KMSL - Class E/G Airspace

steviedeviant

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
StevieD
I don't know why I confuse myself with this - so I am just double checking here with the community.
Take a look at KMSL. As a VFR pilot, looking at the charts, this is class E between certain times of day. However, for me, I just treat this when flying in as a uncontrolled airport - no tower - just self-announce as I would at any other uncontrolled field, correct?

Thanks in advance.
SD

Correct. Just like any other nontowered airport. "Class E to the surface" is mostly about VFR weather minimums.

Take a look at KMSL. As a VFR pilot, looking at the charts, this is class E between certain times of day. However, for me, I just treat this when flying in as a uncontrolled airport - no tower - just self-announce as I would at any other uncontrolled field, correct?
"Controlled airspace" doesn't mean that you are under ATC control as a VFR flight. "Controlled airspace" is the airspace in which an IFR clearance is required for IFR flights. As a VFR pilot, the significance is that the VFR weather minimums change in controlled airspace.

It used to be called a control zone. Now it's just the simple term: "Surface area of controlled airspace designated for an airport."

It means that all the way to the ground you have the class E requirements for cloud clearance and visibility.

It also means you may not operate there under a ceiling of less than 1000'.

It also means you can get a special VFR clearance (provided the airport is not marked NO SVFR, uncommon other than certain class B surface areas."

I don't know why I confuse myself with this - so I am just double checking here with the community.

Thanks in advance.
SD

Yup. It's that simple as far as who you talk to on the radio. Like said above there are some rules that apply concerning weather. Beware of the ceiling being below 1000 but there are breaks in the cloud cover that allow you to fly below that altitude with 3 miles visibility, 500 feet below and 2000 feet laterally from any clouds. You'd still be illegal.

Back