Jack Daniels Distillery and Beech Staggerwing Museum fly-in

Checking NOTAM's would be a really good idea. One of the runways is closed. :(

Not that it should matter for this trip, but that also means the instrument approaches for that runway are closed too (another NOTAM).

THA used to have three paved runways. One of them has been closed for a while from the look of it. Now it's down to one paved runway. There is also a turf runway.

Here are the NOTAM's for THA from the FAA web site: https://pilotweb.nas.faa.gov/geo/geoQuery.html

THA TULLAHOMA RGNL ARPT/WM NORTHERN FIELD
!FDC 6/7185 THA FI/T TULLAHOMA REGIONAL AIRPORT/WM NORTHERN FIELD, TULLAHOMA, TN. RNAV GPS) RWY 6, ORIG... RNAV (GPS) RWY 24, ORIG... VOR RWY 6, ORIG... VOR RWY 24, ORIG... PROCEDURE NA.
!BNA 07/097 THA 6/24 CLSD

Wayne, I'm still plannng on 2. What is the idea for transport to JD; are we renting vans or?

Things are looking more like I can make this happen.

I need to blow out some flight money on the books and wanted to do it with some night flight. Can anyone suggest a field with a restaurant that would be available that night? HSV, BHM, TYS, BNA or some place? Basically, I'm looking for ideas that would be about 150-200 miles roughly 270-360 from KGVL (North Atlanta area).

Wayne, I'm still plannng on 2. What is the idea for transport to JD; are we renting vans or?

Yes, renting a van and probably using the courtesy car too. If everyone shows up we'll have 15+ people. The "courtesy car" is a minivan, but that would take three trips without another vehicle. I need to call today to get the rental cost; Jim said he'd send me that info on Monday, but it hasn't arrived.

Split 15 ways it should not be much.

Jack Daniels? Its not even Bourbon, why go there? Come up to Versailles, Kentucky and we'll go on the Woodford Reserve tour. Official Bourbon of the Kentucky Derby! And its real Bourbon, not "sour mash". Please............

Plus they give you a sample of the Bourbon at the end of the tour! Take that JD!

:D

I'm 2 hours from the Bourbon trail now... by car. I can spit on MGY from my house... sounds like we need to get a Bourbon-in going!

See if you can find some Black Maple Hill. They buy up "found" stock from the Bonded houses and bottle it. I have a bottle of 23 year old rye I've been working through for 4 months that is out of sight.

Cheers,

-Andrew

Kenny, you might check out Rough River Resort, 2I3. Good restaurant short walk from the field. It's 134n north of THA and 238n from GVL.
Ron

I am officially a no go. Prop won't be back on till mid next week:mad: All club planes are booked too!

Things are looking more like I can make this happen.

I need to blow out some flight money on the books and wanted to do it with some night flight. Can anyone suggest a field with a restaurant that would be available that night? HSV, BHM, TYS, BNA or some place? Basically, I'm looking for ideas that would be about 150-200 miles roughly 270-360 from KGVL (North Atlanta area).

Kenny, here's an option with a hotel and resturant adjacent to the strip. We fly in here most Saturday mornings for breakfast. Keep in mind it is a strip and a strip only, no tie downs, no fuel, no folks.

http://www.airnav.com/airport/M93

Or, you can fly into KJWN, my home drome, and crash at the house. I'll even fire up the grill for some ribeyes.

http://www.airnav.com/airport/kjwn

I'm real sorry for the late notice, but I'm out as well. I've gotta work so I can fly....so, I'll be working Sat. Maybe someday I can meet up with some of you from Georgia for a food stop. I'm always in for a new place.

Kenny, you might check out Rough River Resort, 2I3. Good restaurant short walk from the field. It's 134n north of THA and 238n from GVL.
Ron

I'll second that. I was just up there this morning for breakfast. It's one of my favorite places to go. Maybe the next place for some of us to meet up at?

I'm real sorry for the late notice, but I'm out as well. I've gotta work so I can fly....so, I'll be working Sat. Maybe someday I can meet up with some of you from Georgia for a food stop. I'm always in for a new place.

Sorry you can't make it. Thanks for letting us know ahead of time.

The best laid plans of mice and men. I'm afraid we will also be unable to make it. My nephew and friends showed up last night instead of the 26th. Surprise! Oh well haven't seen them in a while so guess we will try to make the next one. Enjoy your day.
Ron

Well I'm still going. And bringing my partner in the airplane.

Hope ya'll had a good trip and let me know about the museum for those who went. I'm so close I have no excuse for not going yet.:no:

It was a good day... but for being left at the airport! :eek:

Actually, I was delayed because someone decided to take my plane for a discovery ride before I got there. I was not thrilled about that. Then, somebody upstairs saw fit to bring a headwind along with a high moving south. Do we really need that to happen? Can't air masses move without causing a headwind??? Goodgriefgollygeewhiz!

Of course, on the way back it was a quartering tailwind becoming a crosswind. :goofy: But, I love flying at night. There was barely a layer visible some 10k above me so I had some awesome stars above to enjoy when the lights below weren't around to interfere.

One bit of advice... be very careful of taking a taxi ride in Tullahoma. :hairraise: It was dang close to the rides I got in Naples where drivers took short cuts through train tunnels.

It was nice meeting everyone up there. Wayne, thanks for the organization! :cheerswine:

Yes. The only group shot we got was taken by the tour and won't be up on the web site for a while. It ran a bit longer and lunch took some time, so we didn't get a group shot at the airport. I have a few pics flying there and of the distillery. I'll see about getting them together.

Many thanks to Wayne for organizing this. I had a great time. As a chemical engineer and a loooong time Jack Daniels drinker, I found the tour very interesting and a lot of fun. How else would have found out that you can buy a single barrel of JD (~53 gallons or 250 fifths) for around $10,000?
It was a CAVU day, perfect temperatures and good conversation with other POAers.
I look forward for the next "excuse" to fly somewhere.

Back