For Sale Joining flying club

mscard88

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Mark
Well we'll see how it goes. 2 Archers, 30-40 members but one of the CFIs said most don't fly much, if at all. $1000 buy in, $85 mo dues, $100 wet/hour. Good planes, maintained. Might use my CFI if I want, not sure yet about that. Have to get a checkout and FR, hopefully at the same time.

Well we'll see how it goes. 2 Archers, 30-40 members but one of the CFIs said most don't fly much, if at all. $1000 buy in, $85 mo dues, $100 wet/hour. Good planes, maintained. Might use my CFI if I want, not sure yet about that. Have to get a checkout and FR, hopefully at the same time.

Good luck. I hope it works for you. I joined a club a few months back with 2 172s and it seems to be a pretty decent deal. $77/mo and $70/hr wet. So far the availability is pretty good as there are only 20 members and many barely fly.

I truly have ZERO experience with clubs so I could be WAY off base here, but...

-- 30-40 members for two airplanes???
-- buy in and monthly seem reasonable, but $100/hr on

Seems not good

Good luck. I hope it works for you. I joined a club a few months back with 2 172s and it seems to be a pretty decent deal. $77/mo and $70/hr wet. So far the availability is pretty good as there are only 20 members and many barely fly.

Did you have a buy in 'Dog?

I truly have ZERO experience with clubs so I could be WAY off base here, but...

-- 30-40 members for two airplanes???
-- buy in and monthly seem reasonable, but $100/hr on

Seems not good

Nothing else around, and the flight school at the other airport the planes are not really that great. The buy in seems steep, be nice is you could recoup that when you leave. There is a club in Montgomery w/ one 172 and I think that's a share you buy ($5000) of the plane so you can sell that when you leave. Other than that it's rentals at BHM and EET.

Last edited:
Did you have a buy in 'Dog?

Yes but it was a share purchased from an outgoing member ($5000) which can be resold and members desiring to leave do not seem to have any difficulty selling. Currently membership is capped at 20 so I think it is a good deal.

Yes but it was a share purchased from an outgoing member ($5000) which can be resold and members desiring to leave do not seem to have any difficulty selling. Currently membership is capped at 20 so I think it is a good deal.

Yeah that is not a bad deal at all. Montgomery is a little over an hour or else I would have looked into buying a share there.

will they even let "your type" in?

They don't know about POA do they? :confused:

Sent the application and check in. Guess I'll know in a day or three. They'll probably like that check and let me in. Yeah that's the ticket, money.

sweet, congrats? now u can fly to the pig on saturday!

sweet, congrats? now u can fly to the pig on saturday!

I dunno, looks like a cool spot right on the airport where the club is.

http://www.thehangarbarandgrill.com/

720235_68ab88f6d4b34a4293fefd4f6d696e4c.png
a5921c_3c40999a2cb643c292da41ec642c3f06.jpg

Bartender >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Last edited:
Well, two weeks and haven't heard back, sent a couple emails (only method to contact them) and no replies. So sent one today informing them I am withdrawing my application and requested my check back (they hadn't even cashed that!). I was disappointed but sounds like it had an organization and communications problem, so I'm out of this one. Heard from the founder awhile ago and he wrote he'd return my check in the morning. No asking why or anything. Probably a good decision on my part. Oh well back to renting... :(

Mark, the plane at MGM is a fantastic bird, I haven't actually flown it, but I have peeked inside and walked around it. I considered joining, but the math didn't work out for me. I know a couple of the members and they are good people. They were also very responsive. Sorry that deal didn't work out.

Nah no phone numbers Ryan, didn't even go out to the airport. I talked w/ the founder I guess a year or so ago so I was familiar with the planes and club. But that bar n grill isn't part of the flying club so there's that. :cheerswine:

Yeah Mike I was looking forward to flying to flying the Archer in the club. But not responding or even answering emails really just ticked me off. 2 weeks and nothing, and my check hadn't even been deposited. Probably an OK club but it rubbed me the wrong way, and guess I'm not as patient and/or tolerate of being treated like that.

I did correspond w/ someone about the 172 club in MGM Mike. Saw the ad in craigslist. I was a little concerned about that club just having 1 plane. Hard to believe there isn't something w/ more planes in the BHM area. No biggie, I'll just rent for awhile.

Back