John Deere 4105

N5922S

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
N5922S
Well, I bought the 4105 and I've never been so disappointed in anything (except maybe my 3rd wife). My previous tractor -- Kubota L3710 -- was much sturdier, heavier, more pulling and digging power despite having slightly less rated HP. The JD has a flimsy feel and is almost useless for dragging mud out of the creek bottom to keep my dog's swimming hole cleaned out.

Even the buying experience was not pleasant. When I spend that much money, I expect to be treated with respect and appreciation -- didn't happen. What's a mother to do ???:mad2:

I never figured out why a John Deere tractor was so popular, I never liked them. My main issue is they use more fuel than any other brand, same goes for their marine propulsion and generator engines, plus parts costs are ridiculous (God forbid you buy a European model here). I had a 125 horse Case FWA with a Cummins, my BIL had had a 125hp JD FWA. Pulling identical swathers and bailers he used nearly twice the fuel I did doing the exact same work side by side.

I never figured out why a John Deere tractor was so popular.

In my case, it was imprinting. Long before I could read, it became clear to me that tractors were green and yellow: my grandpa had a poppin' Johnny.

Sometimes, fulfilling your bucket list isn't quite as satisfying as you'd imagined. :confused:

In my case, it was imprinting. Long before I could read, it became clear to me that tractors were green and yellow: my grandpa had a poppin' Johnny.

Sometimes, fulfilling your bucket list isn't quite as satisfying as you'd imagined. :confused:
There is a bright spot to this factor, you are not alone in this imprinting, so you can sell that boogermobile pretty easily and get something blue or red. I didn't grow up in agriculture, I married into it, and had already been disappointed and put off JD by that time due to my maritime experience with their product. The most efficient industrial Diesels I have operated in these power ranges have been Cummins on the higher end (190hp-1200hp) and Kubota on the lower end (20hp-425hp). Caterpillars came close, but I never found farm equipment using Cats, and the Westerbekes in Massey Fergusons were also very close as are the old Ford Oscos and Lehmans. Plus all the rest are considerably less expensive on the used market than anything green.

Not commenting on the tractor, but why did you buy from someone who made the buying experience unpleasant? I hear this from customers all the time, they bought it from so and so dealer, but they'd never go back because of the way they were treated. I feel if you're not happy with the way it's going, go somewhere else. ;)
We had JD tractors for years and never had any issues with them, but my dad was always one to buy something a size or two larger than required for the job. :D

Well, I bought the 4105 and I've never been so disappointed in anything (except maybe my 3rd wife). My previous tractor -- Kubota L3710 -- was much sturdier, heavier, more pulling and digging power despite having slightly less rated HP. The JD has a flimsy feel and is almost useless for dragging mud out of the creek bottom to keep my dog's swimming hole cleaned out.

Even the buying experience was not pleasant. When I spend that much money, I expect to be treated with respect and appreciation -- didn't happen. What's a mother to do ???:mad2:

I have a couple of friends with Kubota. They speak very, very highly of them.

As for the dealer issue, no different than a car dealer. When I was last in the market for a truck, it came down to a Nissan, a Toyota, or a Ford F150. When I told the Ford dealer that I was going to use X-Plan and would pay cash, the guy walked away.

The Nissan folks I bought from were great - handled the transaction nearly all online, I spent under 30 minutes at the dealer signing paper & checking out the new wheels. (I had previously shopped another Nissan dealer that was not very helpful, but the one I bought from did it right).

At one dealership for (brand unstated), I heard the GM tell the service manager to not give any priority or extra effort to one customer that had apparently made some constructive criticism comments in a post-service survey. While I'm sure most dealers do that, it made me steer far away from the one where that occurred.

I grew up to that sound and I will never forget it....:)

New Holland here.

I studied tractors before I bought and CNH had the highest hydraulic flow rate and lift capacity at the the three-point.

Very pleased so far. Only squawk is dealerships are not as prevalent as JD.

New Holland here.

I studied tractors before I bought and CNH had the highest hydraulic flow rate and lift capacity at the the three-point.

Very pleased so far. Only squawk is dealerships are not as prevalent as JD.

I always hoped when they merged they would make purple tractors.:lol:

I never understand a salesperson turning away a profitable deal, but he proved his point and you got a truck where they treated you like a customer, that's the way it's supposed to work. :D I'd rather deal with "plan" business as everyone knows the price upfront and it keeps customers from having unrealistic expectations about the price.:D

I have a couple of friends with Kubota. They speak very, very highly of them.

As for the dealer issue, no different than a car dealer. When I was last in the market for a truck, it came down to a Nissan, a Toyota, or a Ford F150. When I told the Ford dealer that I was going to use X-Plan and would pay cash, the guy walked away.

The Nissan folks I bought from were great - handled the transaction nearly all online, I spent under 30 minutes at the dealer signing paper & checking out the new wheels. (I had previously shopped another Nissan dealer that was not very helpful, but the one I bought from did it right).

At one dealership for (brand unstated), I heard the GM tell the service manager to not give any priority or extra effort to one customer that had apparently made some constructive criticism comments in a post-service survey. While I'm sure most dealers do that, it made me steer far away from the one where that occurred.

I never understand a salesperson turning away a profitable deal, but he proved his point and you got a truck where they treated you like a customer, that's the way it's supposed to work. :D I'd rather deal with "plan" business as everyone knows the price upfront and it keeps customers from having unrealistic expectations about the price.:D

Yep, I thought those deals were sweet as. GM gave IIRC "X-Plan" to a bunch of people when I was selling at a new car store. The other salesmen didn't like them because the commissions weren't that good, but they were quick and easy deals, like you said, the numbers are what the numbers are, I just help them pick out the options packages they want and order their new car. Never had one take me more than hour to order. If the customer was an informed one and knew what they wanted, I had 15 minutes on order day, and maybe an hour and a half on delivery day going over the features on their new car, help them set up their stereo preselects and adjusting their shoulder strap height to be most comfortable. I also show them how to adjust their side mirrors to eliminate blind spots. It's not that hard to be a good salesman.:dunno:

I always hoped when they merged they would make purple tractors.:lol:

I wish we still had Dad's old Moline. That was a neat tractor. Kind of art-deco style.

253-Minneapolis-Moline-5-Star-7327-1.jpg

That is a good looking machine. Has a neat shape to it reminiscent of the old 30s coupes at the drag strip.

That is a good looking machine. Has a neat shape to it reminiscent of the old 30s coupes at the drag strip.

Another rare one we had was a Case David Brown tractor I wish we had saved.

These little tractors were powerful for what they were. We pulled a 15' batwing mower with it no problems.

b1f94e09555063.JPG

Another rare one we had was a Case David Brown tractor I wish we had saved.

These little tractors were powerful for what they were. We pulled a 15' batwing mower with it no problems.

b1f94e09555063.JPG

:rofl: You want another one? I think my ex MIL will sell you hers, it may be the same one, they used it on a highway mowing contract in TX towing the mower you describe.

:rofl: You want another one? I think my ex MIL will sell you hers, it may be the same one, they used it on a highway mowing contract in TX towing the mower you describe.

I need another machine like another ex-wife. :nonod:

I counted up the other day what we have.

14 total cars and trucks, four tractors, three riding lawnmowers, one skywagon, two bicycles and a Mopar. I have two old cadillac's out in a barn in West Texas.

You have a frowny Challenger, is that why you took that picture from that angle? :lol:

You all should know...."Nothing runs like a Deere"

If you buy into it.....you figure this out as a fact(sadly)....and realize...the marketing department was right on.:D

Unfortunately Komatsu doesn't produce anything for your needs.

Last edited:
I wish we still had Dad's old Moline. That was a neat tractor. Kind of art-deco style.
253-Minneapolis-Moline-5-Star-7327-1.jpg

I learned to drive tractor on a Minnie Mo that looked very similar to this one... I think I was 10 years old.

I use a JD 5205 here at home on my ranch. Works like a champ!
Deere is by far the dominate brand out here in W Texas.

9932710df61e3507e75bbba6db5bc5b7.jpg

Here's mine. She's treated me well but you guys are right about green parts costing too much :(

Good looking bunch of farm hands there... Are they all wanting to drive for you?

I tried to buy a used tractor twice from a local deere dealer. First time they pretty much blew me off on the phone, wouldn't even try to haggle or discuss anything.

Almost a year later I saw the same machine listed in their "closeout lot" for $2k less.... I called them again and again met with the same attitude and they wouldn't even bother to call me back on a question I was asking about it.

It was like they didn't even want to sell the tractor, they'd rather have it sent to auction than take 2 minutes of their time to make a deal on it. I have no idea how a business operates like that.

Ended up buying a new Mahindra. Had it for over a year now, so far it has served me well. I use it for a variety of stuff- moving round bales, cleaning out the horse pasture, tilling the garden, running a snowblower, and just general stuff it's handy to have a loader for. I was a little nervous about buying an off-brand but so far no problems. I'm pretty happy with it.

Growing up, learned also that tractors were green and yellow. One set of grandparents had a smaller one for their place. Friends who lived on farms were all JD. Worked for a very large farm for a few summers when I was in high school and they were all JD. I had for a few years a 195? John Deere model B that was a lot of fun to tinker with and use around the first house I bought. Now living in NW Indiana, JD is certainly the dominant brand seen all over the place, and 7 of my immediate neighbors all have JD lawnmowers.

Good looking bunch of farm hands there... Are they all wanting to drive for you?

That picture was taken a few years ago so they are about old enough to take her for a spin.

There's a JD 6602 parked out along Hwy 195 a little north of Pullman. I hate to say it, but I remember when that farmer bought it - 1973 - while I was driving truck for him during harvest. For those who don't know, the 6602 is a self leveling combine used in those parts for wheat, dried peas and lentils. Most of the equipment I've seen in that neck of the woods is green, too.

Back