Just passed the commercial checkride

Yeti Niner Five

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Yeti Niner Five
After the instrument rating, it seems like the logical thing. I don't plan to fly professionally, but I like have the options to tow gliders or give rides on the weekends.

I will say this, it was the most fun I've had on a checkride. It's just more enjoyable flying with your eyes outside. That instrument stuff gets old!

The CP is all about precision stick-and-rudder flying and mastery of control of the aircraft. It's the difference between merely getting to a destination and being able to put the plane exactly where you want it. Good on you for making those your goals and achieving them.

Thanks, guys! It was a lot of fun. Looking forward to a good summer of towing gliders and learning a little acro.

Any plans for getting your CFI?

Not any time soon. My instructors keep telling me I'm going to do it, but that I don't know it yet. Frankly, I'm looking forward to just flying for a while.

Not any time soon. My instructors keep telling me I'm going to do it, but that I don't know it yet. Frankly, I'm looking forward to just flying for a while.

Do it. It's just a commercial from the right seat while teaching your way through it. You'd enjoy it. You're on a roll...might as well get it while it's fresh!

Congrats. I am now working on mine after the IR. How many hours of training did it require?

It's well worth it and very rewarding. Plus you can make some extra cash on the side!

Congrats. I am now working on mine after the IR. How many hours of training did it require?

Flight time is minimal. Mine was about 5 hours. You know most of it already. The Commerical just tightens the standards a little. For example, the steep turns are just a littler steeper.

I spent most of my time working on the power-off 180. I also needed to learn the new maneuvers...chandelles, lazy 8s and 8s on pylons. But all of those were fun.

The written and oral are really just the same stuff you did on your private with a little commercial regulation sprinkled in.

Like you, I did it right after instrument. It worked well.

Thanks, guys! It was a lot of fun. Looking forward to a good summer of towing gliders and learning a little acro.

You do know that towing gliders for compensation only requires a Private license? Some operations might require a commercial but that's their own requirement, not an FAA one.

You do know that towing gliders for compensation only requires a Private license? Some operations might require a commercial but that's their own requirement, not an FAA one.

Yes. It's an operator requirement, not an FAA issue.

Flight time is minimal. Mine was about 5 hours. You know most of it already. The Commerical just tightens the standards a little. For example, the steep turns are just a littler steeper.

I spent most of my time working on the power-off 180. I also needed to learn the new maneuvers...chandelles, lazy 8s and 8s on pylons. But all of those were fun.

The written and oral are really just the same stuff you did on your private with a little commercial regulation sprinkled in.

Like you, I did it right after instrument. It worked well.

Yeah wow, I have 3 hours into just getting my complex sign off. Either I'm a slow learner or my instructors are dragging me along a bit.

Yeah wow, I have 3 hours into just getting my complex sign off. Either I'm a slow learner or my instructors are dragging me along a bit.

I think it's highly dependent on the type of your experience. I had a lot of time in the Arrow via the instrument rating. The aerial work seemed fairly natural following some recent time in a Citabria.

But regardless, don't assume it's an instructor or student issue if it's going faster or slower than what others tell you. Each situation is unique.

Congrats!!! I'm not sure I ever could do a chandele, but that's another thread.

Steep spirals from the right seat are death

Lol!! The commercial is the one ride that I'm confident I could not pass today. I think I could muddle through most everything else.

I will say this, it was the most fun I've had on a checkride. It's just more enjoyable flying with your eyes outside. That instrument stuff gets old!

That's the truth.

I'm working on my IFR right now (23.5 hours in) and I think I'm going to ceremoniously burn my hood once I finish.

Congrats! Interesting that it only took you 5 hours. I plan to do this when my wife finishes her private.

Back