It's Time! Anything to prepare for?

Sierra Echo

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Sierra Echo
Hi all,

My first training flight (PPL) is scheduled for Monday. 2.25 hours scheduled with a very well-respected CFI at my club. While I've been working through the medical process, I've been self-studying with the Sporty's kit (videos, FAA Books, etc.) and some other resources, including "The Complete Private Pilot". I haven't finished any of these books or the video series; I'm probably 50% through most of the materials as I tend to jump from one to the other depending on my mood that day.

Is there anything in particular you all think I should study up on before lesson 1? I'm sure my CFI will guide me from there but I won't be in touch with him again until Monday, and forgot to ask him if I should study any particular topics.

Thanks all!

-se

Just read chapter 1 in your Sporty’s book to get familiar with the subjects that will be discussed.

Other than that, it will be a whole new experience for you, so strap in and enjoy the ride!

I know you can't do this by Monday, but I suggest taking the time during your training to read the PHAK and airplane flying handbook, and really read them.

For now though, get some good rest.
Both of you will appreciate it lol.

I retained what he told me, and what I had learned by experiencing the flight much better when properly rested.

Good luck, its a blast!

Cool, thanks for the responses. I'm really excited and want to be sure I do it right. As for the PHAK and AFH - I'm probably about halfway through the PHAK but haven't yet touched the AFH. Any reason I should put down the PHAK for a bit and read AFH for awhile? Or am I good with my current plan of finishing PHAK prior to AFH?

Thanks again!

-se

Nah, no reason I see to drop one for the other. Sounds like you're very motivated...which should make your CFI happy lol.

Okay! I'll try to relax, get some more reading in, and enjoy the day on Monday. Thanks again. I'll let you all know how badly I frightened my CFI once I'm done :D:D:D

If that 2.25 hours entails all flying you are going to be exhausted:)
Have fun and enjoy your training

First flight?

Don't worry about it, just get a feel for flying, your instructor and enjoy.

It's a first flight, don't over think it.

I'd guess much of that time is going to be post flight making a game plan for your training.

I'd wager 30min pre flight talk and intro to him and the plane, 1hr flight, 1hr post flight debrief, game plan for your training, setting you up in the schedule computer etc.

Hi all,

My first training flight (PPL) is scheduled for Monday. 2.25 hours scheduled with a very well-respected CFI at my club. While I've been working through the medical process, I've been self-studying with the Sporty's kit (videos, FAA Books, etc.) and some other resources, including "The Complete Private Pilot". I haven't finished any of these books or the video series; I'm probably 50% through most of the materials as I tend to jump from one to the other depending on my mood that day.

Is there anything in particular you all think I should study up on before lesson 1? I'm sure my CFI will guide me from there but I won't be in touch with him again until Monday, and forgot to ask him if I should study any particular topics.

Thanks all!

-se

I am in your same boat. First slight is mid week next week. I have been reading 3 different books like crazy and can’t get away from my simulator at home. Good luck and have fun. I can’t wait to hear about it!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Good luck enjoy the experience,and have fun.

Sierra Echo and Peter Anderson: Congrats to both on scheduling the first flight. As others have said, just enjoy the experience! It will be all too easy to keep staring at the gauges. Don’t. Look outside to enjoy the view. (In time, you’ll learn to scan them quickly like you scan the dash in your car as you drive.). Have fun!

Hi all,

Thanks all!

-se

You're way ahead of the game on the book stuff. Good for you. Keep it up. It'll take a little bit before your muscle memory kicks in and you fly the airplane smoothly. Don't get frustrated. The fewer days you put between flights, the better.

Read and enjoy your checkbook balance one last time. It's about to get smaller. :D

A good portion of your first lesson will be your CFI showing you how to do a thorough pre-flight of the plane. If you're itching to do a little studying beforehand, read chapter 2 of the Airplane Flying Handbook. If you have a copy of the POH for the aircraft you might also start familiarizing yourself with it.

Otherwise, relax and have fun!

I agree with the sentiment, enjoy the flight. It should be fun and you should have a blast. (if not, talk to the CFI to adjust the lesson)
If you really want to brush up badly, no need to memorize regs, airspaces etc. Basic physics principles help a lot on the first lesson so that you understand what the airplane is doing and how you can make it do other stuff.
Again, enjoy the flying. Don't screw with radios, calls to tower, VORs or cruising altitudes. Have fun climbing, descending, banking, turning, stalling, whatever you find enjoyable.
The point of the first lesson should be to assure yourself that you can feel the airplane and are capable of going all the way, not to intimidate you and dissuade you from further flying.

So yet again: go fly and HAVE FUN!

As I recall my first "lesson", it consisted of straight and level flight, climbs, turns and descents. CFI did the initial take off and landing, then I did an "assisted" take off and landing. He handled all the radio work. During the out brief, he specified what to study for the next lesson. Did you ever wonder why, in aviation speak, we use so many nautical terms? Because an airplane, like a boat, flies in an ocean of air. So, like a boat, Bust Out Another Thousand, also applies to aviation!

Like others have said, since the flight is this Monday, not too much you can do between now and then. You’ve already started your reading. Just chill, get some rest. This is going to be the looooongest weekend everrrr.
Have fun!

I have used the King course videos for my writtens. Although a little boring at times they get all the points across for passing the test. I did one section every night and did the workbook review after watching the video. You can knock the whole thing out in 11/2 weeks and then do a few practice tests and go take the test immediately! Get the written out of the way as early in your training as you can as it will make the rest of the training easier without that hanging over your head. Also if you can fly two or three times a week. The longer you go between lessons the longer it will take to review what you learned on the last lesson.

First lesson, first solo, and checkride are all memorable in their own ways.

What I remember most from the first lesson was I couldn’t stop trying to make taxi turns with the yoke. :rolleyes:

The presolo segment of your training is for getting familiar with flying the plane and learning pertinent information to solo. You don't necessarily have to know much of anything prior to starting since that's what this portion of training is for. You can get a leg up on it, but don't get too carried away because your instructor will give you the correct guidance on what you should be studying. The main thing I personally worried about was learning everything I could about the airplane, and trying to to understand all the systems and internal/external resources available. I was sort of paranoid of having some kind of failure on my first solo, so I wanted to be as sure as possible that I could handle some kind of failure should it occur. But don't let that scare you. Just try to take everything in, make the most of the practice you will be doing with the maneuvers the instructor has you do. Don't assume you know something or you understood your instructor correctly. Ask follow up questions, and really try to understand the concepts as much as possible. I was a stupid 17 y/o kid when I first started training and I just wanted to solo so badly. Looking back now I would have never signed me off to solo if I were instructing me. He will be getting you prepared for solo from day one, so give it your best!

First off - THANK YOU ALL for the excellent and thoughtful responses to my newbie question. There are too many great replies on here to quote and respond to individually, but I have read and taken each to heart. Eman - you were right, this has been the longest weekend of my life, other than MAYBE the weekend before the scheduled delivery of my only child. Maybe.

I'm a bit of a perfectionist, as you may have gleaned from my initial question. Based on your responses, I have: read ch. 2 of the AFH (thanks Half Fast!); Read my checkbook balance one last time (thanks AGAIN Half Fast!);); Reinforced my understanding of the left-turning tendencies of the airplane especially on takeoff, based on the "More Right Rudder!!!" comments; and I'm looking to get good sleep tonight hopefully, ahead of tomorrow's lesson.

I have a recurring, terrifying daydream of myself not being able to taxi properly, because I keep using my yoke instead of the rudder pedals. I have another one that involves launching off the left edge of the runway, because I didn't know how much right rudder to give. Both of these are from reading this board! ;):D:p

I really hope my instructor is as patient and laid back as his reputation indicates. I need him to be, to offset my opposite nature.:cool:

Thanks again. You guys and gals are cool.

-se

First off - THANK YOU ALL for the excellent and thoughtful responses to my newbie question. There are too many great replies on here to quote and respond to individually, but I have read and taken each to heart. Eman - you were right, this has been the longest weekend of my life, other than MAYBE the weekend before the scheduled delivery of my only child. Maybe.

I'm a bit of a perfectionist, as you may have gleaned from my initial question. Based on your responses, I have: read ch. 2 of the AFH (thanks Half Fast!); Read my checkbook balance one last time (thanks AGAIN Half Fast!);); Reinforced my understanding of the left-turning tendencies of the airplane especially on takeoff, based on the "More Right Rudder!!!" comments; and I'm looking to get good sleep tonight hopefully, ahead of tomorrow's lesson.

I have a recurring, terrifying daydream of myself not being able to taxi properly, because I keep using my yoke instead of the rudder pedals. I have another one that involves launching off the left edge of the runway, because I didn't know how much right rudder to give. Both of these are from reading this board! ;):D:p

I really hope my instructor is as patient and laid back as his reputation indicates. I need him to be, to offset my opposite nature.:cool:

Thanks again. You guys and gals are cool.

-se
Don't overthink it.

I have a recurring, terrifying daydream of myself not being able to taxi properly, because I keep using my yoke instead of the rudder pedals. I have another one that involves launching off the left edge of the runway, because I didn't know how much right rudder to give. Both of these are from reading this board! ;):D

I really hope my instructor is as patient and laid back as his reputation indicates. I need him to be, to offset my opposite nature.

Relax. They’ll introduce things one at a time and handle all the other stuff. Just do that one thing at a time.

They’ll talk about it before the flight and then as soon as the engine starts and the noise and vibration start, your brain will be in near total overload with new sensations and experiences on that first flight anyway.

Most people haven’t felt their desk chair launch itself into the air before, and keep going, without falling, with all sorts of noise and commotion, plus radio chatter in their ears. Ha.

First flight is always fun but a tad overwhelming. Unforgettable too. Don’t be too surprised if the instructor handles a LOT of it on the first flight. They’re not trying to take away from your fun or training, they just know you may want a minute to just look around a bit.

“Wait a second. That’s the TOP of the control tower going by! Whoa...” The view outside can be a little distracting. Squirrel!

I have been reading 3 different books like crazy and can’t get away from my simulator at home.

Put the simulator stuffs in well cushioned box on the top shelf of the closet farthest from your daily routine. Don't open that box until you've got your PPL certificate in hand.

There is nothing you can do alone with a home sim to decrease your training time and costs.

Why the rush? lol so much studying coming trust me. You need to do NOTHING for your first flight in my opinion. Just have a good meal and get ready to have your mind blown. By that, I mean you will be digesting an overwhelming amount of information. And don't get too stressed about ATC or talking on the radio. That stuff will happen naturally the more you fly.

Back