Just scrubbed my first flight with a passenger

eetrojan

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
eetrojan
My best friend was willing to go fly with me. Hurray. However, during pre-flight, the quick-slide push button for the vernier throttle stuck to my hand and then fell out onto the floor. :yikes: Glad it happened on the ground.

Good call on cancelling. Broken airplane = no go. BTDT, expect to do it again.

Good call on cancelling. Broken airplane = no go. BTDT, expect to do it again.

In the spirit of full disclosure, and as my friend still obviously wanted to go, I was internally weighing the likelihood of whether or not it would fall out in flight based on the climb angle, etc., and then realized in a moment of clarity how stupid such thoughts really are.

Note to self, self, it's the freaking throttle! And, without this magic little push button, it's stuck in position (e.g. full) unless I can twist it round and round really fast.

Back to reality; time to ground the plane for repairs. Fly some other time..

Passenger pressure, ahh yes. Something you don't learn about in flight school but must learn about later on your own. Just one of the responsibilities of PIC. Good call ;) BTW I've learned over the years that most perceived passenger pressure is really self induced, like pilots tend to have a "can do" attitude that we must temper from time to time with reality.

Can do,macho attitude. Goes away as one gets older and wiser.

it sux, but smart decision. always another day to fly!

so the other day I was gonna do a few laps in the pattern. during pre-flight I do a quick check of the tension of the alternator belt. I saw the alternator moving quite a bit. I got a second set of eyes on it, just to make sure it wasn't always like that, and made the decision not to go. interesting part was, the other guy was like "it's completely your call, I would probably go. whatcha gonna do?". I said nope, not going and he didn't even question it at all. it just reiterated for me....I AM PIC, I make the go/no-go decision and no one else.

final point.....when someone is even considering going up with me, one of the things I make sure we talk about is the possibility of us never even going up...wx, maintenance, last minute unforecasted gusts...anything at all.

Good call.

But I must say, I've been chastised and even called specifically "too anal" by fellow pilots for some conservative decision making.

If the flying community wants to complain about new pilots succumbing to pier pressure, get home itis, or VFR into IMC it only needs to look in its own shoes.

Our role models are sometimes our worst and silent enemies

As with anything else in life we are responsible for our own decisions. You made your decision wisely.

Last edited:
My best friend was willing to go fly with me. Hurray. However, during pre-flight, the quick-slide push button for the vernier throttle stuck to my hand and then fell out onto the floor. :yikes: Glad it happened on the ground.

I had the same happen in the air...

I flew from home in TN to x35 (dunnellon, fl). It was ifr a good portion of the way. I refueled in dunnellon, refiled and took off ifr to fmy (page field in fort myers, fl). Fort myers approach advised me to expect the ils 5 approach.

About 20 miles out they advised the weather was too bad for the ils (it was solid ifr the whole trip) and said they didn't think I could get in on the ils. They said they would vector me around and try to get me in on a visual for runway 23. If I missed, they would vector me around for the ils.

About 10 miles out having been vectored in line with runway 23 they advised me to do a gps 23 approach. I did well to keep up with the last minute changes. As I got to mda on the gps approcah, I brought in a little throttle to arrest the descent and noticed the throttle seemed a little strange as if underpowered for the force I applied to the throttle.

I was still unable to see the field at 1.5 miles out at mda. I broke through a cloud and saw the field, but could not make a straight in landing. There was a cloud deck 50 feet above me and a black wall of clouds all the way to the ground at the far end of the runway. I requested a contact approach. The contact approach was approved. At this time I sensed something was wrong with the power. I then noticed I had a stuck throttle.

I could not advance or pull back the throttle at all. I had enough power to barely maintain altitude, but not climb. I advised tower; they requested I state my intentions. I requested to continue circling under the cloud deck where I could see the field as I attempted to sort out the problem. Tower issued vector away from the field into imc - I refused.

I fiddled with the throttle - twisting the throttle to attempt to get more or less power and managed to get partial control of the throttle. I advised tower as such and requested landing. I made a nice landing under idle power and upon touchdown, as I was flaring, the white plastic end of the throttle fell off in my hand.

I was advised by a local mechanic on field that the throttle I have is a vernier throttle and over time will vibrate lose. Note the screw in the center of the center push button on the throttle. Under the screw is the push button, a spring, a washer and a nut. If the nut vibrates loose it will migrate backwards until it interferes with the push buttons ability to be depressed. If the button cannot be depressed, the throttle cannot be adjusted. I was unaware of this. The local mechanic told me that many a&p's are unaware of this too, and that this nut under the push button needs to be tightened at each annual.

Last edited:
I never understood why the throttle had that button. It should move freely at all times unless you fix it in place with the friction lock.

The mixture and prop controls are a different story.

The first time I saw a video of that style throttle, I made the determination you can push the button in to move it or twist it for fine adjustments, just like the mixture knob on a cessna.

Do you turn it in(clockwise) to increase throttle and the opposite to decrease it? I'd assume so.

I tend to agree with the post above me, but I guess everyone has their own way of designing things. Maybe the Rotax needs more precise adjustment than a simple in/out knob can provide.

Back