Joby gets 135 cert

Silvaire

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Silvaire
At first glance I found this surprising until I read the story. This is for operations with conventional aircraft, not their eVTOL flying taxi. As all of this moves forward I'm beginning to wonder - where are they going to get the pilots from?

Joby receives Part 135 certification by FAA

Getting a new Part 135 certification is an accomplishment, but nothing out of the ordinary. Getting type certification for the eVTOL, then getting 135 authorization for its use, is going to be the major hurdle. It is hard enough and takes many years to get a type certificate for even a conventional aircraft, I can't imagine the hoops for something outside of the box. And Experimental category won't cut it for 135 operations.

I would hazard a guess that they know that as well. Getting the Part 135 is window dressing for investors who don't understand what it means and doesn't mean, and think that the aircraft is "approved". I wonder if they're considering naming this new aircraft "Raptor"?

This is for operations with conventional aircraft,
I wonder what type of 135 certificate they obtained and what aircraft they used. Got to have exclusive use of at least one aircraft to get the cert. Be interesting to read their OpSpecs.

And then there's this....

https://www.aviationtoday.com/2022/05/26/powered-lift-faa/

Good luck. I'm still not convinced the market exists for such a product beyond the initial newness if it ever comes to fruition. Not when you've spent billions collectively getting to that point. But maybe it's because I despise being in a city where you're quite literally living on top of people so I wouldn't understand the need.

I wonder what type of 135 certificate they obtained and what aircraft they used. Got to have exclusive use of at least one aircraft to get the cert. Be interesting to read their OpSpecs.
Well, seeing as there's a Cirrus in the picture I'd say that's a good guess.

SR22s are the selected aircraft

My guess is that a ride in an SR22 is gonna cost you a tad more than an Uber so not quite to "flying taxi" status yet.

Back