J3 in a Crosswind

Shepherd

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Shepherd
Had the J3-85 out on Tuesday, and rolled snake eyes with the weather forecast. Instead of decreasing to 2 mph, the wind speed kept increasing to around 10 mph and gusting to "eve of destruction", 90 degrees across the runway. Some pretty wild turbulence on the approach over the trees.
I lived to fly another day.

The camera perspective on that is great.

I put your video on "Full Screen" and found myself tilting and moving in my chair like I was the pilot. Great job, cool vid!

Nice job, I wouldn't haved like that in my tricycle gear airplane....

Were you super scared?!?

Were you super scared?!?

Weird thing.
In the plane, even back when people were shooting at me, I never really got nervous. Instead I get super focused. As in nothing else in the universe exists.
After I get the plane parked, I have been known to have to sit for awhile until things stop shaking.
There is one caveat, and it's a dilly.
I am the WORST airline passenger in the history of aviation. This dates back to when I was still pushing big iron around the skies.
On takeoff I have been known to grab the seat tray in front of me, pulling back as hard as I can, as I yell "Rotate! Rotate! You stupid son of a mothereffing retard, ROTATE!"
Obviously the pilot and I have different opinions on when the plane is ready to fly.
It would really scare the crap out of the cabin staff.
For some reason, I was always fine when landing.
That's why I no longer EVER fly commercial.

Weird thing.
In the plane, even back when people were shooting at me, I never really got nervous. Instead I get super focused. As in nothing else in the universe exists.
After I get the plane parked, I have been known to have to sit for awhile until things stop shaking.
I am the WORST airline passenger in the history of aviation. This dates back to when I was still pushing big iron around the skies.
On takeoff I have been known to grab the seat tray in front of me, pulling back as hard as I can, as I yell "Rotate! Rotate! You stupid son of a mothereffing retard, ROTATE!"
Obviously the pilot and I have different opinions on when the plane is ready to fly.
100% by choice, no doubt.

Nice video. Cubs are great because they don't keep any secrets. When you get it right, they let you know. And when you get it wrong, they tell you all about it.

I had to watch it twice. That white stuff on the ground made me panic and rush out for milk and toilet paper. ;) Nice landing! Didn't look like you had much trouble with the crosswind.

Had the J3-85 out on Tuesday, and rolled snake eyes with the weather forecast. Instead of decreasing to 2 mph, the wind speed kept increasing to around 10 mph and gusting to "eve of destruction", 90 degrees across the runway. Some pretty wild turbulence on the approach over the trees.
I lived to fly another day.

Sweet Shep! I miss flying a Cubby.

There was a x-wind there?...ain't even hafta put a wing down! :p I love Cubs.

The Cub was happy as a crab. :rofl:

Yep, all the way to touchdown. Some people act like you must always land a tailwheel airplane perfectly straight. They don't like to 3-point drifting or crooked, but many light tailwheel airplanes like Cubs can wheel land just fine in a slight crab without any pedal pumping histrionic corrections at touchdown. At wheel landing speed, the aerodynamic "streamlining" effect of the vertical tail surface behind the mains is greater than the slight CG momentum swing of the tail when touching down in a slight crab. Looks like you put this concept to use just fine!

It is even nicer in my 1940 Piper J4 since the oleo gear is so soft it can kinda squish its way sidewise. :eek:

I need one of those for retirement. I do like the 100HP Legend Cub.

Finally got the Pawnee out of the shop after an engine overhaul. First landing in a taildragger in 3 months, sure enough, the cross wind gets your attention.

Have not flown J-3s since ‘82.

It is even nicer in my 1940 Piper J4 since the oleo gear is so soft it can kinda squish its way sidewise. :eek:
A guy over here has a J4 and a J5, totally restored.
I don't think I've ever seen prettier examples of each of them.
The J4 is especially nice. Next time his hanger is open, I will get a picture and post it.

A guy over here has a J4 and a J5, totally restored.
I don't think I've ever seen prettier examples of each of them.
The J4 is especially nice. Next time his hanger is open, I will get a picture and post it.

Next time his hangar is open you should film a quick episode of Airplane Repo and bring that J-4 to me. ;)

Weird thing.

I wish I didn't have to fly commercial, but places I go don't really leave other options. It nothing to do with being scared and everything to do with the increasingly small space allocated for self loading cargo. A 777 with 10 across seating in cattle car? UA has done that.

I thought there was no such thing as a crosswind in a cub.....just a really short runway or a long one. I've landed a J3, J4, and a Chief across a 150ft runway a few times due to crosswinds....over 15mph. Landed my T-Craft across runway 21 at Roswell due to crosswinds one day. Had to add power to taxi off the runway. All depends on the winds.

Good flyin and nice video.

Frank

Back