It's expensive using the wrong engine lubricant...

That's a pretty dumbass mistake, I'm wondering if it was a cost savings measure.

WTF did they use? Did it say turbine oil on it?

Xc20/50 with a splash of Camguard woulda worked just Fiiiinnnnnneeeeeeee.

Budget cuts and overworked/undersupervised crews, what do you expect to happen.

Beats the 'littoral combat ship' USS Fort Worth. While everything in the computerized 'manless' engine room is automatic, delivery of lube oiil to the gearboxes during a ground-run is not. One startup in port using the wrong sequence and it crunched 23 million worth of gearboxes (+ whatever it costs to tow the thing from Singapore to. San Diego).

This is even more upsetting. We usually had 90% flyable when I was in, 88-93. Sad.

"The replacements come at a time when the Navy says that half its aircraft can't fly because they're awaiting maintenance or lack needed spare parts."

The old T-56-16 used in the early version E2-A,B,C used mil spec 23699 turbine engine oil. the new Alison AE 2100 that is used on the new E2-D&Es might be different, but all other aircraft use the 23699... So ???

"Just use the drums of engine oil out in my truck for our next oil change." said no MO ever. Where did the "wrong oil" come from?

My '04 Ford Explorer had the wrong transmission fluid in it from the factory. There was a recall and additives were added to make the fluid right, when the car was a year or so old. Transmission made it to 2010 before needing to be repaired.

The old T-56-16 used in the early version E2-A,B,C used mil spec 23699 turbine engine oil. the new Alison AE 2100 that is used on the new E2-D&Es might be different, but all other aircraft use the 23699... So ???

23699 is still the standard as far as I am aware. Most turbines I've worked with (primarily commercial aircraft) also allow MIL PRF 7808. It's older than 23699, and about the only desireable thing about it is that it's usable at slightly lower temeratures than 23699. I believe they are allowed to be mixed.

23699 is still the standard as far as I am aware. Most turbines I've worked with (primarily commercial aircraft) also allow MIL PRF 7808. It's older than 23699, and about the only desireable thing about it is that it's usable at slightly lower temeratures than 23699. I believe they are allowed to be mixed.
7808 is what we knew as 1010 oil.

1010 Turbo oil is MIL PRF 6081. It is an unmodified petroleum based oil, while 7808 and 23966 are both synthetics. It cannot be mixed with 7808 or 23699.

I'm sure those engines will be back in service, probably after a rebuild or a full inspection.

I'm sure those engines will be back in service, probably after a rebuild or a full inspection.

The 'cost' for the mishap given at this point is 15% of the value of the engines. They expect it to go down after they had the opportunity to find out that nothing happened to them.

Back