Jacobs-powered pickup

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
How does he prevent cylinder hydraulic lock before each start-up?

Judging by the number of things that aren't hooked up, I'm guessing that he doesn't... yet.

With the fins perpendicular to the airflow, it seems he hasn't even thought through cooling.

Better to start with a bigger engine and chop off any inconvenient cylinders.

I think there is about 300 cu in still remaining here.

Flying-Millyard.jpg

I really like the one that saw at Airventure a few years back. Lots and lots of rivets… and a big ol’ radial mounted vertically like God intended.

Judging by the number of things that aren't hooked up, I'm guessing that he doesn't... yet.

With the fins perpendicular to the airflow, it seems he hasn't even thought through cooling.
To extend this comment regarding thinking it through - I’m not sure if hydraulic lock is a problem with this mounting orientation. Of course, I’m not sure how the oil system will work at all in this mounting orientation.

The article was about a SEMA show 10 years ago. Has anything been done with the truck since? Many of the builds for SEMA are just pure show cars to catch attention and can’t actually be driven.

It won't lock in that position.

Plymouth-Air-Radial-Truck-110.jpg

jrlgirl.jpg

Not an issue in most cases outside of a conventional vertical installation. Some examples below of other radial installs that worked well with no hyd lock issues.
Without full cylinder baffles and a fan it wouldn't last long either...

1715259026968.png

1715259057581.png

Back