths are what we should worry about.
Ramp up testing, sure “cases” go up. Duh.

And of those deaths, how many were death BECAUSE of covid and not death WITH covid? There’s another lie your all-caring government tends to massage...

Mask-Karen’s get ****ed when we say YOU stay home stay safe. “How dare you tell me what to do and how I can act”. All while doing the same.

Sigh.

Don't forget New Zealand. They had 22 deaths and has recovered, some time ago. This in a free, democratic country.

In New York, we did flatten the curve and now it’s the safe place to be, relatively. Testing is still high and free and we only have 0.5-1.0% positive tests. So it does work. Now if only we could keep out everyone else from the rest of the country, we could actually eliminate it in a few months with good contact tracing.

The NYT estimated that 75% of cases nationwide are traceable back to NYC. Here in NH at one of our ski area towns (Waterville Valley) elementary school registration is up 40% for the fall, lots of NY plates here in NH.

Nate,

Actually more recent studies are showing COVID-19 is not being spread via cross contamination. e.g. via hand washing. All evidence is pointing to airborne transmission direct from human to human.

Tim

Gosh. I guess I should not have listened to the “medical experts” the four times they got that wrong then. LOL.

I’d love to know how they’re determining that considering I’m literally making a game out of watching people pick their noses after touching their masks.

Everyone who walks into the ER says “I felt it land in my eye!” Lol. Oh! That’s it!

Right. There’s literally NO accurate way to study or prove that. Even 90% correct it’s statistically invalid. A 10% error on that opinion destroys it completely.

Bad probability math. Not even close to something one can make a definitive statement about.

Well, lets see we weren't allowed to, even if alone
ride motorcycles
go fishing
work on the house (sales on those items were banned)

In addition

100% percent of my social life was taken away (still over 90%)
98% of any human interaction, gone.
75% of income taken away

the list goes on

Riding motorcycles should be allowed.
Going fishing should be allowed (without huge groups, I guess).
Working on the house should be allowed. Crash7's going shopping for some pegboards though, maybe ask him about that.

My social life and human interaction was harshly impacted but I understand that it is (temporarily) necessary.
My income was reduced by 30%. Almost lost my job due to the downturn from the virus. Very glad that I still have a job and health insurance but that's an entirely different discussion that would definitely break ROC.

Last edited:
Or of the family is REALLY that concerned, grandma needs to be pulled out of the facility, and brought into the family bubble.
^^^ This right there. With the general covid mortality rates at comparable rates of other preventable death rates it's time to flip the covid preventive measures over to those who fit the high risk categories and let them protect themselves via the "bubble." The NBA is doing it as well as various states who have created protective bubble environments for the homeless. And while every one is pointing to the data, it becomes meaningless if there is no way to accurately compare that individual data points between states, countries or whatever as each locale has its own dynamic that influences that data.

Or maybe you just lack reading comprehension.

Nope. I reread what you wrote, and just checked the numbers again. My comprehension is fine, your math needs work. But since you trotted out the Vietnam number without looking at the government of Vietnam, you might want to rethink who has the comprehension issues.

Whenever I see large groups of people using emotion to drive their logic and actions, I get concerned. This situation has really lit that warning light for me brighter than it's ever been.
Agreed. It is fear. Most bad behavior is driven by fear.

I guess my point was that I don’t give a flying fig about “cases”. Deaths are what we should worry about.

Okay, deaths are going up significantly in my state of Texas. You agree we should worry about those death numbers that we are seeing on the rise in some states. I am confused - what do you think we should be doing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back