just a thought on emergency briefing

eman1200

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Bro do you even lift
2 thoughts, actually.....

I'm not a huge fan of the typical pre-takeoff emergency briefing we're taught to give passengers. let's take a brand new pax for example.....they're probably nervous, they've endured the preflight, taxi/runup, are probably sweaty-palmed and anxious, you're about to take the runway, then BLAMO..."oh and by the way, in about 10 seconds we 'may' end up in the fence, we 'may' end up in the trees, and we 'maybe possibly' can make it back to the runway, but who knows". for new pax I have tried to get creative and work that briefing into a conversation we may have a day or a week ahead of the flight, so when the time comes I can just kind of remind them of the conversation we had earlier, and it's not as "in your face" as the last-minute briefing can be.

second thought.........we do a pre-flight emergency briefing, why don't we do one at some point from descent to entering the pattern? something around the fact that you're getting low and slow, making power adjustments, if we should lose an engine, yadda yadda yadda?

I dunno, just a coupl'a thoughts.

Probably better then by the way if we crash here's how to open the doors.

Here's what I do: I show pax how to open the doors, saying "if we need to get out quickly, here's what you do, but only when I tell you. There's a fire extinguisher under the seat (to the person in the copilot seat), don't touch it unless I tell you to. Seatbelts on at all times, any questions, ask me."

You mean like how Southwest Airlines does their briefings?

On my preflight briefings when I get to the part about how to use the fire extinguisher, I recommend "in case of fire please put out the pilot first"....

For the person sitting next to the door, I explain how to open the door "because you will need to go get help in case something happens"...

"The survival gear with food is in the orange bag at the back of the plane. There is not much chance of survival if you actually eat the food"....

And I never do mag checks and cycling the props with passengers onboard. That is done before the passengers arrive at the terminal.

"So, you know how the door handle works because you just latched it. When we're done and it's time to get out, just lift it up to open the door. Your seatbelt unlatches like in old cars - pull up on this part and it unhooks. Oh, be careful about putting anything down here between the seats. The fire extinguisher's there and we don't want to set something on it that might bump the handle and set it off. That's about all I have. If anything comes up, I'll tell you what we're doing and just ask if you have a question."

That gives the passenger what they need to know for emergency egress, putting out a fire and standing by for emergency instructions from the pilot.

Great insight. I normally brief my pax on how to do the seatbelts and the door, and leave it at that.

Nice thread, good thoughts.
I too give a positive briefing, not mentioning death, fireballs or crashes.
I logically teach the passenger how to open the door and prop it open in case we need to land in a field. I don't try to scare anyone.

There are some funny videos on YouTube on how NOT to brief your passengers. :)

Anything happen below 200ft, we are landing straight ahead, dodging obstructions as needed. Above 200 ft we turn away from the other (parralle) runway turn around and we'll be back here. Above 500 ft we'll fly a close in pattern far enough down the runway to turn around and land into the wind.

I'm sure people occasionally freak out on an airliner with the "in the unlikely event of a water landing, your seat cushion can be used as a floatation device" speech, but I've never heard of it.

I brief all passengers about what I expect of them in an emergency. What I'm going to do is not important to them. A passenger who can't handle that is a hazard and should not be flown with, but I've never encountered one. In some airplanes, opening the door is not obvious to nonpilots (a Cessna 206 back door is a puzzle with the flaps down), and should be briefed.

Evacuation order is quite important to avoid trapping backseaters, and often overlooked.

I'm not a huge fan of the typical pre-takeoff emergency briefing we're taught to give passengers. let's take a brand new pax for example.....they're probably nervous

I find it's best to put some humor into it...

On my preflight briefings when I get to the part about how to use the fire extinguisher, I recommend "in case of fire please put out the pilot first"....

For the person sitting next to the door, I explain how to open the door "because you will need to go get help in case something happens"...

"The survival gear with food is in the orange bag at the back of the plane. There is not much chance of survival if you actually eat the food"....

And I never do mag checks and cycling the props with passengers onboard. That is done before the passengers arrive at the terminal.

... like this. I don't think I like the wording of the second one though, it lacks humor and "something happens" makes it feel like you don't know what's going on.

Also, I've found that pax don't mind the normal runup at all if you just explain what you're doing and why. In fact, explaining the dual mag/dual spark plug setup to anyone with a basic understanding of how an internal combustion engine works is a good way to demonstrate that there are a lot of backup systems even in a single-engine plane.

Also, I've found that pax don't mind the normal runup at all if you just explain what you're doing and why. In fact, explaining the dual mag/dual spark plug setup to anyone with a basic understanding of how an internal combustion engine works is a good way to demonstrate that there are a lot of backup systems even in a single-engine plane.

Yep, never had trouble with the runup. I just say, "We're going to stop here and do a quick engine check and then be ready to go." They've always appreciated knowing that I do check things before I fly, and they get to see the engine check first hand.

I am not big on detailed preflight briefings.
"Let me know if you have any questions, speak up if at any point you are uncomfortable, If I put my finger in the air it means be quite I need to listen to someone. Don't touch the red knob"

Always before taking the runway "Is everyone ready to go?"

zoom zoom

2 thoughts, actually.....

I'm not a huge fan of the typical pre-takeoff emergency briefing we're taught to give passengers. let's take a brand new pax for example.....they're probably nervous, they've endured the preflight, taxi/runup, are probably sweaty-palmed and anxious, you're about to take the runway, then BLAMO..."oh and by the way, in about 10 seconds we 'may' end up in the fence, we 'may' end up in the trees, and we 'maybe possibly' can make it back to the runway, but who knows". for new pax I have tried to get creative and work that briefing into a conversation we may have a day or a week ahead of the flight, so when the time comes I can just kind of remind them of the conversation we had earlier, and it's not as "in your face" as the last-minute briefing can be.

That particular briefing is more for yourself, and other pilots if applicable. I don't see any use of telling passengers what altitude you'll turn back to the airport or not.

Do 6 to 8 legs a day for 20 days in a row each month for 7 years with passengers and see how long you like explaining everything. That takes time, and I have a schedule to keep. I do want to finish my flights in the 14 hours I am allowed. And how many passengers have any understanding of an internal combustion engine? I am sure a few might, but I don't have time to find those passengers and have them explain to the rest about the workings of an engine.

In the air ambulance business, time is life. I don't have time to explain to a possibly pain medicated or unconscious patient what I am going to do and what sounds they may hear. The med crew already knows.

Maybe a private pilot that does one flight a month and has nothing but time can get the dry erase board out and draw the 4 strokes of an engine and explain what is happening, but my job is to get the patient and crew to the destination safely and without undue delay.

The passengers expect me to get them to their destination, not hold science class. Do the preflight and run up before the passengers even get to the airport. If there is a rough mag I can clear it out without scaring the pants off the passengers, or change planes. I don't have time to get out of my seat and walk to each passenger and draw a picture for them.

I never shortcut anything. Safety not only comes first but is required by FARs. I just take care of business before the passengers arrive so all they see is the flight. The safety briefing has specific rules on what information is to be covered. Each and every leg.

I guess I should have started by explaining that my job is single pilot IFR. My office is the cockpit. I spend a lot of time in the office. My passengers are not friends that just want to take an airplane ride, but depend on me to get the job done safely and efficiently. Its called professionalism.

I think that flying commercially is a bit different than what most people here are talking about. I think everyone but you is talking about private pilot with a friend or family member sitting in the right seat, or possibly in back. I'd love to do my run up before my passengers show up, but since where I fly from that would require me to taxi to the runway, then back to parking again, that's just not gonna happen. That runup just cost me $20. F that. You dont need to explain everything, simply saying "I'm just gonna stop here and do a quick engine test" while you're pulling into the runup area literally takes ZERO extra time, and I've yet to have anyone not understand that. I have had some friends who are familiar with engines ask me about what I'm doing, and I'm happy to tell them if they wanna know. If not I buzz through it just like I do when I'm alone.

Flying for work is a whole other animal, and a different expectation of safety. When you're paying for the flight you expect it to be safe. I've found that most people who go flying with a friend don't have that same comfort level, and thus sometimes giving them a little more info can make them feel better. For some reason it always seems to be my female friends who say "I don't wanna die" when I invite them to fly somewhere with me. Umm, yeah I don't wanna die either, and I'll be sitting 3" away from you. LOL

I'm not a huge fan of the typical pre-takeoff emergency briefing we're taught to give passengers. let's take a brand new pax for example.....they're probably nervous, they've endured the preflight, taxi/runup, are probably sweaty-palmed and anxious, you're about to take the runway, then BLAMO..."oh and by the way, in about 10 seconds we 'may' end up in the fence, we 'may' end up in the trees, and we 'maybe possibly' can make it back to the runway, but who knows".

I don't think I've ever said anything resembling that to a passenger.

I tell them how the door(s) works, how to get out, make sure they know how the seatbelts work, and remind them that they need to keep the seatbelt fastened.

Why bother going through a list of what to do if this or that happens? If you're informing them of the risks of flying, that's one thing - but as you're pulling onto the runway is not a good time for that. If you're explaining what to do in any given emergency, that may be wasted effort. They know how to get out of the plane. In an actual emergency they aren't going to remember anything else. I say if there are any issues, I'll let them know what to do. I've got a plan for various scenarios in my head. I've rehearsed it. My passengers haven't. If I tell them the plan... they've heard the plan once. After hearing it once, possible hours ago, I don't think it's reasonable to expect them to do their part without direct instructions.

Instead I point out things that are likely to be relevant on every flight - I need to hear radio communications, the changes in engine noise you hear are normal, feel free to ask questions but not when we are taking off or landing, make sure your seat is locked in place (looking at you Cessna), etc...

Seems to me that improves safety a lot more than making passengers apprehensive with a misc. listing of all the ways this could turn into a disaster.

EVERY front seat passenger in a Cessna gets told to do the butt wiggle, and if the seat gives at rotation, to let it go (it won't go far) and not grab any handle-like thing in front of them. And then to visualize it happening.

There are some things you simply must do and say. Cessna seat latches, to put it mildly, suck donkeys.

As for passengers always knowing how to get out, sit in the back seat of a Cessna 206, have someone put the flaps down, and try to get out. It's placarded, but who reads those with the airplane on fire? Most people unfamiliar with PA28s need to be shown both latches.

Yeah; I have to say, never given a passenger a takeoff brief. I go through door opening/closing, how seatbelts work, where the fire extinguisher is, tell them that I might press the isolate button during busy portions of flight and then won't be able to hear them, but to tap me on the shoulder if they see another plane or safety issue.

The biggest thing I always say that I haven't seen mentioned here yet is that if we find ourselves unexpectedly on the ground, get out of the plane, run a good ways behind the plane (away from the prop) and I'll meet them back there.

I guess the "unexpectedly on the ground" bit has the potential to scare people, but phrasing it like that I haven't had that issue, maybe because of the humorous phrasing. (Then again, I'm generally dealing with reasonably adventurous people in their 20's.)

I also explain before landing what the stall horn is (and demonstrate if it's not disruptive to the flight) and why they'll probably hear it just before we touch down. Something along the lines of "this is a warning that goes off if we're getting too slow to keep flying. You'll probably hear it just as we land, because at that point we want to be going as slow as possible and don't need to be flying anymore."

Yeah; I have to say, never given a passenger a takeoff brief.

This. I think the OP may be combining the passenger safety briefing and the takeoff briefing into one thing. Might be helpful to think of it at two things.

Passenger safety briefing - I like using the SAFETY mnemonic (just for Greg brockleman :D): (s)eat belts, (a)ir vents, (f)ire extinguisher, (e)gress, (t)raffic/talking, (y)our questions.

Takeoff briefing - this ones for the crew to cover departure type, airplane performance, emergencies.

The less they know the better off everyone is. And if you have pilot swagger you can say anything you want without freaking them out.

This. I think the OP may be combining the passenger safety briefing and the takeoff briefing into one thing.....

YES. jeez, why do I do that? although personally I view all passengers as partial crew members, right seaters anyways. they may not know it, they may be "on standby", but they are either working (looking for traffic, finding landmarks, etc..) or potentially working (ie in case of that emergency). I feel they need to have an idea of what might happen in case of engine out on takeoff/climbout, I just don't think they need to be introduced to this 30 seconds before takeoff. that is why I try to have a high level conversation with new pax long before we even get in the plane. this almost always comes up when sure enough someone says "is it dangerous?". that's when I can bring up "there are things to be aware of and things we train for, like a rare engine out on takeoff/climbout yadda yadda...".

FWIW, I think the best passenger briefing that provides information but doesn't frighten is one that sounds like the one they've heard many times on the airlines (with the obvious variations). At this point they know that the airline ones are 999 out of 1000 times just a precaution. As they are with ours with the exception of items such as "sterile cockpit" periods.

Simple, to the point, familiar. Maybe even humorous. No need to make it more complicated.

I basically hit on seatbelts, door operation, emergency equipment, and environmentals/passenger comfort. Front seat occupants also get briefed on flight controls and how to not interfere with them. If there is a safety card (it comes with the newer Cessnas), I provide it for them.

"Newer Cessnas: Fasten your seatbelt by inserting the metal tip into the buckle. To release your seatbelt, [lift up on the top flap on the buckle/push the red button like you would in a car]. (Modified as necessary; I at least point out the different buckles and compare the seatbelts to what they would find in a car.)

Older Cessnas/Pipers: Fasten your seatbelt by inserting the metal tip into the buckle and tighten by pulling on the loose strap. A shoulder harness is attached by hooking the metal tip on the notch on top of the seatbelt buckle. To release your seatbelt, lift up on the top flap on the buckle. (Modified as necessary; I at least point out the shoulder harness.)

PA-28s: The door is on the right side of the cabin. To open the door, lift up on the lower handle and twist the top latch to the unlocked position. You may have to pull the door in slightly to get it to open. Rear passengers exit first.

Cessnas: There are two doors, one on each side. To open the door, lift up on the handle. Rear passengers exit through my side.

All: When exiting the airplane, move away from the propeller.

A fire extinguisher is located between the front seats. (Front seat occupant also gets shown the PTT switch, 121.5mHz, and the ELT switch.)

(I point out where the fresh air inlets are, and how to operate them). If you feel any discomfort, please let me know (I do not mention specific symptoms of air sickness in case they start imagining it).

Any questions?"

Before taxi, takeoff, and landing: "Seatbelts on?"

The passengers do not get the pre-takeoff briefing. It provides no real benefit for them.

Passenger safety briefing - I like using the SAFETY mnemonic (just for Greg brockleman :D): (s)eat belts, (a)ir vents, (f)ire extinguisher, (e)gress, (t)raffic/talking, (y)our questions.

That's the one I use. The short form is, "Sit down, strap in, shut up."

For a first time pax I want them to show me they can unlatch the door. The extra latch on Warriors does throw them the first time.

The other big item is the air vents - that's actually more important than I thought. The first time I took my youngest daughter flying was in the winter. She stayed pretty quiet during the flight even though I kept trying to get her to talk. After we landed she said, "It was fun, but a lot colder than I expected." Turns out an open air vent was blasting right on her - she thought that was just normal for small planes and didn't want to say anything and be seen as a complainer.

I laminated a card and keep it in the door pocket and give it to every pasenger to read. It has the basics and I tell them which way we are taking off and which way we are turning on course so they are ready. I point out the airspeed, altimeter and compass so they can follow along.

Before approach I tell the passengers I will be busy and they should stop casual conversaton and keep a look out. I tell them I will be adjusting the throttle and flaps and there will be a (stall) warning horn that will sound as we get close to the ground and that is all normal.

Do 6 to 8 legs a day for 20 days in a row each month for 7 years with passengers and see how long you like explaining everything. That takes time, and I have a schedule to keep. I do want to finish my flights in the 14 hours I am allowed.

We're not talking commercial operations here, just a private pilot taking a first-time passenger. Anyone who's riding in an air ambulance probably realizes that a crash is the least of their worries!

And how many passengers have any understanding of an internal combustion engine?

Most of them, actually. Or maybe I just fly more knowledgeable people than you do. :rolleyes:

In the air ambulance business, time is life. I don't have time to explain to a possibly pain medicated or unconscious patient what I am going to do and what sounds they may hear. The med crew already knows.

So don't do it. My suggestions aren't for your type of operation, and I wouldn't do what I'm talking about in your shoes.

I guess I should have started by explaining that my job is single pilot IFR. My office is the cockpit. I spend a lot of time in the office. My passengers are not friends that just want to take an airplane ride, but depend on me to get the job done safely and efficiently. Its called professionalism.

Yup - And for your situation, I think you take the right approach.

Depends on the passengers knowledge ,how much info I give. Want to make the flight enjoyable,with no surprises. Like to explain run up and short discussion on the inst. in panel. Also like to give a heads up on what the landing is going to look like.

Depends on the passengers knowledge ,how much info I give. Want to make the flight enjoyable,with no surprises. Like to explain run up and short discussion on the inst. in panel. Also like to give a heads up on what the landing is going to look like.

And do NOT say "oh ****" just because you forgot to turn on your transponder. That really freaks them out. :rofl:

Yes, I did that once. With a new passenger. Doh! These days, I prefer to add the "If I'm not screaming, you don't need to worry" line.

I also like to explain that they may hear a loud beeping noise during takeoff or landing and that it's normal. Nothing like having a perfect squeaker of a full-stall landing and then having the pax freaked out because you didn't tell them that.

And do NOT say "oh ****" just because you forgot to turn on your transponder. That really freaks them out. :rofl:

I once told my passengers that we were passing 12,500 (crossing a high mountain pass, looking for smooth air), so we had 30 minutes before we needed oxygen.

Bad choice of words.

I have to admit that afte reaching cruise altitude in a 4-place single I have said to passengers, "we have leveled off at our cruising altitude of X feet. Feel free to move about the cabin."

I have to admit that afte reaching cruise altitude in a 4-place single I have said to passengers, "we have leveled off at our cruising altitude of X feet. Feel free to move about the cabin."
I say that as well. Usually during the preflight briefing which also includes the door, why we leave it open until we are ready to leave, a note about not worrying if the door opens in flight, and how to latch it when told to. By the way, having only one door, the right seated is in charge.

lol yeah sometimes I'll throw in a "there's no movie or beverage service on this flight" or something about tray tables being in their upright and locked position.

Here's what I do: I show pax how to open the doors, saying "if we need to get out quickly, here's what you do, but only when I tell you. There's a fire extinguisher under the seat (to the person in the copilot seat), don't touch it unless I tell you to. Seatbelts on at all times, any questions, ask me."

Suppose you get knocked out unconscious?

I'm sure people occasionally freak out on an airliner with the "in the unlikely event of a water landing, your seat cushion can be used as a floatation device" speech, but I've never heard of it..

But, there are a lot of <sniks> when the airliner takes off, cruises, and lands in a desert.

And THE one you have to anticipate with the LEAST knowledge is ---->
(wait for it) ----

DPE!

Back