Keep hand on the throttle during takeoff??

Discussion in 'Pilot Training' started by AirplanepilotJJ, Jan 17, 2019.

1. AirplanepilotJJ

AirplanepilotJJ Pre-Flight

Display name:
    JonPilot
    Greetings airmen,

during my last training flight, during takeoff my instructor told me to keep my hand on the throttle. Is there a reason for that? Thanks!

2. Stingray Don

Stingray Don En-Route

Display name:
    Stingray Don
    To ensure you remain full throttle and allow you to quickly pull power if you need to abort

arkvet, AirplanepilotJJ and EppyGA like this.
  3. Salty

Salty Final Approach

Display name:
    Salty
    To add to the above post: Even with friction lock, vibration can slowly work the throttle out as you climb.

Stingray Don likes this.
  4. vman

vman Pre-takeoff checklist

Display name:
    vman
    throttles can creep back at a time & in a way that can easily not be apparent..

when you want to be sure of continuous max power

AirplanepilotJJ likes this.
  5. AirplanepilotJJ

AirplanepilotJJ Pre-Flight

Display name:
    JonPilot
    Ah that's why, thanks!

6. Ravioli

Ravioli Ejection Handle Pulled PoA Supporter

Display name:
    Unwanted Guest - Perma-ban Pending
    Same is true for landing. Usually on base and final your hand should be right there to make SMALL adjustments as needed.

Are you flying with a quadrant or the push-pull style? With quadrant you can comfortably rest your right hand with thumb on one side and (usually) 4 fingers on the other. You'll feel the lever move, if it does so on it's own. With push/pulls I rest my right pointer finger on the throttle shaft. In neither case do I actually grip or hold the knob. I think my CFI referred to this as "covering" the throttle.

(not doing this in some fashion should result in a swift wack on the wrist with the plotter :))

Stingray Don likes this.
  7. jsstevens

jsstevens Final Approach PoA Supporter

Display name:
    jsstevens
    All the above reasons are correct. In addition, when you get further in training it prevents the CFI from surreptitiously “failing” your engine. :)

GRG55, deonb, Justin M and 4 others like this.
  8. midlifeflyer

midlifeflyer Touchdown! Greaser!

Display name:
    Mark
    Coincidentally, I had this one just the other day. Working with a pilot, he moved his right hand to his lap during takeoff. I pointed to the throttle and he immediately went to it, saying, "I know..." I told him, "it's a funny thing. When I was a student pilot, every time I did that, somehow, the throttle always creeped back."

9. midlifeflyer

midlifeflyer Touchdown! Greaser!

Display name:
    Mark
    Sometimes BIG adjustments ;)

X3 Skier and Lantraxco like this.
  10. FlySince9

FlySince9 En-Route

Display name:
    Jerry
    FTFY

11. Ravioli

Ravioli Ejection Handle Pulled PoA Supporter

Display name:
    Unwanted Guest - Perma-ban Pending
    Now I'll have to make a phone call. Your expression seems more logical, but I could swear Mr. Stephens said covering. I started training in 2005. Fortunately the good habit persists.

12. mirage00

mirage00 Pattern Altitude

Display name:
    Mirage00
    What about in a twin when you are committed to the takeoff? I see many pilots take their hand off the throttles and put on yoke.

13. Let'sgoflying!

Let'sgoflying! Touchdown! Greaser! PoA Supporter

Display name:
    Dave Taylor
    Yes to the creeping throttle suggestions above ^^^
    Also if you need to pull power in a hurry, you will save a little time having your hand on it.
    Removing your hand from the throttles as described above, at V1, takeoff decision speed, is because you are making a commitment to fly and do not want to abort the takeoff.

14. Clip4

Clip4 Final Approach

Display name:
    Cli4ord
    Proper technique is hand on throttle at all times during engine start, taxi, takeoff, landing, and any time the aircraft is 1000 ft AGL or less.

15. Stewartb

Stewartb Final Approach

Display name:
    stewartb
    Proper technique is to keep one hand on the yoke or stick and use the other one for throttle, flaps, prop, or whatever else might require it.

TRocket and Hacker like this.
  16. flyingron

flyingron Touchdown! Greaser! PoA Supporter

Display name:
    FlyingRon
    Once you're not in danger of hitting the ground, you can take it away in my opinion. I had been taught to leave it there as well but one of my instructors smacked me later and told me I could get to it fast enough if I needed to. You need that hand for things like frequency changes, etc.. anyhow.

17. k9medic

k9medic Line Up and Wait

Display name:
    ATP-H, CMEL, CSEL, CFI/CFII Airplanes and Helicopters
    I have always taught keep a thumb on the throttle. This is a hold over from the seat track AD.

Let'sgoflying! likes this.
  18. Larry in TN

Larry in TN Pattern Altitude

Display name:
    Larry in TN
    The technique I used when flying light twins was to keep my hand on the throttles until I committed to continuing the takeoff if an engine failed. In a light twin this would be after liftoff when there wasn't enough runway remaining to pull the power back and land. At that point I raised the gear and put my hand at the base of the throttles, to ensure that they didn't creep back, and reinforce that I would continue if one failed.

In jets the Captain's hand is on the thrust levers until V1. After liftoff, the flying-pilot's hand is on the thrust levers by 400' though 2,500'. I've never see a jet where lever creep was an issue.

Eric Stoltz likes this.
  19. Pilawt

Pilawt Final Approach

Display name:
    Pilawt
    In my Cessna 172 the throttle and mixture are close enough to each other that I keep my hand on both of them through takeoff and initial climb. That guards against (a) either one creeping out due to vibration, and (b) accidentally taking off with lean-taxi mixture when full rich is required at low elevations.

Skyrys62 likes this.
  20. Eric Stoltz

Eric Stoltz Line Up and Wait

Display name:
    ES
    Ya beat me to it. However, if yer flying with a lever creep, I'd keepa hand on the them there thrust levers. Durned micro managing 5 striper.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

21. sarangan

sarangan Cleared for Takeoff PoA Supporter

Display name:
    Andrew, CFI-I
    I do know of a case where the pilot pulled the mixture on final instead of power, and landed short of the runway, luckily still inside the airport fence.

22. Tantalum

Tantalum Final Approach

Display name:
    San_Diego_Pilot
    I've had the friction lock on full juice on the Warrior I got my PPL on and it would still slide back, pretty much got used to always keeping my right hand on the throttle unless it had something else to do (flaps, radios, etc.) but the throttle quadrant made a good resting spot for it.. when I was relegated to Skyhawk flying for about 80 hrs I never quite got used to the ergonomics of where to rest my hand

23. mkosmo

mkosmo Pattern Altitude

Display name:
    mkosmo
    Exactly. That or just touching the face of the throttle to hold it in place (if that's not what you were describing).

24. C-1 PILOT

C-1 PILOT Pre-takeoff checklist

Display name:
    C-1 PILOT
    Your instructor should have explained that to you...

timwinters and Flocker like this.
  25. vman

Display name:
    vman
    assures max power @ critical phase of flight :D

Last edited: Jan 17, 2019
  26. Unit74

Unit74 Final Approach

Display name:
    Unit74
    I have had a rejected take off recently. As soon as I felt it wasnt right, I was already in position to pull power. Seconds matter.

Stingray Don likes this.
  27. Salty

Salty Final Approach

Display name:
    Salty
    Especially as a student having your hand on the throttle means you don’t have to find the right knob if something happens and you need it in a hurry.

AirplanepilotJJ and Skyrys62 like this.
  28. Skyrys62

Skyrys62 En-Route

Display name:
    Meet the Fokkers
    I will hold both throttle and mixture in with two fingers sort of like a peace sign (depending on the aircraft of course)...until about 5-700 feet above the runway, then I'll take out flaps etc. if needed.

Anytime I took my hand off the throttle during takeoff, my CFI would reach over and pull the throttle.
    As a brand new student, those almost left skid marks. Didn't take long to learn.

29. Silvaire

Silvaire En-Route

Display name:
    Silvaire
    The Maule had a vernier throttle, other than during take off roll and landing with thumb on the button I pretty much never left my hand on it.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2019
  30. Shawn

Shawn En-Route

Display name:
    Shawn
    Was taught similar...hand over throttle but I am gripping behind the friction lock between the index and middle finger, not holding onto the throttle. CFI's story of the seat track that slipped, pilot while holding onto throttle slides back on climb out simultaneously pulling back on yoke AND pulling back on throttle killing power stalling and crashing plane left an impression.

31. PaulS

PaulS Touchdown! Greaser!

Display name:
    PaulS
    Not sure if anyone said it yet, but you need keep your hand on the throttle so it won't creep back and to make it difficult for your instructor to fail the engine, got to get your shots in at those instructors when you can.

k9medic likes this.
  32. Jamie Kirk

Jamie Kirk Line Up and Wait

Display name:
    JamieK
    I was taught that you remove your hand when you turn the electric fuel pump off which is 1,000 AGL.

33. Velocity173

Velocity173 Touchdown! Greaser! PoA Supporter

Display name:
    Velocity173
    Of course I do. Gotta be Johnny on the spot if the tail rotor fails. ;)

mkosmo likes this.
  34. BigBadLou

BigBadLou Final Approach

Display name:
    Lou
    Great answers here.

To back them up with a story:
    I let a freshly minted private pilot fly with me once as the PF. On climbout, I noticed we weren't doing so well, something was off.
    I noticed the throttle had backed out some. I said "full power, dude, full power, NOW ... and keep your hand on the throttle, ALWAYS". He learned a new habit that day. (though it should have happened in his first few lessons)

35. vman

Display name:
    vman
    i ended up taking off one time with carb heat on & it was the first time ever i heard the stall horn chirping on rotation,

at the time i remember thinking wtf?! was that about..

36. G-force

G-force Pre-takeoff checklist

Display name:
    G-force
    Something simililar, I learned early in training in a 172 to hold the throttle with my thumb sticking out over the carb heat. Can't be full throttle without the carb heat in. Handy for two reasons, you don't try and take off with the carb heat on, and on a go around you push the carb heat in at the same time as advancing the throttle.

37. mkosmo

mkosmo Pattern Altitude

Display name:
    mkosmo
    I had a BFR the other day and didn't catch the carb heat on the go around of a simulated forced landing... The sign that I'm an idiot tends to be slower than expected climb performance ;-)

38. dreyna14

dreyna14 Pre-takeoff checklist

Display name:
    Daniel
    Old 150's I used to fly, I almost had to keep my hand on the carb heat. I'd glance over after a few minutes and it would be 2/3's the way out. And here I was, wondering why I was climbing more sluggishly than usual.

39. Half Fast

Half Fast Final Approach

Display name:
    Half Fast
    I asked my CFI whether she'd prefer I rest my hand on the throttle or her knee. That's why I now keep my broken, mangled, crippled hand on the throttle.

In the Tecnam, I can have my hand on the throttle and reach the flaps control with a finger. On takeoff and landing, I have contact with stick, throttle, and flaps without having to reach for anything or look for a control. For a low-altitude go-around, that's a good thing.

40. texasclouds

texasclouds Pattern Altitude

Display name:
    Mark
    Be sure to ask you cfi questions like these. Mine was pretty quiet but if I asked him something he would elaborate quite well.