Just bought my own plane

FAR 61.129 says:
(j) Technically advanced airplane. Unless otherwise authorized by the Administrator, a technically advanced airplane must be equipped with an electronically advanced avionics system that includes the following installed components:

(1) An electronic Primary Flight Display (PFD) that includes, at a minimum, an airspeed indicator, turn coordinator, attitude indicator, heading indicator, altimeter, and vertical speed indicator;​

Some argue that since the G5 airspeed indicator and altimeter are not primary (you must retain the analog versions) then the G5 cannot be a PFD. Others argue that it does not matter. As I said, it may have to come down to the DPE.

Yep, it all comes down to the DPE. I’ve seen it argued both ways and in the end, the DPE opinion is the only one that counts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congratulations! You are in for a wonderful experience filled with remarkable memories and tons of fun, with occasional moments of frustration.

Enjoy the experience!

Abram Finkeltein
N685AS

Congrats, Roger! I bought a 1968 Cherokee 140 a few months ago and flew it cross country from NJ to GA. It has an old school Garmin 300XL GPS which features an amusingly simplistic moving map but it works. I put in a Garmin G5 attitude indicator and having all of my readings in one place (even if secondary) is very convenient.

I find the Cherokee 140 to be a very capable 2+2 airplane. With my wife and kids (3 and 6), I can fly with full fuel tanks and still have weight to spare. Fill to the tabs and I have even more margin to play with. Of course, be mindful of density altitude and takeoff performance. It’s a great airplane for this stage of life. When the kids become teens, then it may be time to upgrade to greater useful load like a Cherokee 180 or Cessna 182.

Transitioning from a Cessna 172 was a piece of cake. Remember your fuel pump, log times when you switch tanks, and when trimming, screw into the sky to trim up and screw out of the sky to trim down.

1F1A5E57-637D-42FB-B6B8-2CC6ED47C712.jpeg7BF82168-4B55-4CDE-9EC6-9B267D08B674.jpeg

Congrats, Roger! I bought a 1968 Cherokee 140 a few months ago and flew it cross country from NJ to GA. It has an old school Garmin 300XL GPS which features an amusingly simplistic moving map but it works. I put in a Garmin G5 attitude indicator and having all of my readings in one place (even if secondary) is very convenient.

I find the Cherokee 140 to be a very capable 2+2 airplane. With my wife and kids (3 and 6), I can fly with full fuel tanks and still have weight to spare. Fill to the tabs and I have even more margin to play with. Of course, be mindful of density altitude and takeoff performance. It’s a great airplane for this stage of life. When the kids become teens, then it may be time to upgrade to greater useful load like a Cherokee 180 or Cessna 182.

Transitioning from a Cessna 172 was a piece of cake. Remember your fuel pump, log times when you switch tanks, and when trimming, screw into the sky to trim up and screw out of the sky to trim down.

View attachment 108530View attachment 108535

Nice looking plane! I thought it would take a lot longer to get used to the trim on the ceiling, but it didn’t. I have already logged 19 hours in her in the last 3 weeks. She’s a great flyers and I’m really happy.

I thought it would take a lot longer to get used to the trim on the ceiling, but it didn’t.

It took me a while to get used to it until I read something on this forum or one of the Piper forums. Leave the handle pointed to you the pilot on the left seat. That way, if you want trim down, you push the handle forward. If you want trim up, you pull the handle backwards. Now I don't even have to think about it anymore due to that hack.

It took me a while to get used to it until I read something on this forum or one of the Piper forums. Leave the handle pointed to you the pilot on the left seat. That way, if you want trim down, you push the handle forward. If you want trim up, you pull the handle backwards. Now I don't even have to think about it anymore due to that hack.

I just think that sweeping from back to front on left side is down, and reverse is up.

So... the same wrist and/or finger motion as a panel mounted trim wheel except overhead?

Yeah, kind of. I think panel or floor is more intuitive, but ceiling isn’t a big learning curve. With panel or floor, the top of the wheel turns toward the nose, it goes down. Away from the nose and it goes up. I never had to think about it there. On the roof, it takes a little getting used to.

Funny how everyone remembers the trim. I've always thought of the handle as if it were extended thus, hitting you in the forehead makes the nose go up and hitting yourself in the back of the head makes the nose go down.

Very nice IFR setup! The addition of WAAS GPS (eventually) will significantly improve capability. Flying LPV approaches into non-metro airports is an eye-opener. Congrats, and enjoy ownership. So much better flying a plane you know and keep to your standards, than renting.

cherokee.jpg Just saw this post...congrats!!!

I bought my Cherokee 180 two weeks before I took my checkride, and in the past 28 months I have flown her 348 hours and visited 22 states and Mexico, went to SnF and OSH last year, and fixing to leave on a 3000 km journey up to see customers in Colorado, Wyoming and Montana, then head to Oshkosh for another epic 2 week journey.

I do wish at times that my plane was faster as I use it for work to go see customers, but it's paid for, and to replace her with something more complex would be a lot more expensive. I mostly fly alone, but my wife has been with me to go see my parents in Illinois, to a vacation in Arkansas, and multiple day trips for breakfast.

I don't even have a GPS installed, and I was going to get one done with some G5's so I also could get my IR, but I don't want it to be down for 3 months. Foreflight works just fine for my type of flying.

Funny how everyone remembers the trim. I've always thought of the handle as if it were extended thus, hitting you in the forehead makes the nose go up and hitting yourself in the back of the head makes the nose go down.

I used to remember righty tighty which prompted me to "tighten right UP" and (politics aside) turning left as "going DOWN" ...

View attachment 108590 Just saw this post...congrats!!!

I bought my Cherokee 180 two weeks before I took my checkride, and in the past 28 months I have flown her 348 hours and visited 22 states and Mexico, went to SnF and OSH last year, and fixing to leave on a 3000 km journey up to see customers in Colorado, Wyoming and Montana, then head to Oshkosh for another epic 2 week journey.

I do wish at times that my plane was faster as I use it for work to go see customers, but it's paid for, and to replace her with something more complex would be a lot more expensive. I mostly fly alone, but my wife has been with me to go see my parents in Illinois, to a vacation in Arkansas, and multiple day trips for breakfast.

I don't even have a GPS installed, and I was going to get one done with some G5's so I also could get my IR, but I don't want it to be down for 3 months. Foreflight works just fine for my type of flying.

Three months? Mine took less than 3 weeks last August. Are the avionics that scare and/or the shops backed up?

Three months? Mine took less than 3 weeks last August. Are the avionics that scare and/or the shops backed up?

Every shop cautioned that it could be up to 3 months due to workload

Spruce says G5's are in stock. I heard GPS's are backed up, particularly the GNX375.

Every shop cautioned that it could be up to 3 months due to workload
Let us know when you’re back in Colorado….we haven’t had a get-together since Mark was here…couple, 3 years ago with the monkey. By the way…don’t need an avionics shop to install the G5 as the AI. The A&P at the shop did it in a day or so. However, they had already installed a bunch, so they knew what to do.

Let us know when you’re back in Colorado….we haven’t had a get-together since Mark was here…couple, 3 years ago with the monkey. By the way…don’t need an avionics shop to install the G5 as the AI. The A&P at the shop did it in a day or so. However, they had already installed a bunch, so they knew what to do.
5 Years ago :). Time flies.

Looks like next Thursday/Friday I'll be at APA.

By the way…don’t need an avionics shop to install the G5 as the AI. The A&P at the shop did it in a day or so. However, they had already installed a bunch, so they knew what to do.

Mine's a little more complicated. I have an STEC-20 and to couple it using the G5 and a new GPS is going to be a lot of work they say.

Spruce says G5's are in stock. I heard GPS's are backed up, particularly the GNX375.
Didn't some of the members here say the Garmin 275's are backed up 6 months?

Didn't some of the members here say the Garmin 275's are backed up 6 months?
Spruce says they have the CDI/MFD/EIS version. However I've heard 6 months for the ADAHRS version, but that's info privy to Garmin dealers.

Back