KHSP - Mountain Airport

dell30rb

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ren
Flew to KHSP in Virginia last weekend just to burn some gas. Cool place. It's on top of a ridge with an aircraft carrier like approach to 25. The pics don't do it justice.. on downwind you are 1000 above airport elevation but at least 2000 AGL.

Also it was 72 there and a solid 98F at my house.

Attachments

• IMG_0875.JPG
    IMG_0875.JPG
    345.9 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_0876.JPG
    IMG_0876.JPG
    361.2 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_0877.JPG
    IMG_0877.JPG
    287.7 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_0879.JPG
    IMG_0879.JPG
    280.8 KB · Views: 64
My cousins live about 20 minutes from it. I've always wanted to fly there but never got a chance too. Pictures look awesome!

Landed there unexpectedly once. Ten minutes after the guy left for the night. No cell service, locked gate, and far from town in the valley!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A friend told me about that airport several months ago. It is only about 150nm from my home airport. It's on the list.

Couple more

Attachments

• IMG_0878.JPG
    IMG_0878.JPG
    282.6 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_0852.JPG
    IMG_0852.JPG
    179.1 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_0845.JPG
    IMG_0845.JPG
    210 KB · Views: 34
I swear all the airports in WV are on top of ridges/mountains. Fun flying an RJ into KCRW and KHTS, especially at night.

th

KCRW runway 5 (after a landslide took the EMAS away)

th

This is what happens when one doesn't set takeoff flaps correctly. The EMAS (at dep end of runway 23) stopped them from going off the end of runway 23 and down the mountain in the first picture above.

Last edited:
Landed there unexpectedly once. Ten minutes after the guy left for the night. No cell service, locked gate, and far from town in the valley!

They do have a modern self serve 100LL station. The facility looks nice but was unattended when I was there. I would suggest calling ahead. I went during the middle of the day on a Sunday. Wasn't a problem, just got some fuel and walked around a bit.

They do have a modern self serve 100LL station. The facility looks nice but was unattended when I was there. I would suggest calling ahead. I went during the middle of the day on a Sunday. Wasn't a problem, just got some fuel and walked around a bit.

It was more of a mayday mayday mayday arrival :p

And I did a double take when ATC told me the field elevation...

there's also mountain air in NC, 2NC0 I think. always wanted to check it out.

Cute airports. Try North Valley Fork in Colorado. About as close to a carrier landing outside of the Navy.

Oh hell, that's a party that I might crash. Can I say crash on here?

Knew a controller in the Air Force whose nickname was crash.

Anyway, yeah, you're invited, Cirrus has 4 seats right? Right Mully? Mully, right? Mully....?

What kind of plane is that? Looks cool

Knew a controller in the Air Force whose nickname was crash.

Anyway, yeah, you're invited, Cirrus has 4 seats right? Right Mully? Mully, right? Mully....?

Oh hell no... I would want to fly my 40 year old high wing Cessna without a chute into there. I want to get in and out safely. Besides Mully is from Alabama. How could he possibly know how to fly a plane?

Mountain Air is private, I think permission is required to land.

Oh hell no... I would want to fly my 40 year old high wing Cessna without a chute into there. I want to get in and out safely. Besides Mully is from Alabama. How could he possibly know how to fly a plane?

Nah he left Alabama for Cajun country. Speaking of Cajun, it was cool to see her so excited on her first Oshkosh. Very cool.

I love Hot Springs. They advertise that it's the highest elevation public use airport east of the Mississippi.

I started doing biplane rides there last year for the Wings and Wheels show. Fun little place. I was supposed to go back this year but it was socked in IFR that morning.

Makes for great scenic rides. You pretty much take off and turn and are already 1000' AGL.

Yeah, HSP is one of those things that you have to plan ahead. It's like a 40 minute drive down from the mountain top into town.

The first year we went there for vacation, we stayed at the Homestead. They gladly sent the hotel shuttle to pick us up...and then added a $200 charge to the hotel bill.

Here's a couple of photos from last year's airshow of the Homestead Resort and the course where Sam Snead cut his teeth as a golf pro. Such a pretty area.
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_df67.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_df6a.jpg

The Homestead is awesome. My cousins lived like 5 minutes from there. We've never stayed, but we frequented the resort during Christmas and it was always fun.

I swear all the airports in WV are on top of ridges/mountains. Fun flying an RJ into KCRW and KHTS, especially at night..

I flight instructed at a private airport between Huntington and Charleston. Ona, WV. airport 12V. The runway was in a river bottom, the Mud River I believe. It was a lot more fun taking students into Ona, especially at night since it was in the low area with hills on each side.

I would take students to Huntington for tower experience then to Charleston for the Class C experience. Actually flying to small strips in WV, some open, some long abandoned, helped me a lot when I went to Alaska.

Wow that'd be interesting at night for sure Zeldman. Mountains at night always made sit up a little straighter flying there, especially Roanoke and Ashville NC, big rocks around those airports.

Back