Just starting out!!!!!

bigdog2003

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Kyle
Looking for any pointers and info on where to go to flight school.

I am 30 and looking to change my career to become a comerical pilot. I have been doing lots of research and know it wont be easy or fast. I have always enjoyed flying and when I took a discovery flight last spring I was really bit with the bug. We have put my wife through nursing school so now its my turn. I am starting to train next week for my PPL and then plan on going to flight school. I will stay at my current job until it is time to start flight school. We have the funds avalible for the flight school so shouldnt have to mess with loans. These are a few questions I have and also feel free to give any pointers.

I live in Indiana... What good flight schools are around me? I saw that ATP has a base close to my town, any thoughts on ATP?

Is getting my PPL first the best way to go or should I go into a zero to comerical pilot program?

It might help to know what part of Indiana you live in so that someone could offer some good ideas on schools.

I'll leave others to comment on ATP. But here's a free ebook that will answer just about any question you might have. No signup needed. Just click and download:
www.FreeFlyBook.com

Good luck with your training!

Go PPL first, then get a bunch of experience, then IFR, and continue to explore the desire to go with a 121/135 outfit. Don't rush off the the puppy mill that will quickly suck up the cash when starting a bit slower and gaining more real world experience will be easier on the budget, and more valuable later on.

And first significant milestone... your medical. Look over the attached file (explains how to fill out the required FORM 8708 for your medical) and pay specific attention to the Medical History question 18 on page 30.

Do any of these medical conditions apply to you? (Keep in mind, the preamble to the question is, "Have you ever in your life...." so complete honesty is the direction of the day here).

If you are clear of these, then obtaining the required class of medical certificate at a later date (no need to get a first class to start with when a third does the job for primary training).

Attachments

• MedXPressUsersGuide.pdf
    2.1 MB · Views: 8
I live in west central Indiana. Going to Indianapolis takes around an hour.
Thank you all for the replies so far.

Welcome to PoA! Don't get in debt and fly as cheaply as possible. Good luck on your training.

Do as much ground school as possible before you begin your flight training! You will save time and a lot of money!!! Here is a link to a free ground school trial for a week, no credit card required. They have one of the best products out there! All of our students use it, one of them is getting advanced training at ATP and ended up signing for this course during her training!

https://ud165.isrefer.com/go/trial/iflyplanez/

Back