Display Name

Display name:
murphey
Nome Alaska:
36F, 29.79, 36 msl, DA -1286 msl

Denver, CO
-9F, 30.40, 5429 msl, DA 2173 msl

New low temp record in Denver and it's still going down

Did I mention wind chill is forecast -20 to -30 depending where you are in the area?

Last edited:
I go away for a week and come back to the North Pole.

It's 27F right now in Wichita Falls TX. After enduring TX summer heat I kinda like it... except for my house is total electric and I know my next electricity bill is gonna suck since the heating system is running a lot at night.

Getting cold here too....its 54 at almost 10pm.

But Neal, we didn't get the major summer heat like we usually do. At least not as brutal.

But yeah, this is waaay too cold for this part of November. We Texans usually don't see these cold temps until January.

I'm soooo glad I have the Nest Thermostat. So nifty to select a comfy temp via my iPhone before I bug out of the office and it be that way when I walk through the door.

It's a windy 48, with rain, on the island tonight. It feels like -10 did, when we lived in Iowa.

There isn't a soul here -- we have four guests in-house.

I drove by an 80-room hotel down the street at 11 PM, and they didn't have a single car in the lot. Ouch.

This weather sucks.

But Neal, we didn't get the major summer heat like we usually do. At least not as brutal.

But yeah, this is waaay too cold for this part of November. We Texans usually don't see these cold temps until January.

I'm soooo glad I have the Nest Thermostat. So nifty to select a comfy temp via my iPhone before I bug out of the office and it be that way when I walk through the door.

Yeah, this summer was nothing like the brutal blast furnace we endured back in 2012 with more than 100 days continuous of triple digits.

I've been tempted to get a remote controlled smart T-stat too, but just haven't bothered to do it yet... not a big enuff priority yet.

We had our first frost last night, it was 26 when I left for the airport, it was 45 at noon. clear as it can get, and no wind, sock was limp.
tonight forecasted for 35 over night.

It's 89F here today, sunny, light breeze. :D

She said I can't go back to America soon
It's so ******n cold it's gonna snow until June
Yeah, they're freezin' up in Buffalo stuck in their cars
And I'm lyin' here 'neath the sun and the stars.

Manana- Jimmy Buffett

Last edited:
We had our first snow/sleet flurries tonight about 7pm for about 15 minutes :D

Had more about 11:15pm when I made a run to the hangar to update a database on the Bonanza.

It's definitely cold when my dog got half way out the front door and went, "Ummmm....No" and went back to her warm bed.

My A/C was on literally 5 days ago and now the heater is blasting away.

Fall in Texas lasted almost a week.:)

It's 89F here today, sunny, light breeze. :D

Also courtesy of Mr. Buffet:

Twenty degrees and the hockey games on.
Nobody cares; they are way too far gone,
screamin' "Boat drinks," somethin'
to keep them all warm.
This morning I shot six holes in my freezer.
I think I got cabin fever.
Somebody sound the alarm.
I'd like to go where the pace or life's slow.
Could you beam me somewhere, Mister Scott?
Any old place here on Earth or in space.
You pick the century and I'll pick the spot.
I know I should be leaving this climate.
I got a verse but can't rhyme it.
I gotta go where it's warm.

Then again, 30 years in S FL was just about enough for me.

Also courtesy of Mr. Buffet:

Twenty degrees and the hockey games on.
Nobody cares; they are way too far gone,
screamin' "Boat drinks," somethin'
to keep them all warm.
This morning I shot six holes in my freezer.
I think I got cabin fever.
Somebody sound the alarm.
I'd like to go where the pace or life's slow.
Could you beam me somewhere, Mister Scott?
Any old place here on Earth or in space.
You pick the century and I'll pick the spot.
I know I should be leaving this climate.
I got a verse but can't rhyme it.
I gotta go where it's warm.

Then again, 30 years in S FL was just about enough for me

Same here.... Give me 4 seasons, and deep snow and I am a happy boy....

I do draw the line at about -45f though....

Currently -18f and crystal clear...:):):)

High of 81 today. If I can get off work early I'm taking the jet ski out.

14 right now, may reach 30. I think today is the day I break out my winter coat. Got the first predictions of accumulation for Sat/Sun and are looking at 3"-4".

Yeah, this summer was nothing like the brutal blast furnace we endured back in 2012 with more than 100 days continuous of triple digits.

I've been tempted to get a remote controlled smart T-stat too, but just haven't bothered to do it yet... not a big enuff priority yet.

That's what I like about my programmable thermostats. I've put one in everywhere I lived, except the last house--I put in two there, since it had 2 heat pumps. Just make sure to get the heat pump model if you need it, or the regular one if normal heating/cooling.

Life is nice when the house is the right temp when you're home, and a cheap temp when you're gone, and it don't have to remember to change it. Ever.

Mid twenties for the low here this morning. Supposed to have a high of about 35. I'll be out walking the dogs shortly then will spend most of the rest of the day splitting firewood.

I love it!

I'll take this weather over mid-summer any day. I love working outside and I can do it comfortably now. I can't when it's 90dF out.

Yeah, I know, I'm the exception.

(Our place is on the market and we're eying farther north...not south...I just can't stand the heat anymore...)

One more great thing about cold weather is something I learned when I was 14 or so...

When the weather's hot and sticky, that's no time to dip your dickey. But when the frost is on the punkin', now that's the time for dickey dunkin'!
(very wise) author unknown

I kinda like those cold, clear, windless days where you can inhale and feel your snot freeze.

One more great thing about cold weather is something I learned when I was 14 or so...

When the weather's hot and sticky, that's no time to dip your dickey. But when the frost is on the punkin', now that's the time for dickey dunkin'!
(very wise) author unknown

I want this on my tombstone

Gonna dip down in the 70s F today. Its so cold I might consider wearing a shirt today.

I waiting for Spike to show up and sing his rendition of the Great White North theme song.

(running joke between the two of us. I once posted I was the only one who showed up to work when Northern Texas was experiencing a mini ice age. And he called the yard and that's how he announced himself).

Last year we had two days where it was about 15F overnight. On both days the left rear caliper on my car locked up. Overheated and turned my rotor blue. Only sign was a slight vibration over 50mph. Unlocked itself after a few minutes.

It never got that cold again and I never had the issue again. Has anyone else had this problem?

That rotor is warped now and I have a replacement to install. I also plan on flushing the brake lines.

Low 70s today,out flying,cold isn't getting this far south,might get down to 54 overnight.

Last year we had two days where it was about 15F overnight. On both days the left rear caliper on my car locked up. Overheated and turned my rotor blue. Only sign was a slight vibration over 50mph. Unlocked itself after a few minutes.

It never got that cold again and I never had the issue again. Has anyone else had this problem?

That rotor is warped now and I have a replacement to install. I also plan on flushing the brake lines.
Only time I've had an experience with a locked rear caliper/rotor was when the parking brake was used and the car sat in a couple days of rain. The pads stuck to the rotor even though the brake was released. Nice thing about a manual transmission is that it was easy enough to rock it a few times to get it to release - but I was trying to be careful with the clutch. But once it popped free it was OK. Maybe you had some moisture/ice buildup on your caliper that kept it rubbing?

I hate it when I get ice buildup on my caliper. ;)

Drive home from rewiring the server room at work last night at midnight ranged from -6F to -13F in the river bottom near the house.

Diesel started right up at -6F. As long as the batteries aren't weak, the Dodge/Cummins grid heater thing in the intake works amazingly well.

It's a balmy 23F now.

Official low of -2 or -3 for this date in the early 1900s was shattered out at DIA. -13F I believe.

One more year for Al Gore's prediction that the poles will melt to come true.

ee820cd4ff9e930c1508580f0b17e048.jpg

I predict having all this unused cable removed from the patch bay will make my life easier, in 2015.

cold weather = hot chocolate with a shot of Rumpleminze, yum!

Had more about 11:15pm when I made a run to the hangar to update a database on the Bonanza.

It's definitely cold when my dog got half way out the front door and went, "Ummmm....No" and went back to her warm bed.

If you had English Labs, it would be "Ummmm...YESSS!!"

76 degrees in Chandler, AZ now. It will be around freezing when I get into Hillsboro, OR around 6:30 this evening, and then I have a 2:30 drive (in good weather) through predicted snow or freezing rain to get home. It's nice here this time of year, but you can have their summers.

It's 27F right now in Wichita Falls TX. After enduring TX summer heat I kinda like it... except for my house is total electric and I know my next electricity bill is gonna suck since the heating system is running a lot at night.

Considering you're all electric, it'd probably pay for itself in a few months.

Here's my programmable t-stat! ;)

attachment.php

Designed with a blower driven "brick-o-lator" system. It does a pretty good job of heating a 3,500sf house down to about 25dF.

:thumbsup:

Attachments

• IMG_3366small.jpg
    IMG_3366small.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 141
San Francisco looking better with each falling degree, Mari? :)
No kidding! But I was in New Jersey where it was also warmer than Colorado. I was only home for one night, though. We came up to the great white north today (Calgary) where it was a few degrees warmer when we landed than when we took off in Denver. Almost balmy at -11C.

Considering you're all electric, it'd probably pay for itself in a few months.

Here's my programmable t-stat! ;)

attachment.php

Designed with a blower driven "brick-o-lator" system. It does a pretty good job of heating a 3,500sf house down to about 25dF.

:thumbsup:

You're describing the dog??? :confused: :confused:

PS. Nice digs. I say if we can't have the annual gathering at Gaston's we have it at your house!

Back