Just curious....

bobmrg

En-Route
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
Bob Gardner
How many of you still rely on a handheld microphone and the airplane's speaker instead of a headset?

Bob Gardner

On a long trip, more than 3-4 hours, my headsets start to hurt my ears. I’ll switch to the overhead speaker and use the hand mic. Works great. At 2100 to 2200 rpm, the cockpit is 87-89 decibels, not too bad.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I can't remember when I used the mic last - maybe tried it out on the ground a few years ago, curious to see if it still worked? As of a few years ago, I did have the speaker "on" usually, just kinda backup/second source. . .but to answer direct, I think it's more than 30 years since I relied on the mic and speaker.

How many of you still rely on a handheld microphone and the airplane's speaker instead of a headset?

Bob Gardner

What is this "speaker" and "microphone" of which you speak?
The Cub has paper cups and a string. It aspires to having something electrical.

Other than that, I haven't used either for decades.

Never while in flight. I do use the speaker to listen to the ATIS/AWOS before cranking the engine though.

And the Skylane's hand held microphone rides in the pocket behind my seat.

Do the "newer" aircraft even have hand held mics?

My audio panel glitched out once last year and I was able resort to the overhead speaker and the handheld mic. It was nice that it was there...

I used the handheld mic in my 172N just a few months ago when the PTT switch on the yoke went on the fritz. Glad it was there.

I didn't start using headsets until the early 1990s or so, other than in the hideously skull-rattling McCulloch Gyroplane (1971). When I think back to all those hours instructing in some pretty noisy airplanes, I'm grateful and somewhat surprised to still have excellent hearing.

Not since 1986, when ATC asked if I was having trouble with my radio. To which I replied, no I'm just in a crappy old Cessna 150 with leaky door seals. Oh, OK

Got some headsets then.

...The Cub has paper cups and a string. It aspires to having something electrical...

Vintage glareshield fan that fits the era (solar powered would look out of place). For those hot days and sweaty-palm crosswind approaches. :D

electric-motor-nob.png

Last edited:

Bob Gardner

No microphone in the plane. The only time the speaker comes on is if I accidentally hit one of the audio panel toggles the wrong way.

I know not of this thing you ask of. There is an unique clip in the center lower panel, but alas, it is empty.

I know not of this thing you ask of. There is an unique clip in the center lower panel, but alas, it is empty.
I am willing to impart the unique knowledge and hardware you lack and seek: $500! :D

The intercom and headset are the greatest advance in aviation since, I dunno, the enclosed cockpit. Installed in my '65 Debonair in '83 and never looked back.

I've never ever used a handheld mic. In fact, neither of the two planes I've owned even had one.

My airplane doesn’t have a hand mike ,or speaker.

I’ve got both in my twin, but haven’t considered using either until this thread. Suddenly, I’m curious. Did a 5-hr flight in April, would have been nice to pull off the headset once in cruise ...dangit.

I always start the plane with headphones off so I can hear the startup and engine during warmup. During that time I listen to AWOS or ATIS on the overhead speaker and then do the same for ground or unicom. My headphones usually go on at run up time.

I've thought of having 121.5 on the second nav/com to the speaker but just never get around to doing it.

We keep the mic in the glove box on the copilot side.

There's this funny holder down by the elevator trim and fuel selector where the CFI's keep there whip :)

Do the "newer" aircraft even have hand held mics?
Yes, I have flown the new Cirrus and new Cessna's, both have them and as other have posted here, some times there is a problem with a PTT or some other glitz and it's great to have a hand held mic

Neither of my personal planes have a speaker, let alone a hand mic. I decided it wasn't necessary when I built my Tango, and the T-Craft doesn't have an electrical system.

The aircraft I fly for work has a limitation that says pilots must use a headset, however there is a clunky looking mic that gathers dust in one of the side pockets and a speaker that some folks like to turn on while using their headset. It occasionally will cause a feedback squeal when they do that.

I use the speaker to listen to ATIS sometimes. Mic failed many years ago, have it on my things to buy list. Seems like other things are more important because I have not replaced it yet.

Bob Gardner
No one who still has his hearing.

The microphone clip is the perfect size to hang a 2AA Mini Mag Light from. My old clip is between the windshield and my window, easily accessible pretty much all of the time. No clue where the old mic is, maybe a previous owner ditched it prior to 2007. Besides, airplanes dont fly due to anything discovered by Marconi . . . . His stuff can ake it more enjoyable, though.

Here's a nice pot stirring question...

For those older planes that had a mic provided with the plane when it was new, and have since had their mics disappear, are those mics listed on the equipment list in the back of the PHO, AFM or whatever? I've never looked, but it would be hilarious to think there are a bunch of planes flying around unairworthy due to a missing mic.

I have a hand mic and speaker. In fact replaced them both last Spring as both were getting wonky. Just like the idea of inexpensive working back-ups.

Only time I've used the speaker and hand held was when I was on the ground with the engine off to talk to someone on the ground or air.

It must have been 10 years ago the last time I tried, and the sound from the speaker was so awful that we couldn’t make out what ate was saying. This was in an ‘85-ish 172 with the 180 HP conversion in cruise flight. I’m sure it would have been barely useable if I’d throttled back.

2008. I was a solo student in a PA28-140 that had no PTT on the yoke and I forgot my plug in switch.

Thanks, folks. I am updating Say Again, Please and in looking at the catalogs from Sporty and Aircraft Spruce to see if there is anything new i find that handheld mikes are an endangered species.

Bob

For those older planes that had a mic provided with the plane when it was new, and have since had their mics disappear, are those mics listed on the equipment list in the back of the PHO, AFM or whatever? I've never looked, but it would be hilarious to think there are a bunch of planes flying around unairworthy due to a missing mic.
That same thought came to mind when reading the post. Funny Not one CFI has mentioned it during a flight review, POH, placards, registration...all in order. No mic in the plane.

Thanks, folks. I am updating Say Again, Please and in looking at the catalogs from Sporty and Aircraft Spruce to see if there is anything new i find that handheld mikes are an endangered species.

Bob
Here is the one I sourced out, just have not purchased it. Been on my list for 10 years or so. Budget always puts it to the bottom of the list. Have spare head sets and PTT no mic, $140 from Spruce.
TELEX 66TRA TRANSISTORIZED MICROPHONE
66TRA.jpg

(Click image for a larger view)
66TRA.jpg

See Below for Parts, Pricing, and Ordering

From $138.80 to $149.00

Yeah, "drop the mic and fly the plane" is no longer appropriate. Neither are snide comments about accident investigators finding pilots with the microphone still grasped in their dead hands . . . .

I seem to recall a mic in the Beech Skipper from my first few lessons in 1992/93, before my instructor left to fly Lears for a carpet company and didn't even cancel my lesson. When I started back in 2006, the 172 had dual push-to-talks.

Were fights over the microphone ever a big issue?

I haven’t seen a mice since I bought the plane. Story is that the mic and chart holder got together and ranoff to parts unknown...:goofy:

Flew a lot as a CFI from '78-'89 and always used the Mike, no headsets at all. Been back instructing the past few years and all 5 of the flight school planes have no mikes. We use headsets now, and much more effective and better for flight instruction.

Here's a nice pot stirring question...

Good question. I just looked and it's listed as "Additional Optional Equipment" in mine (76 Cardinal).

Back