Jack Daniels Distillery and Beech Staggerwing Museum fly-in

wayne

Pattern Altitude
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
wayne
We're getting together for a tour of the Jack Daniel's Distillery and Beech Staggerwing museum. Looks like the date is Saturday, September 15th. The fly-in airport is Tullahoma, TN (THA).

The FBO at Tullahoma has a seven passenger minivan as their crew car. In an email conversation they offered that up to go to Lynchburg. They also mentioned that we could rent a larger van, from a local rental agency, if needed.

Lynchburg is about 12 miles from the Tullahoma airport. At the Tullahoma airport is the Beech Staggerwing Museum.

Can you join us?

As I recall, due to local law, you can't taste the Old No. 7 while there, so one need not worry about flying after drinking, although I understand you can get an excellent glass of lemonade after the JD factory tour.

As I recall, due to local law, you can't taste the Old No. 7 while there, so one need not worry about flying after drinking, although I understand you can get an excellent glass of lemonade after the JD factory tour.

As I understand it, they can't sell you the Old No. 7, but they CAN sell you 'commemorative' bottles and if they happen to have a little brown stuff sloshing around, well, that's just a coincidence. ;)

Oddly enough, the distillery is in a dry county (Moore). One cannot purchase nor sell libations in said county (with some exceptions).

I'll try to make it to Tullahoma, it's only about a 30 minute flight from JWN.

However, I must admit that I'm a George Dickle connoisseur (just down the road). :)

Last edited:
This is true, especially about the lemonade, although they sell commemorative bottles at the company store. They had to get special permission to do this because it is had been a dry county since prohibition. I would recommend this tour as I took it less than a month ago. :)

This is true, especially about the lemonade, although they sell commemorative bottles at the company store. They had to get special permission to do this because it is had been a dry county since prohibition. I would recommend this tour as I took it less than a month ago. :)
So, you've only been back on the wagon for a few weeks? :D

Jack Daniels? Its not even Bourbon, why go there? Come up to Versailles, Kentucky and we'll go on the Woodford Reserve tour. Official Bourbon of the Kentucky Derby! And its real Bourbon, not "sour mash". Please............

Plus they give you a sample of the Bourbon at the end of the tour! Take that JD!

:D

Last edited:
I'm more of a Scotch man as opposed to Bourbon myself... y'all will have to let me know how the fly-in was...

Jack and Staggerwing.....how appropriate

when I first read the title (quickly) I thought it said Jack Daniel's Distillery and Stagger-in.

hahaha

Plus they give you a sample of the Bourbon at the end of the tour! Take that JD!

Wouldn't that violate the 8 hours bottle to throttle when we return home the same day?

When I was in college there was a local bar called the "Stagger Inn"... it was a favorite watering hole amongst the student population.

Jack Daniels? Its not even Bourbon, why go there? Come up to Versailles, Kentucky and we'll go on the Woodford Reserve tour. Official Bourbon of the Kentucky Derby! And its real Bourbon, not "sour mash". Please............

Lately I've been partial to Elijah Craig bourbon, good stuff, 12 years, small batch, not obscenely priced.

Very nice bourbon!

http://www.bardstownbourbonsociety.com/brands_elijahstraight.html

http://www.liquorsnob.com/archives/2006/03/elijah_craig_small_batch_bourb.php

If you go into Tullahoma, you have to stop at Miss Piggy's for barbacue

When I went on the Jack Daniel's tour, they bused us afterwards to a state park in the nearby county and served as much BBQ and JD as you could ask for.

I remember most of it.

Let me know about what time everyone will be arriving. THA is a pretty short hop for me, and my wife has been wanting to take a trip there for a little while. Sounds like our time to make the trip.

Let me know about what time everyone will be arriving. THA is a pretty short hop for me, and my wife has been wanting to take a trip there for a little while. Sounds like our time to make the trip.

We haven't set a time, but it will probably be on the early side (for some people) as it's Central Time and many of us are departing from Eastern Time locations.

It's about a hour flight for me (172RG from KRYY), a little more for those further east in Georgia. There are others in TN that thinking of going.

I'm still working on the headcount so we can have the right amount of ground transportation. I've seen plenty of jokes, and "that sounds fun", but only a few "I'm going!" messages.

I'm going. How about that! Plan on me and one passenger TBD.

I'm making plans for it. Hopefully, nothing shall interfere short of death or an appointment to the US Supreme Court. :)

Jack Daniels and Stagger in the same sentence..... na, can't be :D

We haven't set a time, but it will probably be on the early side (for some people) as it's Central Time and many of us are departing from Eastern Time locations.

It's about a hour flight for me (172RG from KRYY), a little more for those further east in Georgia. There are others in TN that thinking of going.

I'm still working on the headcount so we can have the right amount of ground transportation. I've seen plenty of jokes, and "that sounds fun", but only a few "I'm going!" messages.

I'm sorry I can't give you an answer set in stone. Work is screwed up, so we will have to wait to see how that goes. If I do come, my party will be just two. I will let you know as soon as I can.

Here's who I have so far (usernames from multiple boards).

Code:
[B]username    name    number    plane[/B]
wayne        Wayne     1    N172KA
finsjb                 ?    
Lance F      Lance     2    N57039
KennyFlys    Kenny     1    
horsefeather           1    
Brian_TII    Brian     1    
cindi        Cindy     1

We're on for September 15. Just need to get a confirmation and number of people for ground transportation.

And we need to set a time. Tullahoma is in the Central Time Zone. Is leaving the THA airport at 10:30 am (CDT) / 1530Z too early? That would be 11:30 am for those of us in Georgia and east TN. That would give us time to get to the distillery and grab lunch on the way back. Those that want to stay could then tour the Beech / Staggerwing museum. Others could head on home.

Here's who I have so far (usernames from multiple boards).

Code:
[B]username    name    number    plane[/B]
wayne        Wayne     1    N172KA
finsjb                 ?    
Lance F      Lance     2    N57039
KennyFlys    Kenny     1    
horsefeather           1    
Brian_TII    Brian     1    
cindi        Cindy     1    
Kevin47881  Kevin      2     N5189S

We're on for September 15. Just need to get a confirmation and number of people for ground transportation.

And we need to set a time. Tullahoma is in the Central Time Zone. Is leaving the THA airport at 10:30 am (CDT) / 1530Z too early? That would be 11:30 am for those of us in Georgia and east TN. That would give us time to get to the distillery and grab lunch on the way back. Those that want to stay could then tour the Beech / Staggerwing museum. Others could head on home.

I'll plan on coming and use the stop as part of my 250 nm long x-c.

I haven't been to the distillery in quite a few years. I want to go but I am having the prop resealed next week which should take a week. I can't say yes till the prop is back on.

I haven't been to the distillery in quite a few years. I want to go but I am having the prop resealed next week which should take a week. I can't say yes till the prop is back on.
What is resealing a prop? And why is it more important than seeing great bourbon being made?

Right now I'm solo for going to THA to this fly in. Anybody in my general area want to share some Mooney stick time (and gas :D )? Give me a shout.

Right now I'm solo for going to THA to this fly in. Anybody in my general area want to share some Mooney stick time (and gas :D )? Give me a shout.
I've got some money to burn up on account at my old school. Otherwise, I'd take you up on it.

If there is room for an additional 2 people for the Jack Daniels tour we would like to join you. Thanks.

Ron N4526T

Here's the update as of earlier this morning.

Code:
[B]username         name    number  plane[/B]
wayne            Wayne      1    N172KA
finsjb                      ?    
Lance F          Lance      1    N57039
KennyFlys        Kenny      1    
horsefeather                1    
Brian_TII        Brian      3    N380ME
cindi            Cindy      0 
Corsair Ace      Lee        3  
Ron              Ron        2   N4526T

Please let me know about any updates on who's coming. Right now the weekend forecast looks good, but I'm not sold on forecasts four days out.

Tullahoma is in the Central Time Zone. The plan is to leave the Tullahoma airport at 10:30 am (CDT) / 1530Z. That would be 11:30 am for those of us in Georgia and east TN. That would give us time to get to the distillery and grab lunch on the way back. Those that want to stay could then tour the Beech / Staggerwing museum. Others could head on home.

Here's the update as of earlier this morning.

Code:
[B]username         name    number  plane[/B]
wayne            Wayne      1    N172KA
finsjb                      ?    
Lance F          Lance      1    N57039
KennyFlys        Kenny      1    
horsefeather                1    
Brian_TII        Brian      3    N380ME
cindi            Cindy      0 
Corsair Ace      Lee        3  
Ron              Ron        2   N4526T  
kevin47881       Kevin      2    N5189S

Please let me know about any updates on who's coming. Right now the weekend forecast looks good, but I'm not sold on forecasts four days out.

Tullahoma is in the Central Time Zone. The plan is to leave the Tullahoma airport at 10:30 am (CDT) / 1530Z. That would be 11:30 am for those of us in Georgia and east TN. That would give us time to get to the distillery and grab lunch on the way back. Those that want to stay could then tour the Beech / Staggerwing museum. Others could head on home.

As this is going to be the first stop on my long IFR X-C we plan on just meeting up with all of you at the airport but probably won't take the tour. That is of course unless the II wants to go off the clock for a couple hours :)

The prop was just pulled yesterday instead of last week.:mad: Shop thinks it will be ready Friday so my decision will be last minute.:fcross:

Because of this thread I had two Jack and cokes coming back from Japan. I have been drinking a lot of high end scotch lately. A few people I work with in standards have a Monday evening "Scotch club" meeting. Requirement to enter is a bottle and anything under $200 is considered swill. But I had forgotten how much I really like Jack! A very good blended whiskey. You guys have fun. I will be flying to Malaga Spain via Stockholm

The prop was just pulled yesterday instead of last week.:mad: Shop thinks it will be ready Friday so my decision will be last minute.:fcross:
That's cutting it way too close! Hope to see you there.

Back