JetBlue Near Miss With GA Plane

Must have been a slow news day at CNN. The dramatization of the story is just amazing. They covered all the basis, even included a child into the story. Those scary little planes.
Dave

Think of the millions of cars are out there driving around under VIsual driving rules - they don't have to tell anybody where they are going. We badly need them under traffic control so no more accidents happen. Think of the children.

They all could have been dead right now. Another reminder why I dont watch cnn or msnbc. wow

Now I'm new (Hello) but surely the website headline "The FAA is investigating an incident involving a JetBlue flight that nearly missed colliding with a small airplane while in flight." contains all the right words but not in the right order.

Incidentally, where can I get an AOA indicator to avoid this kind of situation?

Why is the clip on MSN and I can't seem to find it on CNN?

Why is the clip on MSN and I can't seem to find it on CNN?
I was curious about that too. I first saw this on ATCmemes and thought it was a joke, but there was no reference to light chop or not being able to see the wands, so not sure.

Now how the **** can a passenger hear the collision warning from the cockpit? Wasn't even a warning. They probably don't even know what it does and sounds like. Love the drama, "shocking" look on that female newscaster's face.

Last edited:
I have been saying it wrong for years. Old French. Reporter says, "Upon descension..."

See if ATC notices next flight. N123XX, starting descension...

That takes the cake for most I've seen. Getting stepped on during a transmission is now the audible alarm for the "collision warning system." That drama oriented passenger described the so-called event, like that airbus rolled like an Extra in the aerobatic box, gimme a break! Stories like this are the reason why the general public is so fearful of flying and another reason why I hate CNN. :mad2:

Last edited:
Now how the **** can a passenger hear the collision warning from the cockpit? Love the drama "shocking" look on that female newscaster face.

They said the "little plane" dove, so they may have heard this from the little plane as it flew by...

Or maybe the little plane's pilot and passengers screaming.

It all sounded perfectly normal to me. ATC pointed out the traffic, the pilot responded, the Collision alert worked as advertised. The only thing strange was the breathless and unbelievable presentation by the "news" anchors.

It all sounded perfectly normal to me. ATC pointed out the traffic, the pilot responded, the Collision alert worked as advertised. The only thing strange was the breathless and unbelievable presentation by the "news" anchors.

What collision alert? There was the sound of two people trying to transmit on frequency at the same time, but no collision alert.

That 'collision alert' was radio traffic covering other radio traffic! Oh brother!!

Shocking that this 'near collision' occurred and no one did anything wrong!! Are you kidding me!? My 5 year old was TRAUMATIZED by my wife seeing another airplane in the sky! We're SUING JetBlue and that other plane, when we find out who it was of course, for emotional trauma!

Sarcasm alert!

Last edited:
Aside from the 'OMG WE'RE ALL GOING TO DIE BECAUSE SMALL AIRPLANES AND A ROUTINE SOUND THAT CNN THINKS IS AN ALARM THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!" aspect to this story, was there actually a loss of separation?

I think the real question is, what was the reading on the AoA indicator's for either plane when they missed each other?

Because, you know..that's the MOST important thing...

I had a near miss this morning with a Southwest Airlines plane.

I was sitting at my desk reading the news and eating my oatmeal, when I looked out the window and saw the SA plane flying over at around FL30-33. I thought to myself.... wow, that was too close. I could hear people screaming for their lives, which sounded similar to birds singing. I could even hear the engines roaring, which sounded very close to the garbage truck picking up the trash...:frown2:

(sorry, musta been reading CNN again...)

I was sitting at my desk reading the news and eating my oatmeal, when I looked out the window and saw the SA plane flying over at around FL30-33. I thought to myself.... wow, that was too close. I could hear people screaming for their lives, which sounded similar to birds singing. I could even hear the engines roaring, which sounded very close to the garbage truck picking up the trash...:frown2:

chemtrails...

Sue 'em for invading your peace and quiet, and no doubt dropping chemtrails on you.

Yeah, and people wonder how the media lost its credibility.

Proof again CNN just makes **** up for news.

That "beep" doesn't remotely sound like any TCAS warning I've ever heard.

It sounds more like a blocked radio transmission.

This just makes me want to puke. So many problems. "In sight," not "Inside." The "alarm" was clearly a blocked radio call. The planes never got closer than one or two miles from each other.

Journalism in this country is pathetic. Absolutely no credibility whatsoever.

This just makes me want to puke. So many problems. "In sight," not "Inside." The "alarm" was clearly a blocked radio call. The planes never got closer than one or two miles from each other.

Journalism in this country is pathetic. Absolutely no credibility whatsoever.
Fear sells, and all sides partake in this technique.

"This morning, we have new audio of those terrrrrrifying moments inside the cockpit. listen..." Funny stuff.

The person who transcribed the ATC transmissions almost got them all right... in sight, not inside. maintain visual, not maintain distance.

They even brought a CNN national reporter Nick Valencia. Wow, some kind of story!

Wouldn't have happened if they were both on flight plans squawking their transponder with their black boxes and ACARS while on the tarmac.

Oh the humanity!!

Has Scary Mary checked in yet?

Holy hyperbole Batman! CNN just learned about a little something called "visual flight rules" and "see and avoid". Apparently there are small planes flying around without first asking permission from ATC! The horror! How can this be allowed? Think of the children! :rolleyes:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/video...ear-miss-with-plane/vi-AA8OwRK?refvid=AA8FNNL
LMAO, the "transcript": ATC- "For 94 via traffic" "We got them inside 94 Deborah" "Deborah 94 maintain distance"

"The long beep was the alarm" How long has Princess been a pilot?

"Decension" How long have you been speaking English, "Nick"?

Well if Rick Germano, with his 5-year old daughter, wants to see "changes made so that it never happens to anyone else" we better get right on it!

No wonder Trump kicked them out of the press room!

Back