JPI EDM 700 vs Insight G2

Penguinforce

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Penguinforce
I’m looking to upgrade our current single cylinder engine monitor instrument to an engine monitor that can read all 6 cylinders. Our mechanic recommended the JPI EDM 700 and the Insight G2. As far as I can tell, the main difference is the no color vs color display but I’m not too familiar with these and I’m looking to see what other people think/have a preference for. Any other brands I should consider? Looking to stay under $3k if possible including part and install.

My Insights have been great. 10 years with G1 and 3 years with G2. The G2 I have now has fuel flow and totalizer, OAT, voltage, and carb temp. If the JPI does not display all 6 CHTs and all 6 EGTs at once, that would be a huge disadvantage.

EI CGR-30 series. If I was replacing an engine monitor today, I’d want it to be primary replacement, but that’s just me.

You’d have to up the budget to get there though.

EI CGR-30 series. If I was replacing an engine monitor today, I’d want it to be primary replacement, but that’s just me.

You’d have to up the budget to get there though.

Depends on whether he wants primary gauges, or just EGT/CHT. If the latter, and not required, then JPI is more cost effective.

I favor the Insight because I like looking at ALL 12 numbers instead of trying to tape out the gap in the amber bars on the JPI.

The 930 is a bit much but if I was staying in JPI land, I'd try hard to make that fit somewhere.

Insight's customer service isn't the best, so I did a JPI790 recently for the same feature. I barely squeezed the mofo in and had to turn my hobbs meter sideways to accomodate the odd shape. :D

I’ve had an EDM-711 (the primary version of the 700) for 13 years. I like it. You can add other functions like carb temp and fuel flow but I prefer an FS-450 for fuel and never use the carb temp.

I favor the Insight because I like looking at ALL 12 numbers instead of trying to tape out the gap in the amber bars on the JPI.

The 930 is a bit much but if I was staying in JPI land, I'd try hard to make that fit somewhere.

Insight's customer service isn't the best, so I did a JPI790 recently for the same feature. I barely squeezed the mofo in and had to turn my hobbs meter sideways to accomodate the odd shape. :D

730 shows all 12 numbers. But the form factor with the overhang does create challenges. Kinda weird that they did not do a smaller version with a G5-style square screen footprint that only takes up one gauge hole.

JPI 730.PNG

730 shows all 12 numbers. But the form factor with the overhang does create challenges. Kinda weird that they did not do a smaller version with a G5-style square screen footprint that only takes up one gauge hole.

View attachment 114445

Yeah that's the single version of mine, dunno why I overlooked it on their site -- I'm pleased with it, it's "1.5 holes" basically, so if you can have it share with a neighbor, it works fine.

Here's how I installed mine. Silly, a bit obnoxious, but... it works and it's easy to read from the left seat.

upload_2023-1-31_17-55-37.png

Yeah that's the single version of mine, dunno why I overlooked it on their site -- I'm pleased with it, it's "1.5 holes" basically, so if you can have it share with a neighbor, it works fine.

Here's how I installed mine. Silly, a bit obnoxious, but... it works and it's easy to read from the left seat.

View attachment 114461

Yep, I am in the process of putting in an 830, and had to do some rearranging of deck chairs to fit it in. It will go to the right of the radios. Fortunately EGT is not required so I can toss the old gauge.

PXL_20210917_025334064 (6).jpg

Relocating the USB turned out to be more of a challenge. At least your Hobbs is only 90 degrees off. My USB is upside down!

PXL_20230107_234329777 (1).jpg

I have a JPI 700, I've seriously considered upgrading to a 730 for the larger real estate. It's a pita to step through everything. I would go for something larger and I have good eyesight.

Relocating the USB turned out to be more of a challenge. At least your Hobbs is only 90 degrees off. My USB is upside down!

Now I'm curious, what was it that required turning the USB upside down to make it fit?

I never touch my 711. It shows me what I want to know in a quick glance. There are lots of ways to get information. My engine instruments are pretty easy to comprehend. I like shiny new gadgets as much as anyone. My other plane has a G3X with EIS. Same info, a little different presentation. Both do the job. C4FD4E0E-9C4C-4798-B7FD-C4164D991E6E.jpeg

Now I'm curious, what was it that required turning the USB upside down to make it fit?

You have to cut an index notch in the hole the USB protrudes thru. The USB is slightly offset vertically due to interference with the radio body. With the notch at 12 o'clock it almost breaks the edge of the face plate.

Going to fabricate another face plate and try again. Or maybe paint over the Stratus logo.

Thanks for all the input everyone. From what I’ve gathered from the posts, no one is really recommending the JPI 700 but the 730 is an option and potentially slightly better probes than the insight G2 probes?

It isn't just that. The quality of service is atrocious at JPI still. The people at service may be plenty polite - but the front desk routes you to sales. The sales person (Christy) specifically tells you things that are entirely contrary to what is in the user manual for purposes of selling something that is not in the STC. Not worth it. Go with a different vendor.

It isn't just that. The quality of service is atrocious at JPI still. The people at service may be plenty polite - but the front desk routes you to sales. The sales person (Christy) specifically tells you things that are entirely contrary to what is in the user manual for purposes of selling something that is not in the STC. Not worth it. Go with a different vendor.

What kind of service ... tech support?

I've found them arrogant and annoying, but generally functional. They're not great with curve-balls in my last few exchanges with them.

I found insight pleasant but non-functional, with a bill associated with repairs that were clearly their fault and should have been warranted.

I like the UI on the Insight screen better than JPI. I've found the JPIs more reliable in general.

Anecdata. :D

I've found them arrogant and annoying, but generally functional. They're not great with curve-balls in my last few exchanges with them.

I found insight pleasant but non-functional, with a bill associated with repairs that were clearly their fault and should have been warranted.

I like the UI on the Insight screen better than JPI. I've found the JPIs more reliable in general.

Anecdata. :D
I was just filling out the Insight G2 order form and read your comment "non-functional". Please let me know your experience. I like the JPI presentation, but not the 730 form factor. Just doesn't fit cleanly. thanks.

I was just filling out the Insight G2 order form and read your comment "non-functional". Please let me know your experience. I like the JPI presentation, but not the 730 form factor. Just doesn't fit cleanly. thanks.

If your experience follows mine, and you're starting with a whole kit, expect a bad probe or two in the first year, and the possibility of some screen glitchiness that may see the unit sent back to them. I hope your experience beats that, as these units are rather mature now, or I'd hope so at least. The downtime going to eastern Canada was a real nuisance.

So I’ve settled on getting the G2. Any suggestions on which site to get it from in terms of price/reliability? Obviously there’s insights own website but what about a place like aircraftspruce or any other suggestions?

So I’ve settled on getting the G2. Any suggestions on which site to get it from in terms of price/reliability? Obviously there’s insights own website but what about a place like aircraftspruce or any other suggestions?

Spruce has a very small FBO discount available on the G2, not really enough to bother with. (Amounts to $100-$150) Can your installer get a deal and maybe make you a labor+part package up? I'd think the labor side had the most fat to render out of any prospective quote.

Our mechanic said he doesn’t really get a discount on it either unfortunately

Back