King Air Gear-Up at KOKC

Looks like an ISR variant. Should've bounced it on the mains a few times to get it down. Or, a normal landing for me would get it down.

Always the King Airs with weak nose gears.:D

He put it down very gently, didn't spill any Champagne. :)
Do they mandate an engine/gearbox teardown after a prop strike on a turbine? (I honestly don't know, I am just a piston guy for now) I would assume at least a gearbox overhaul.

Looks like he took a few laps around both Wiley Post & OKC before finally giving landing a try.
upload_2016-10-19_18-27-21.png

Looks really old, I'd guess is an all electric mechanical gear. Those are a real treat to work on BTW.

#hydraulicgearmuchbetter

Put some positive G on it! Worked for me a few years back.

We had an F-18 at Miramar that had a main wheel stuck up once. I was looking out the window at him porpoising up and down trying to get his wheel down. Didn't work. :(

Looks really old, I'd guess is an all electric mechanical gear. Those are a real treat to work on BTW.

#hydraulicgearmuchbetter

It was built in 1999 according to the FAA. Which gear would it have based on that?

It was built in 1999 according to the FAA. Which gear would it have based on that?

I meant the army one in the video above (C90?). That B200 in the article is most likely electrohydraulic

I don't think so. I believe however that it belongs to a civilian company that does government contracts including ones over in the sandbox.

Well, that would change it. They would care.

Looks like someone will be getting a Engine Upgrade!!:)

Is it just me or did the they not pull the engines on touchdown? Looked like the right engine was still going. Maybe wind milling but the other videos like this that I watch they typically pull the engine power right at touch down, the props stop rotating, nose hits concrete and slide to a stop. Don't get me wrong, how pumped up he was when he got out of the plane was awesome and he did a great job, was just wondering why the prop appeared to keep spinning. Obviously have not started my multi training yet so curious about the procedure.

I thought the props bent backwards in the video, which would indicate not being powered. Props being powered bend forward when they strike.

At least that's how it was explained to me...

Definitely looked like the right engine was still making power. On a turbine of course I imagine it's harder to get all hot-shot and stop the props spinning totally like one could in a piston, maybe with some fancy use of feathering/beta blade angles.

About as good as you can expect. But what was up with the bizarre audio on the video??

About as good as you can expect. But what was up with the bizarre audio on the video??

It's the data radio talking to the TV station being picked up by the audio channels. The radios often have quite a bit of broadcasting power. It's basically the same thing your phone does to you computer speakers and/or headset.

It's the data radio talking to the TV station being picked up by the audio channels. The radios often have quite a bit of broadcasting power. It's basically the same thing your phone does to you computer speakers and/or headset.

Ah, makes sense. I'm surprised they don't filter that out.

I meant the army one in the video above (C90?). That B200 in the article is most likely electrohydraulic

B200 I work on occasionally is mechanical not hyd.

Back