Jeeps

Maxmosbey

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
I need to get serious.
I need to get out of SZ, it is driving me crazy. So with a little nudging from my wife I decided to take the winter off from working. I need something to do however. So I've decided to find a Jeep CJ5 or CJ7, 1974-1979 and restore it. I've been driving all over Iowa, Missouri, and this next weekend Minnesota, looking at Jeeps. I'm pretty good with engines, transmissions, and suspensions, but not so good on the body work. So I have been looking for something with a fairly decent body. I have found a few that have already been restored, and they come at a pretty reasonable price considering how much their owners have in them. Probably cheaper than I could even restore one myself. But if I do that I'm back to SZ for the winter. Most of them that I have looked at are rust buckets however. I have learned where to look for rust on a CJ jeep though. Body mounts. Most of the jeeps that I have looked at are barely attached to the chassis. I looked at one on Sunday that had more bondo in it than metal. The other thing is that I want something that is stock. I don't want a bunch of lift and huge tires. I want a straight six with a three speed transmission. I don't want to go fast, climb rocks at Moab, or anything like that. I just want a CJ5 or CJ7 like they came off the lot in the seventies. Anyway, I'm just sitting here wanting to talk about Jeeps, and so I just did.

Last edited:
knock yourself out:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/

great site. I have a Jeep wrangler, and love it. Mine however is new, but I do love the old ones.
Thanks. Back in the early eighties I had a mid seventies CJ5. It is one of the few motor vehicles that I have had and wish that I still did. That is why I want to restore one now.

I have/had a 2000 Sahara Wrangler, but my son now drives it now. Technically it is still in my name (for insurance reasons). It killed me to give it up. I bought it new and it only had 25,000 miles on it (two years ago), when I handed it over. :(

I need to get out of SZ, it is driving me crazy.
That is probably a good idea, but don't stay away too long. We will miss you. Maybe you can come back after the election and see how things are going then. And tell us about your jeep adventures.

As for jeeps, back in 1970 I bought an old 50's era Willys. Rather than use bondo, I just ground the rust down and painted it with primer and an Epoxy based paint. It was one of the first "air conditioned" jeeps ever. I never had so much fun in a car. That really was a vehicle where if you broke down you could fix almost anything on it with duct tape.

The first time my wife and I went out we went four wheeling in that old Jeep. She was not impressed. Probably got a lot more points taking her to lunch afterwards than I did taking her for a ride in the boonies.

As for jeeps, back in 1970 I bought an old 50's era Willys.
Oh, one of the late model ones. :)

Back when I was in high school, I owned a '46, and then a '51. Probably had something to do with my dad's name being, "Willys." :)

Here's a picture of me with my '51:

jeep.jpg

The machine gun is a dummy I built from wood and pipe. Geeze, you try that nowadays....

Ron Wanttaja

"my" first car was a 92 Wrangler, still miss it and intend to buy it from my dad if it ever goes up for sale.

Just sent a 99 Wrangler I bought off of the street to Copart Auction. It was wrecked, but if someone here wanted to fix it, $2500 would hav purchased it with a Texas clean title.

A good source in Ft. Worth for CJ and Wrangler parts is Real Jeep Parts. They are an automotive recycler like me, but specialize in Jeep only. Their website is offline, but you can reach them by calling (817) 921-1874.

I can also help source parts for these. I have a limited stock, but can always broker a deal through my network. Mechanical items will have your choice of 3, 2, or 1 year warranty.

I need to get out of SZ, it is driving me crazy.

Just checking... So you revert to your safe past hobbies when things get tough because current failing polices you supported all your life. Got it. ;)

Happy trails. :D

Don't be a stranger in the SZ, we will miss you. :yes:

The CJ series was knows for its rust. I owned a 78 CJ back in 1985, and the floor was gone. I replaced it with the brand new 1987 Wrangler that's still in my driveway. I don't know why, but the Wrangler never rusted much, although the carb is junk. I replaced that 9 times. I finally replaced it with a 1983 carb that doesn't have the metering pins (automatically adjusts the fuel mixture - but never works right). There's also the problem with the idle tubes that clog up. It takes a little maintenance to keep it running right, but after 25 years, I've finally figured it out.

I believe the carb setup is the same on the 86 CJ as on the 87 YJ (Wrangler).

The jeepforum is great and will pretty much answer any of your questions.

Attachments

• jeep.jpg
    jeep.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 11
The CJ series was knows for its rust. I owned a 78 CJ back in 1985, and the floor was gone. I replaced it with the brand new 1987 Wrangler that's still in my driveway. I don't know why, but the Wrangler never rusted much, although the carb is junk. I replaced that 9 times. I finally replaced it with a 1983 carb that doesn't have the metering pins (automatically adjusts the fuel mixture - but never works right). There's also the problem with the idle tubes that clog up. It takes a little maintenance to keep it running right, but after 25 years, I've finally figured it out.

I believe the carb setup is the same on the 86 CJ as on the 87 YJ (Wrangler).

The jeepforum is great and will pretty much answer any of your questions.
Jeep was owned by AMC in the 70s, and the Matadors were the first cars to get 30 mpg. They were running a 232 inline 6cyl. A lot of CJ5s and CJ7s from that same era were running the same engine and getting 15 mpg. It would be fun to figure out the differences and try to get a little better gas mileage out of the jeep. They had a different carburetor, but I'm petty sure that probably isn't the only thing. Just one of the many things I hope to keep me busy during the winter.

I am going to sell mine. It's still worth a good amount (2008 Sierra Unlimited with low miles), and all I do with it is drive to the airport to rent a plane.

I am going to sell it, buy something crappy, and use the money as a down payment on an aircraft :)

I work from home and my wife has a car we usually take, so the Jeep just sits there most of the time.

I am going to sell mine. It's still worth a good amount (2008 Sierra Unlimited with low miles), and all I do with it is drive to the airport to rent a plane.

I am going to sell it, buy something crappy, and use the money as a down payment on an aircraft :)

I work from home and my wife has a car we usually take, so the Jeep just sits there most of the time.
I have wanted to do this for a while. Years ago I hauled a 1949 Chevy PU home and went to work on it. We were young, had two kids, and we didn't have any money. It sat in the driveway for several years before someone came by and bought it from me. Right now I have a little more money and time. My wife has been a little reluctant for me to drag home another piece of junk. Especially if it sits out, as our neighborhood now is not a place where you leave your junk cars out. However I have retired twice and gone back to work, and my wife wants me to quit having a schedule to keep, so she has been pushing lately for me to get a jeep and fix it up instead of going to work. Right now she has a Pontiac Solstice and I have a Chevy Silverado PU. I love the PU, but it is a Quad Cab and it is a boat to drive around town. When I get finished in the spring I hope that I'll have something to run errands in, and I can let the Silverado sit unless I need to haul the camper or pick up furniture.

Jeep was owned by AMC in the 70s, and the Matadors were the first cars to get 30 mpg. They were running a 232 inline 6cyl. A lot of CJ5s and CJ7s from that same era were running the same engine and getting 15 mpg. It would be fun to figure out the differences and try to get a little better gas mileage out of the jeep. They had a different carburetor, but I'm petty sure that probably isn't the only thing. Just one of the many things I hope to keep me busy during the winter.

Mine is a 258, which I believe is/was a modification of the 232. Right now, I'm getting around 15mpg, but I've had it as high as 20mpg, running leaned out and on the highway. I suspect a lot of the difference is the absolute lack of aerodynamics of my 'air plow'.

When I run mine that lean, it doesn't idle nicely. I don't do any highway driving with it anymore, so if I tweak it, I can probably bump it up to 17mpg. For the extra $3 it's costing me to drive 100 miles per week, I'll take the driveability over economy.

How did the Pacer do for MPG?

BTW, AMC sold to Chrysler right after I bought mine in 86.

By the time you are done, you will be good with the body work too. :wink2:
Maybe, but I've been talking to a guy who owns a body shop a mile from my house, and he might end up doing most of the body work. The thing is that I just found a CJ7 on Craigslist that has had all the body work done, is repainted, and the guy said that the engine has high miles on it and that it is burning oil. I may have found my Jeep. I have three or four to look at on Saturday, and this will be one of them.

Mine is a 258, which I believe is/was a modification of the 232. Right now, I'm getting around 15mpg, but I've had it as high as 20mpg, running leaned out and on the highway. I suspect a lot of the difference is the absolute lack of aerodynamics of my 'air plow'.

When I run mine that lean, it doesn't idle nicely. I don't do any highway driving with it anymore, so if I tweak it, I can probably bump it up to 17mpg. For the extra $3 it's costing me to drive 100 miles per week, I'll take the driveability over economy.

How did the Pacer do for MPG?

BTW, AMC sold to Chrysler right after I bought mine in 86.
I think that the 258 is just a stroked 232. I'm not sure of that, but I think it is. I don't know how the Pacer did for mileage. I'm just reading stuff on the internet, so I might not even know what I think I know, which is how it is with me most of the time.:)

Check out ia4x4.com. Good group of guys there. I used to 'wheel' with them in my 2003 TJ when I was in Iowa. Tell them what you're looking for - make sure you tell them you don't want a 'wheeler' - and they'll keep their eyes out for you.

I've got a '95 Wrangler YJ, 2.4l, 5spd hardtop, 168k miles - was my daily driver before Mari twisted my arm to upgrade :) - sitting in the back yard making sad faces at me as I ponder "some day I would like to" knowing that I have way more project ideas than I really have time to get to.

I know you said CJ, but .... ?

Hood clearcoat is shot, one rust spot starting behind rear fender flare (2-3" circle) and generally in good shape ...

I would be looking at a CJ7 over a CJ5. A bit longer wheel base makes it a much stabler platform. That being said I have never personally heard of a CJ5 flipping over when doing basic highway or simple off road driving.

I have also been logging for a CJ but have pretty much given up hope of finding one that isn't totally rusted out or more bondo than metal.

People really hack these things up to. I looked at one a few weeks ago that supposedly only needed the exhaust hooked up. One look under the hood and you could clearly see there was no way anyone would ever get an exhaust header to fit. The owner installed a GM 6 cylinder, moved the engine mounts (which were gorilla welds at best) and left the engine mounted in a way that clearly didn't allow for a manifold. I have also seen funky shifter mounts for non-stock transmissions, all sorts of weird lift kits, and of course crazy looking dashes.

Not trying to be negative. I can deal with all those things. I would love it actually but like the OP, the body work is what scares me off from these things. So for now I will still with my 1999 TJ. My wife thinks one Jeep in the family is enough anyway.

I bought one already done.

Attachments

• Jeepie.jpg
    Jeepie.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 15
If you want to find lots of good older 4x4s that aren't rusted to the 9th circle of Hell, you'll need to look some place with mountains and no road salt. Colorado has tons of these things.

FWIW, Jeeps run a lot better with even very simple fuel injection. Which will put you a few (but not many) years newer than you're looking. What that buys you is instant altitude adaptation, among a few other things. The optimal mixture wants to be a bit different moving slowly at high RPM on a rough trail than it does on the interstate. Unlike aircraft, CJs don't come equipped with red knobs. :( And fuel injection works hugely better when off camber or overtopping a steep obstacle, as it doesn't depend upon gravity to function.

Yep, Colorado is a great place to go for Jeeps. Many if not most are built rigs and used off road in the mountains for wheeling. I had my 03 TJ Jeep Wrangler when I lived in Colorado and really enjoyed the trails in the mountains and saw a lot of CJ's, YJ's, and TJ's out there. Didn't see rust either although I'm sure it happens, just a lot slower, and a lot less than some other places.

At one time, I really had a hankering for a Land Rover D90 Defender, but they stopped importing them several years ago as they didn't meet the DOT requirements anymore so prices for used ones have gone through the roof

I'd settle for a nice CJ-7. I drove the Custer Airport manager's CJ-7 all over Custer State Park, the Black Hills and Mt. Rushmore as he lent it to me for the day. It was a blast. I should have tried to buy it from him as it was totally stock, and original. I'll have to let Greg give me the nickel tour of Custer some day when I move back to CO. :)

1999 TJ Sport for me. 13 years old, 181,000 miles and still going strong. I took it on a couple Jeep Jamborees in northern Idaho when it was new and the fuel injection was a great improvement over the carburated Jeeps. They'd be losing power around 7000 feet and mine just kept going.

I took the attached picture a number of years ago showing a reserved Jeep parking place at work in Oregon. Security didn't like it, thought it might tip over as the snow melted. Let's see, one side already on pavement, not going to get any lower. As the snow melts it will get closer to level, rather than increase the angle. Am I missing something?

Attachments

• Jeep at JF5.jpg
    Jeep at JF5.jpg
    618.9 KB · Views: 21
If you're looking for a fun project from the 70's, don't forget about the early Broncos! 66-77 lots of them still running around a few, very few without rust.:mad2: I am restoring a 74, but it's much cheaper to find one already done and buy it, kind of like an airplane. :D

1999 TJ Sport for me. 13 years old, 181,000 miles and still going strong. I took it on a couple Jeep Jamborees in northern Idaho when it was new and the fuel injection was a great improvement over the carburated Jeeps. They'd be losing power around 7000 feet and mine just kept going.

I took the attached picture a number of years ago showing a reserved Jeep parking place at work in Oregon. Security didn't like it, thought it might tip over as the snow melted. Let's see, one side already on pavement, not going to get any lower. As the snow melts it will get closer to level, rather than increase the angle. Am I missing something?

I used to do that in the parking lot at ISU. They would plow all the snow from the top parking deck over to the corner and over the winter, it would consume 2-3 parking spaces. I always took that to mean that I had a reserved spot just for me and my TJ. :D

Other than my old Harleys, here's my Jeep that the kids and I play around in. '85 CJ, "Spring Over" lift with 35s.

2012-06-26_18-27-10_531.jpg

If I ever were to jut buy one to build I'd go with a CJ8, always liked them.

If I ever were to jut buy one to build I'd go with a CJ8, always liked them.

Couple guys around town restored / up graded the old yota Land rovers, they look great.

One has a big block ???? but he did a 4 wheel burn the other day that was awesome.

The usual result of that parking job is the black tire heats up in the sunshine, melts down into the snowbank, and when you come out of the place late enough that the temp has fallen, you're close to being high-centered and the tire is "buried" in the drift.

A Jeep with proper lockers can get out usually, without digging. Most other 4WD mom and the kids SUVs will need to find a buddy with a tow-strap to yank them out of the hole. The Jeeps with vacuum actuated lockers can find those so cold they won't pull in, once that wheel has sat down in the snow hole for a while, though.

Sometimes both front and rear will sink on big snowbanks. Then everything needs a tow strap. Or tackle and a winch, if you're the DIY sort. ;)

Back