Job Interview Tomorrow!!

My grandpa told a story about cutting wood up the north shore near Grand Marais one winter. They built a fire and warmed up the saws and themselves. When they got out in the woods, they couldn't keep the saws running. After packing up and coming back to town, they saw the thermometer was well below its lowest mark of -40°F ...
Nah, it doesn't get cold in Minnesota.

Re: Two Words WIND CHILL!!

SkyHog said:
But will I get shot or lose my job to a Mexican?
Or robbed (lost 3 car stereos in as many years)
Or witness a robbery (have seen or just missed 5 gas station robberies in 3 years)
Or carjacked (attempted last year)
Or find that EVERY single woman already has a kid that is only a few years younger than the mother?

I doubt it. Bring on the corn.
Dude, that's an Albuquerque thing. I swear every person I've met from there has complained about the same things.

Phoenix has similar weather (hotter in the summer but less inclement weather) and a HUGE amount of tech work available. Send me a resume and I'll make some calls. No guarantees but I've been in the business for a while around here and know quite a few people.

Having moved from the Great White North of Michigan seven years ago, I can honestly tell you: being cold and in snow is HIGHLY overrated. Plus your VFR weather is pretty much gone to less than 1/2 what you're used to today.

gkainz said:
My grandpa told a story about cutting wood up the north shore near Grand Marais one winter. They built a fire and warmed up the saws and themselves. When they got out in the woods, they couldn't keep the saws running. After packing up and coming back to town, they saw the thermometer was well below its lowest mark of -40°F ...
Nah, it doesn't get cold in Minnesota.

Grand Marais is WAAY north..it makes quite a difference.
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=en&saddr=st+paul,+mn&daddr=grand+marais,+mn&ie=UTF8&om=1

I hope the interview went well .. but why in the world would anyone
want to move from where it's warm to where it's THAT cold?

Brian Austin said:
Dude, that's an Albuquerque thing. I swear every person I've met from there has complained about the same things.

Phoenix has similar weather (hotter in the summer but less inclement weather) and a HUGE amount of tech work available. Send me a resume and I'll make some calls. No guarantees but I've been in the business for a while around here and know quite a few people.

Having moved from the Great White North of Michigan seven years ago, I can honestly tell you: being cold and in snow is HIGHLY overrated. Plus your VFR weather is pretty much gone to less than 1/2 what you're used to today.

How's the search for those 2 serial killers going??:hairraise:

greg

SkyHog said:
But will I get shot or lose my job to a Mexican?
Or robbed (lost 3 car stereos in as many years)
Or witness a robbery (have seen or just missed 5 gas station robberies in 3 years)
Or carjacked (attempted last year)
Or find that EVERY single woman already has a kid that is only a few years younger than the mother?

I doubt it. Bring on the corn.

Yes to all of those things. The Midwest is not perfect and there are lots of hispanics here. More than you would think.

Well depends on what part of the midwest you are from I guess. I have never worried much about any of those. For the job Nick is working on, I dont think he needs to worry too much about losing it to a Mexican. Most in my hometown work factory/construction type jobs, and Im glad they do!

I've had a car radio stolen while I was in Minneapolis, but other than that I've never been robbed, a witness to anything, or carjacked. Oh, wait, I live in small town Iowa. Yes, we have Mexicans, but they are at the meat packing plants, not likely to take my job.

river_rat said:
How's the search for those 2 serial killers going??:hairraise:

greg
Beats me. I don't pay attention to the news anymore. Life is full of chances. I'm not walking down the street in fear of getting shot any more than I'm flying an airplane waiting for it to drop out of the sky.

Woohoo!! Nailed it! She said it will take approx 3 weeks for HR to finalize everything, but she seemed very sure that everything went the way it should.

Who knows...I may be in Minnesota in a month.

Congratulations; that'll give you enough time to find and pack the heat lamp. (Humoring, I am)

HR

...tearful farewell for Juliet...

JOOC, Nick, is there any particular reason you sought the job in MN, as opposed (for example) to another place or another company?

SCCutler said:
...tearful farewell for Juliet...

JOOC, Nick, is there any particular reason you sought the job in MN, as opposed (for example) to another place or another company?
Availability. That is it. Oh - and comparable cost of living.

SkyHog said:
Availability. That is it. Oh - and comparable cost of living.

Where else did you look?

SCCutler said:
Where else did you look?

Philadelphia, New Hampshire (again), Florida, Colorado, and California.

Of all of the above, only California had a position I qualified for available, but Cost of Living is unbelievable.

My supervisor has been a real ***** for the last 3 weeks...I dunno why, but I really don't want to deal with it anymore though. That is just another reason to leave (I have a long list already)

Nick, just for grins, but have you asked what Piper thinks? I mean, he's gonna' be ticked at you for taking him from hot to cold. He'll have to grow a longer coat and, naturally, he'll want to crap on your carpet for that.

I think at that latitude you might suffer from sinus block, especially when you make fast descents into the southern states.

Whatever happens, don't let them jerk your schedule for the next two weeks.:)

Richard said:
Whatever happens, don't let them jerk your schedule for the next two weeks.:)

You have no idea what kind of crap I've put up with this week, Richard. They scheduled me for mandatory overtime on the 5th. I sent an email telling them to stuff it, and we've been going around in circles about it for a while now. I finally got them to let me move it back a week, but not before I ****ed off everyone associated with my schedule.

I was curious how it seems that everytime I plan some vacation or trip, I wind up with mandatory overtime. Then I realized its because we ALWAYS have mandatory overtime.

How NOT to ace an interview...

Oppenheimer Manager: "So, what makes you interested in Oppenheimer?"
Me: "It's just another contract. You have database problems and I can fix them."
OM (looking at me strangely) "This is a permanent employee position."
Me (thinking Oh Crap!): "Really? When did that change?"
OM: "Last week."
Me (trying to think quickly) "Oh! Ok, well, the last three leads I've found have been for companies in the financial industry, and ironically, my portfolio manager just rolled all my funds to the Oppenheimer Agressive portfolio. It must be fate for me to be here!"
... and things went downhill from there. One dba interviewer wanted to go 10 rounds of "Stump the dummy", pulling out questions on things that I have never heard of (and I've been eyeballs deep in Oracle for almost 20 years).

SkyHog said:
Woohoo!! Nailed it! She said it will take approx 3 weeks for HR to finalize everything, but she seemed very sure that everything went the way it should.

Well at least that way you'd get here before winter sets in so it can sneak up on you instead of arriving in the middle of a blizzard.

Like I said before, let me know when you are coming and we'll do an aerial tour to get your bearings.

lancefisher said:
Well at least that way you'd get here before winter sets in so it can sneak up on you instead of arriving in the middle of a blizzard.

Like I said before, let me know when you are coming and we'll do an aerial tour to get your bearings.

Will do! Thanks for the offer!

Congrats Nick!
Don't let people's snide remarks about the cold get to ya! I predict you'll LOVE it in MN. I'm a Californian but found that the midwest can grow on you in ways you never saw coming. Also, dogs LOVE the snow.
Just remember, when flying VFR, be careful not to rely on lakes as landmarks. Cuz there are, like, 10,000 of them... :)

--Kath

smigaldi said:
And worst of all, three words, GREEN BAY PACKERS :vomit:
;)

Good luck...er....ahhh.....CONGRATS! on round two Nick !! That Packer thing....(pay no attention to Scott :D ).... it's the best reason to go!! GO PACK GO !!

Last edited:
kath said:
Congrats Nick!
Don't let people's snide remarks about the cold get to ya! I predict you'll LOVE it in MN. I'm a Californian but found that the midwest can grow on you in ways you never saw coming. Also, dogs LOVE the snow.
Just remember, when flying VFR, be careful not to rely on lakes as landmarks. Cuz there are, like, 10,000 of them... :)

--Kath

And in the winter they are white just like everything else:rofl:

woohoo nick!
I think Jesse/Lance are coming to Ames sept. 15/16ish to fly gliders, if you are up there you should come with.

SkyHog said:

Good on ya Nick,
I live East of St. Paul and I know you will like it here!
And don't worry, the 101 deg temps we had today will feel just like home:yes:
Lots of airports here and flat landing strips as far as the eye can see (especially in the winter when the 15K lakes are frozen).
We can take you ice fishing, snowmobiling, etc this winter.
You can even fly on skis!:hairraise:
Eric
________
STEAMING

Last edited:
Back