Kennedy tool boxes

My dad has two rollarounds in the workshop on his 20 acres, and at least one more in the garage in town. And quite a bit of duplication between the two locations. My rollaround is in the garage, and I raid it to build out bags, or boxes for particular purposes.

duplicate set of tools at each location?
Yes. HAD several portable boxes + one rollaway set up for helicopters (day job) and several for fixed wing (side job). Plus rollaways for sheetmetal, flat engine tools, round-engine tools, and electrical/avionics work when I had a shop. Even left a few in SA. Now I have one helicopter cantilever, one fixed wing, 2 truck bags and several HF boxes in a friends hangar.

I have a large rolling one in my garage with another chest on top (it keeps my tools organized and in one place). I have a canvas tool bag that I throw what I need in, when I am mobile. When I get back to the garage, I put my tools back in the toolbox. So far, this has worked out great, because I would not want to haul all my tools around everywhere, just the ones I need for a particular task.

Yup, the larger roll around keeps everything organized in one spot and can be easily moved around the garage/shop to where the work is being done to minimize walking back and forth. for big jobs (front end rebuilds, timing belt service). I use a smaller tool box or canvas tool bag for when I need to toss an assortment of tools into the truck to work on something away from home. Roll around tool carts can be an easier item to use for smaller jobs (oil changes, brake pads, bearings, etc) instead of pushing 800lbs of tools across the shop when you only need a half dozen tools and small work bench space.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Didn't know that but mine's red also.

Mine too. Some folks go in there and think it is just a color option, but they are built completely differently.

Harbor Freight catches a lot of crap, rightly so too. But this toolbox is one of the better ones for the money, now that craftsman is complete crap in the box department.

And even the cheap tools serve their purposes too, a cheap kit for the car that you may never need and don't care if you lose.. Sure.

Mine too. Some folks go in there and think it is just a color option, but they are built completely differently.

Harbor Freight catches a lot of crap, rightly so too. But this toolbox is one of the better ones for the money, now that craftsman is complete crap in the box department.

And even the cheap tools serve their purposes too, a cheap kit for the car that you may never need and don't care if you lose.. Sure.

Eh, I still buy Craftsman or Stanley brand if I need a cheap spare set of tools for a roadside kit or boat toolkit. I’ve had enough auto parts store wrenches/pliers bend or break upon first use that I’ll pay the slightly higher price for a couple of screwdrivers and wrenches, lol. I do have some shallow and deep impact sockets from the HF Professional line though.

My MIL bought me some 10pc Chinese pliers set for Christmas one year. Was doing something that needed the A-arm pliers for and decided to open the cheap set because it was nearby. While using the pliers the detent slipped and pinched my finger bad. I tried it later on something where less force was needed and it slipped again. Threw the whole set in the trash, 9pcs never used lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eh, I still buy Craftsman or Stanley brand if I need a cheap spare set of tools for a roadside kit or boat toolkit. I’ve had enough auto parts store wrenches/pliers bend or break upon first use that I’ll pay the slightly higher price for a couple of screwdrivers and wrenches, lol. I do have some shallow and deep impact sockets from the HF Professional line though.

I'm thinking Home Depot's Husky brand is going to be my new go-to for hand tools. If I'm going to get tools with a lifetime guarantee then I'd want as many locations as possible so I can get easily get the exchange and there are more Home Depots near me than Sears, Harbor Freight, etc.

I don't get the larger, rollaround tool boxes.
Most of my hand tools are in portable tool boxes because I am either in the hangar, in the garage, at work, in the field (really, the pasture). Ie very mobile. If they were in a truck-bed toolbox, I'd be doing miles carrying tools to and from the truck.
Also I can pack the important ones in one of these boxes, in the airplane.
Do you guys have rollarounds and a duplicate set of tools at each location?

I have my large toolbox at home, which is where I keep 90% of my tools. At the airport we have a small box that has a set of standard wrenches, screwdrivers, etc. I’ll bring drills and other tools from home when needed.

In the piston birds I would keep a basic set of wrenches and a couple screwdrivers but I don’t do that with the MU2, largely because an AOG in that plane is probably caused by something that I can’t fix anyway. That said I have it on my list to get a package of common failure items for it.

I'm thinking Home Depot's Husky brand is going to be my new go-to for hand tools. If I'm going to get tools with a lifetime guarantee then I'd want as many locations as possible so I can get easily get the exchange and there are more Home Depots near me than Sears, Harbor Freight, etc.

I've been happy with Husky and Kobalt tools, but I have just as much Craftsman stuff laying around. I especially like my Kobalt screwdrivers. You can get any of those 3 brands between HD or Lowes these days. Ace Hardware carries the Craftsman brand now, too.

I've been happy with Husky and Kobalt tools, but I have just as much Craftsman stuff laying around. I especially like my Kobalt screwdrivers. You can get any of those 3 brands between HD or Lowes these days. Ace Hardware carries the Craftsman brand now, too.
So you can get a Craftsman exchanged at either Lowes or Ace? And it's as easy as it was at Sears?

Nevertheless, I think there are still more Home Depots near me than Ace and Lowes combined. I'll have to check Google Maps.

So you can get a Craftsman exchanged at either Lowes or Ace? And it's as easy as it was at Sears?

Nevertheless, I think there are still more Home Depots near me than Ace and Lowes combined. I'll have to check Google Maps.

I believe the lifetime warranty is still valid at either location.

Again, do you have a source for that info? I have looked but don't see that there is a structural difference from the Gen 1 units. The only difference I've seen noted is that the Gen 1's are 18"D vs Gen II @ 22". Same gauge metal, same length/height. So *technically* they have the same weight ratings, but have higher volume of storage. I'm sure the load limit per drawer could be affected, but they still list total weight rating the same.

So this was 2-3 years ago, and I read a really good review online. I suppose it is possible that they have changed something. Did you inspect them in person? If so, look at the drawers and slides.

Do you guys have rollarounds and a duplicate set of tools at each location?
Larger box at home, smaller box at airport with most basic tools duplicated. But there are things that go back and forth and are usually in the wrong place at the wrong time. Torque wrenches, Whitney punch, pop rivets/tools. And stuff that pretty much just stays at one place - like the rivet gun and the solid rivet collection.

Of course, I need both metric and US tools in both locations...:rolleyes:

I think I got a good deal on these toolboxes for our new “pole barn”:

43870809400_c7e7c73f2a.jpg

$250 for all 3 at a nearby pawn/jewelry store.

Seem well made.

Yeah I find that anytime you have to request a quote in order to find the price, that quote rarely turns out to be $100.

Back