Jump seat

Velocity173

Touchdown! Greaser!
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Velocity173
Do the airlines still do free jump seat rides for ATC personnel?

I thought we did familiarization rides. I need to check my manual... The Director of Ops can approve them I'm almost positive.

No, they don't.

Well, they did then, because they showed up with one and it was in our FOM that they had to have it. I believe it was an actual FAA form. See if I can find it, or the form number. As I wrote, that was years ago, 3-4 years ago. Might have changed by now, I dunno.

Last edited:
@mscard88 we still have a flight deck training program, if that's what you are referring to...

We are required to be in a duty status (meaning we can't take our own time to do the trip) and can only take the trip if staffing and the operation will not be impacted. I only know the cliff notes of the program, I've never participated in it.

What I wrote above about showing up for the JS with the FAA form was fact a few years ago. I gave a couple rides to controllers and they showed up with the required form.

Last edited:
The program still exists but they (FAA) have put enough restrictions on it, to avoid the appearance of impropriety, that's few controllers ever use it.

As an airline pilot, I'd like to make the program easier to use so that more controllers would participate as the exchange of experience and information is helpful to both sides. If free transportation for vacation, or to visit family, etc. gets more controllers in the jump seat then I'm all for it. That would benefit the travelling public.

When I've looked through the FOM, I've seen ATC listed as jumpseat approved. They are actually pretty high up on the pecking order for the seat.

I did, home base to DTW, to BOS and BOS ORD home base on the return on a FAM ride one and a half years ago. On the way out it was Delta, way back United. Its a little paperwork sure. It also can't be used in conjunction with vacation. I work 4 10 hours days so both flights counted as a day of work. 5 days off and free flights on the jump seat to see a place my wife wouldn't care to go and get a crash course in the 121 side of things. Win win. Pilots were exceptional, I really felt like all parties learned quite a bit. I learned a ton about fuel burn work load and dirty up speeds. They learned about what I need to make their day smoother and get them to the overnight ASAP.

Most older guys I work with from the flash and dash days wont consider the program, but I'll use it from time to time.

Last one I took was in '79 or '80 when I worked at ZBOS. BOS to SFO and returned a few days later.

Did a couple during my military career. Yes, ATC used to be able to get FAM flights on military aircraft.
We took one ATC young lady from KC ARTCC on a B-52 flight. She spent a whole day with us in mission planning and completing her safety training for O2 equipment and parachute, manual bailout. The next day was a 12 hour mission, complete with O'dark 30 show, preflight, water injected takeoff, refueling, low level, weapons drop and return home with celestial navigation and an hour in the traffic pattern before the full stop landing.

She was worn out, but she had a goal of riding every military aircraft she could.

Last one I took was in '79 or '80 when I worked at ZBOS. BOS to SFO and returned a few days later.

Did a couple during my military career. Yes, ATC used to be able to get FAM flights on military aircraft.
We took one ATC young lady from KC ARTCC on a B-52 flight. She spent a whole day with us in mission planning and completing her safety training for O2 equipment and parachute, manual bailout. The next day was a 12 hour mission, complete with O'dark 30 show, preflight, water injected takeoff, refueling, low level, weapons drop and return home with celestial navigation and an hour in the traffic pattern before the full stop landing.

She was worn out, but she had a goal of riding every military aircraft she could.

I know in both the Navy and Air Force they used to be authorized back seat rides in jets. Friend in the Navy was sent all the way from Key West to Cecil Field just to get a back seat qual to ride in Key West A-4s and F-5s. Marines never really did that program although I know they've taken controllers up for a retirement flight in F-18s.

Generally we got rides on a regular basis in transports though. I remember one night sitting in the back of a P-3 and one of the pilots came back to talk. One of my friends must have told him I had a PPL because he told me if it weren't for having the CO on board, he would've put me in the pilot's seat and let me fly! Navy...

I've used it a few times. It's a neat program but very restrictive. Though once you fill out the paperwork the first time, it gets a little easier, especially if you use the same airline. Definitely gives us a new appreciation with what goes on on your side of the radio.

Looking at my manual, I know we allow it if you show me an FAA form and some other ID. I won't post the specifics because that part of my manual is SSI and I'm not sure what's kosher or not, but I'm guessing the ATC guys know what's needed. It'd be great to have you guys up front with us!

If they are not in CASS we need a letter from our DO. Thus, it can be done but not as a last minute walk up.

Back