Jeeps

The usual result of that parking job is the black tire heats up in the sunshine, melts down into the snowbank, and when you come out of the place late enough that the temp has fallen, you're close to being high-centered and the tire is "buried" in the drift.

A Jeep with proper lockers can get out usually, without digging. Most other 4WD mom and the kids SUVs will need to find a buddy with a tow-strap to yank them out of the hole. The Jeeps with vacuum actuated lockers can find those so cold they won't pull in, once that wheel has sat down in the snow hole for a while, though.

Sometimes both front and rear will sink on big snowbanks. Then everything needs a tow strap. Or tackle and a winch, if you're the DIY sort. ;)

I see your point. That wasn't security's point, however. And, where yours is valid, their's was not.

Now, if I only had lockers on mine. :D

I see your point. That wasn't security's point, however. And, where yours is valid, their's was not.

Now, if I only had lockers on mine. :D

Heh heh. Ask me how I know. ;)

I was the guy with the tow strap. Friend at work came in looking sheepish one sunny winter's day, and to no one's surprise, I said, "Of course I have a tow strap, I drive a 4x4 in Colorado, don't I?"

Problem is, there's so many idiots moving here from out-of-State, I'm getting picky about who I'll pull out of the ditch. That's not how we grew up here, but there's too many of them now.

As a kid around here, folks just did it, and everyone was generally prepared in the winter or at least sorry they had left their winter bag at home.

Nowadays, they look at you like you're some sort of magician if you have a bag with jumper cables, a tow strap, a blanket, and other sundry winter survival items in your trunk/hatch. And seem to think they shouldn't be equally prepared. It might require three whole brain cells and $30 to outfit the bag and an old wool blanket that pulls double-duty to keep dog fur off the interior.

I've been nice lately and done it a few times when someone looks panic'ed or they're way outside of town, especially if I see kids on board. But it's becoming a bit of a mental burden to rescue stupid people you see exit the road doing 70 MPH in the snow. If they get out and look able to walk to the gas station, I want badly to just keep driving... Let Darwin sort it out. Maybe another 70 MPH'er will flatten them a quarter mile up...

The friend was fairly new to Colorado from Massachusetts and hadn't really thought through our sunny days after a big snow yet. He grew up with that goop that doesn't melt. ;)

He was learning, and after appropriate grief, he outfitted his Jeep with appropriate winter gear.

He then ran around pulling people out of ditches the next big storm, just for fun. He cracked me up. Like a kid figuring out how fun something was.

We're seriously thinking about moving further out of town. The big hold-back is being further from the airport and airplane. Too many idiots here now.

I drove up to Andover, MN Saturday and bought a Jeep CJ5. The steering is shot, it looks like the main seal is too. I drove it all the way home at 45 mph with my wife following in the pickup. Gas gauge and temp gauge don't work. It has hardly any rust. It is a project and it will keep me busy all fall, winter, and spring. It probably won't be done even by then.

Attachments

• 77 cj5 1.jpg
    77 cj5 1.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 18
nice jeep

try crown automotive for inexpensive parts - they sell to dealers only but there is a list of them on their page

I drove up to Andover, MN Saturday and bought a Jeep CJ5. The steering is shot, it looks like the main seal is too. I drove it all the way home at 45 mph with my wife following in the pickup. Gas gauge and temp gauge don't work. It has hardly any rust. It is a project and it will keep me busy all fall, winter, and spring. It probably won't be done even by then.

Nice! Looks like fun! Does that have the 308 in it?

Are you going to try to refurb back to 'original', or just go with what YOU want?

Sounds to me like you've got lots of fun planned for the winter. I'll bet it runs better than new by the time you get finished with it. From what I've read that CJ5 should be great off road with its short wheelbase.

Nice! Looks like fun! Does that have the 308 in it?

Are you going to try to refurb back to 'original', or just go with what YOU want?
258 six cylinder. I am going to get the steering and suspension all cleaned up and working right. Then I'm going to go after the engine, transmission, and transfer case, in that order. I am going to leave the body just as it is. In fact, as long as it is solid and it isn't rusting it is fine. I don't want it to look new, but I want it to drive like it is new. If I start getting rust issues in a couple of years I might start in on the body. I do not want to get a fortune wrapped up in it. This is going to be a ram around jeep that I drive to keep the miles off the truck. I probably won't drive it any farther than the next town over. The top is only a couple of years old, so it has a lot of life left. Tires are new and the rims look very good. The engine actually runs pretty good. The clutch is crap. I will probably do a little detail work in the passenger compartment. The knobs are all missing and some of the dash lights don't work. It came with replacement dash lights. I need to get the temp gauge and the gas gauge working. So that is my plan.:)

Last edited:
Sounds to me like you've got lots of fun planned for the winter. I'll bet it runs better than new by the time you get finished with it. From what I've read that CJ5 should be great off road with its short wheelbase.
Lets hope it runs better.

258 six cylinder. I am going to get the steering and suspension all cleaned up and working right. Then I'm going to go after the engine, transmission, and transfer case, in that order. I am going to leave the body just as it is. In fact, as long as it is solid and it isn't rusting it is fine. I don't want it to look new, but I want it to drive like it is new. If I start getting rust issues in a couple of years I might start in on the body. I do not want to get a fortune wrapped up in it. This is going to be a ram around jeep that I drive to keep the miles off the truck. I probably won't drive it any farther than the next town over. The top is only a couple of years old, so it has a lot of life left. Tires are new and the rims look very good. The engine actually runs pretty good. The clutch is crap. I will probably do a little detail work in the passenger compartment. The knobs are all missing and some of the dash lights don't work. It came with replacement dash lights. I need to get the temp gauge and the gas gauge working. So that is my plan.:)

Yah, sure. Just remember, JEEP stands for Just Empty Every Pocket. :D

258 six cylinder. I am going to get the steering and suspension all cleaned up and working right. Then I'm going to go after the engine, transmission, and transfer case, in that order.

I don't think the CJ-5's had the Carter Carb with the emissions crap added to the back, but if it does, google "Nutter Bypass" to eliminate the computer.

Another cheap fix is the Team Rush Upgrade - swapping the distributor cap for a bigger one to reduce or eliminate spark jumping between terminals, along with some other goodies.

I don't think the CJ-5's had the Carter Carb with the emissions crap added to the back, but if it does, google "Nutter Bypass" to eliminate the computer.

Another cheap fix is the Team Rush Upgrade - swapping the distributor cap for a bigger one to reduce or eliminate spark jumping between terminals, along with some other goodies.

+1 on the above! Nutter Bypass and the Team Rush Upgrade are two of the best things you can do to an old jeep....

Love CJ's. Nice score.

Yah, sure. Just remember, JEEP stands for Just Empty Every Pocket. :D
I was quite aware of that going into this project. The guy who sold it to me said that he had put as much money as he cared to into it, and was losing money by selling it. I figure that is where I'm headed as well. It is a project, not an investment.

No computer hooked to the carb. No nothing. Just a fuel line and a linkage. It does have some sort of after market electronic ignition. I haven't gotten to check it out too closely. I'm working on steering to start out with, one thing at a time. But it starts and runs well. I was going to overhaul the engine right away, but I've put that farther down the list now. After the steering and suspension I need to replace the clutch and as long as I have that out, I should probably replace the seal.

Naaa

did you determine why the engine is burning oil? does it smoke any?

could be as simple as pulling the head and getting a valve job done.

By the way don't forget my earlier suggestion of crown automotive. I used to be a dealer for them and they always had the best prices. And when you buy a kit, like a clutch kit or even an entire engine rebuild kit, they come with everything. I bought an entire steering assembly ( MOPAR drag link, tie rod, all factory tie rod ends) for $120.

If you are going to be buying a bunch of stuff I highly suggest setting up a sole proprietorship business (I did this in NC for a grand total of $14), getting a tax ID etc.. and opening an account with crown automotive. They don't need any references - just your business tax ID and a credit card on file (of course, you need to keep up with the taxes but it is not hard) There are no minimum order quantities or anything like that.

http://www.crownautomotive.net/category/AMC-258-Engine-Parts.html

Last edited:
I'm regrettably selling mine to try to raise capital for an airplane purchase.

DSC_0025.jpg

Naaa

did you determine why the engine is burning oil? does it smoke any?

could be as simple as pulling the head and getting a valve job done.

By the way don't forget my earlier suggestion of crown automotive. I used to be a dealer for them and they always had the best prices. And when you buy a kit, like a clutch kit or even an entire engine rebuild kit, they come with everything. I bought an entire steering assembly ( MOPAR drag link, tie rod, all factory tie rod ends) for $120.

If you are going to be buying a bunch of stuff I highly suggest setting up a sole proprietorship business (I did this in NC for a grand total of $14), getting a tax ID etc.. and opening an account with crown automotive. They don't need any references - just your business tax ID and a credit card on file (of course, you need to keep up with the taxes but it is not hard) There are no minimum order quantities or anything like that.

http://www.crownautomotive.net/category/AMC-258-Engine-Parts.html
I don't think that it is burning oil at all, I think that it is throwing it out of the rear main seal. I think that it is throwing it up into the clutch, and that it ruining the clutch.

I'm regrettably selling mine to try to raise capital for an airplane purchase.

DSC_0025.jpg
That is a very nice looking jeep. Too bad you don't live closer to me and I didn't see it last week. You won't have any trouble selling that. What year is it?

That is a very nice looking jeep. Too bad you don't live closer to me and I didn't see it last week. You won't have any trouble selling that. What year is it?

Thanks. It's an '86 with 65,000 original miles. All stock with a few exceceptions like the YJ half doors, Bestop soft top, etc. Kills me to sell it but I don't drive it much and I'm really eager to get off of the rental line so I need the funds.

Had it on ebay with a Buy It Now of $11k but had to end the listing early because of a family emergency. Will regroup and probably relist in the fall.

That's probably near the new price for that Jeep. My 87 was $12,825, with the only options being a hard top & doors, center console, and 6 cylinder engine.

That's probably near the new price for that Jeep. My 87 was $12,825, with the only options being a hard top & doors, center console, and 6 cylinder engine.

Sounds about right for the original sticker prices. This was the last year of the AMC production and values are going up because fewer and fewer of them are surviving. They didn't start galvanizing until Chrysler took over in '87 so most CJs that were on the road have simply rotted away.

Mine sat for 7 years before I bought it, which explains the low mileage and rust-free frame and tub. A very similar Jeep just sold on ebay for $13k so I think I had it priced fairly. In any event, I had to pull the For Sale sign to focus on some more pressing issues.

Sounds about right for the original sticker prices. This was the last year of the AMC production and values are going up because fewer and fewer of them are surviving. They didn't start galvanizing until Chrysler took over in '87 so most CJs that were on the road have simply rotted away.

They started galvanizing in 87, but before Chrysler took over. I bought my 87 YJ in August of 86, before Chrysler took over (and started offering a 7/70 warranty - where mine from AMC was 1/12)

I'd go for the CJ-7 and if I was going to do a bunch of highway miles I'd have a set of BF Goodrich All Terrain T/As on it.

All Terrain T/A KO. The newer version. Non-KO is the older version and for some reason, still available. Definitely don't last as long.

I think I'm going back to those. Had them on the Jeep, and they were great. On a light vehicle like the Jeep, they lasted bloody forever. Had those upsized to 30" non-metrics.

I then put BFG Long Trails on the Yukon. They held up ok, but I miss the traction in snow. And they're very flat, tread-wise as they wore down. No side-load grip right now at all in precip. Fine dry.

I also made the mistake of going with P rated ones. They love to flex in corners under a fat SUV. I know better. LT tires on a big SUV. That was dumb.

Only bummer... It's going to run just under an AMU to put new sneakers on the truck this fall/soon. LT 265 70R17 is a chubby piece o' rubber!

Was considering putting E rated on it too, but that might be overkill. I'm not towing anything like I used to in the Jeep. One store in Parker has E's... in stock. Hmm.

I don't think BFG are the end-all be-all tire, but they're a decent compromise for mixed on/off-road all-weather work. And they don't die too awful quickly when used on-road a lot. I'd put a nice set of Michelins on her if I was going to stay in town.

We've been poking at the idea of getting out of cowtown a ways to the East. Find us a nice house with a dirt driveway away from the idiots but just barely close enough in to commute. Still thinking about that. Horse property grows nice antenna farms. ;)

Karen's been naughty and didn't rotate hers. She needs a pair o' Yokohamas too. It's gonna be tires for everybody for my birthday this year! Ha. ;)

Still kinda miss the XJ. Gave it to my little sister when she was in a pinch. Then someone hit and totaled it while it was parked somewhere in Brooklyn. Heh. Poor thing.

The problem I found with all the E rated tires on my truck was that the tread would separate long before it wore out except for one pair of Dayton's I had, they were the only ones that didn't blow out before wearing out. That was on a Dodge Diesel that I typical had a good load on, but not near rating. Typically I'd go 20,000 before a blowout.

I hear ya. Some "commercial" tires seem to do that too.

Bit the bullet. Work tossed us out the door early for the holiday (I always forget they usually do that...) so after a bite of lunch with a friend and Karen who also had busted loose, over at Perfect Landing at the airport (the blue crab roll, for being about as far from an ocean as we can get, was excellent... such good food there for an airport restaurant...), I realized I could get the truck in before the holiday weekend madhouse. Tire places suck when they're busy.

So, new BFG All-Terrain KO's going on as I type this. Decided against the E's. And my wallet is whimpering slightly in my back pocket. I'll apologize to it later. ;) They had a $100 rebate on which made their price match the best I could find online. Also asked them to rebuild the stupid TPMS sensor guts.

Sitting here watching the lone airplane in the pattern at KAPA enjoying the wind that came up out of the South. Not a very square pattern. Ha.

So here is the topic of controversy for y'all... White letters out, or black wall? (I'll save my answer for after the feeding frenzy. Haha.)

It may not be a Jeep, but it's got redneck tires now! (The dirty wheels are a project for this weekend. Holy crap the truck is dirty!)

aee88288-4f1b-e884.jpg

All the better to stamp out abominations such as this...

aee88288-4f3c-a0e4.jpg

Back