Just curious....

I flew a 2015 Bonanza a few weeks ago and noticed it had one. Thought it was a thing of the past but I guess not.
This may depend on the airplane. The newest airplane that I've flown was a 2011 Remos GX, and that did not come with speaker or microphone. But it did have fancy connectors for noise-canceling headsets, which provide onboard power. The owner even had a compatible set. Interestingly enough, on that airplane, plugging a headset that is set to "mono" sound burns out the intercom. It must be "stereo". Good grief. Fortunately my ancient David Clark is "stereo".

Never used one. My plane has had it removed

Just a note that some audio panels apparently aren't compatible with the original hand microphone socket. The socket gets removed when the newfangled, whoop-dee-do audio panel is installed. Nothing is added to the AFM/POH when it happens.

I started my training in 1988 using a hand mic and speaker. My instructor and I would have to scream to hear each other in the Cessna 152. Not surprisingly, radio communication was one of the hardest things for me to master. I got a used pair of Softcoms back in 1991 and kicked myself for not getting one sooner. Back then, built-in intercoms were not common. Luckily they weren't necessary for radio work.

Our PC12's all have hand mic's. No-one uses them though. But they are there (2 of them).

Keep our mic in the glove box mostly as a novelty these days, but it’d work in a pinch as a backup. Technically the old ELT has a mic jack also... could be useful for that. If you want to talk to the idiots who’ve flown over six times trying to figure out their Becker DF. LOL.

The '69 Arrow at the flight has a bullhorn for backup comm. Haven't figured how to receive comm on it yet. :cool:

Not anymore. I did as a kid. We all did back them. I wear hearing aids now. Hearing is precious so protect those ears. And the 6 grand for decent hearing aids could buy some 100LL

Back