It's actually snowing...

The good news is the Californians stopped coming in droves when their housing market crashed.

The whole thing was driven by fake money. They'd sell the overpriced $500K shoe box and move here and buy the cardboard tents... ahem, beautiful houses in Highlands Ranch for $350K and pocket the difference, avoiding Capital Gains taxes.

Then they learned they'd need an old beater 4WD for the few days we do get 3 feet of white stuff, a stocked pantry to actually cool from once in a while, the rest of us have real fireplaces/wood stove inserts/generators.

Recently they ran the Douglas County school district broke after Douglas County was once listed as the fastest growing county in the U.S., by continually voting against higher property taxes under our State laws that require taxes be approved by the voters.

Now they bicker about having to pay extra to bus their kids to school while still paying rent-a-cops to patrol their so-called neighborhoods looking for Covenant violators to fine them to pay the management companies and lawyers. (Priorities people. Really.)

The only good news is, most of 'em are contained to Douglas County.

If we would only just put up a "Do you know how to drive in snow/rain/blowing dust checkpoint at the border, we'd be golden. ;)

The low-rider 2WD Denali's are a hoot to watch in the snow.

Glad I didn't live in Highlands Ranch when we lived in the area 30 years ago. And the locals in their 4WD pickups didn't know how to drive in the snow then. My FWD Buick Skylark did fine. Of course, now I drive a Jeep.

Guffaw! :lol:

Actually, we had several really nice beaches in Iowa, just North of town at Lake MacBride. Here's a picture of one of them...

LakeMacBride2.jpg

Unfortunately, they were usable for maybe 6 weeks a year... :rolleyes:
It looks like they still have their winter coats on. Here's what you thought you saw....

Attachments

• womens-beach-lg.jpg
    womens-beach-lg.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 14
The good news is the Californians stopped coming in droves when their housing market crashed.

The whole thing was driven by fake money. They'd sell the overpriced $500K shoe box and move here and buy the cardboard tents... ahem, beautiful houses in Highlands Ranch for $350K and pocket the difference, avoiding Capital Gains taxes.

Then they learned they'd need an old beater 4WD for the few days we do get 3 feet of white stuff, a stocked pantry to actually cool from once in a while, the rest of us have real fireplaces/wood stove inserts/generators.

Recently they ran the Douglas County school district broke after Douglas County was once listed as the fastest growing county in the U.S., by continually voting against higher property taxes under our State laws that require taxes be approved by the voters.

I lived in Douglas County, but not in HR. Yes, the California style cul-de-sac communities, are like an endless maze in HR. I liked the convenience of being near the I-25 interchange close to KAPA.

Nate, do you live in the city of Denver? I looked at homes in Wash Park, and the Highlands section (not HR) and almost moved there, but then was focused more on the southern burbs and ended up there. Parker and Castle Rock were BOOMING when I was there.

Yeah, the big joke was all the Californians leaving CA due to high costs, regulations, and taxes, then trying to turn CO into CA with the same crap. That's why there are so many "CO Native" bumper stickers.

Last edited:
I am driving a new bird. New to me anyways. It's an amazing machine. Even if it is 20 something years old.

I just started a new bird as well. It's a neat machine, and I love the built-in noisemakers.

Thats just teasing us..... I'd like to know details, especially if it was the flight yesterday :eek:

Our formerly Lear-driving friend I suspect is driving something significantly cooler. ;)

This still has propellers. And yes, yesterday was my first flight in it. No, it's not mine, and never will be. Just flying it.

I'm guessing King Air, or some other turboprop.

Commander 690A. Burns too much fuel for my wallet, so I'm flying it using someone else's. ;)

Nate, do you live in the city of Denver? I looked at homes in Wash Park, and the Highlands section (not HR) and almost moved there, but then was focused more on the southern burbs and ended up there. Parker and Castle Rock were BOOMING when I was there.

Nope. Taxes are outrageous in the true City & County. I'm in Arapahoe County, in an older neighborhood near I-25 and Arapahoe.

Yeah, the big joke was all the Californians leaving CA due to high costs, regulations, and taxes, then trying to turn CO into CA with the same crap. That's why there are so many "CO Native" bumper stickers.

Both the "migration" and the reaction from the locals has slowed. Most of the reason we're a "purple" State is probably from the "needy" out-of-staters moving here in the 90's though... oh well...

They'll toughen up sooner or later... most of them enjoy going to the shooting range... once they find out what a shooting range is. ;) ;) ;)

Good man. Plus you don't have to deal with the AWB in Denver City/County.

Denver, Pueblo, and GJ is not representative of the entire state. Get away from them and you're in America.

Denver, Pueblo, and GJ is not representative of the entire state. Get away from them and you're in America.

I would have put KCOS on that list before KPUB or KGJT.

KCOS is interesting with multiple active military bases, the USAFA, all mixed with some of the strangest evangelical organizations in the country... But people who live there seem to like it.

Better view of the mountains than Denver, that's for sure.

I thought about KCOS, but as I think highly of military folk, I think they already know what America is all about. Boulder on the other hand. :rolleyes:

I thought about KCOS, but as I think highly of military folk, I think they already know what America is all about. Boulder on the other hand. :rolleyes:

I know quite a number of folks in Boulder that support our country and armed forces in ways you may not be aware. There's much more there than meets the eye.

And that's about all I can say about it. Trust me (I'm not a politician).

I know quite a number of folks in Boulder that support our country and armed forces in ways you may not be aware. There's much more there than meets the eye.

And that's about all I can say about it. Trust me (I'm not a politician).

I know Bill. I actually like Boulder, and spent a lot of time there, but its always fun to perpetuate the Boulder stereotypes. Plus, I had to buy a Subaru just to get in there. :D

Subaru is the new Volvo. Catch up, will you? :D :D :D

In proper defense of Bill, I wanted to say Volvo but living in proximity of Boulder, I found the Subaru was much more ubiquitous. :D

They're actually good cars.

The 690 is a sweet machine. Enjoy it.

Thanks, I am so far. I like the Garrets a lot on engineering principle - cleaner design than the Pratts.

12" of snow, heavy, wet, tree-knocking-down stuff. Some got as much as 19". Lines down everywhere, many roads still closed Power still out, cable too. Landline phone came online this morning. My 3g bill from Verizon will be a doozy this month - the iPad is the only connection in the house. ATT wireless is almost non-existent, calls drop within seconds, they must have lost a bunch of towers.

It is amazing how big an impact snow can have when trees are still fully-leaved.

Ahh, now here we go...

Blizzard Warning
Expiring: 2011-11-02 18:00:00
Areas affected: Adams; Arapahoe; Arapahoe; Douglas;
COZ045-049-021045- /O.CON.KBOU.BZ.W.0001.111102T0300Z-111102T1800Z/ CENTRAL AND EAST ADAMS AND ARAPAHOE COUNTIES-WASHINGTON COUNTY- INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...BENNETT...BYERS...DEER TRAIL...LEADER... AKRON...COPE...LAST CHANCE...OTIS 842 PM MDT TUE NOV 1 2011 ...BLIZZARD WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL NOON MDT WEDNESDAY... A BLIZZARD WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL NOON MDT WEDNESDAY. * TIMING...A MIX OF RAIN AND SNOW IS EXPECTED TO DEVELOP THIS EVENING...QUICKLY CHANGING OVER TO ALL SNOW BEFORE MIDNIGHT. THE SNOW WILL BE HEAVY AT TIMES OVERNIGHT WITH SNOWFALL RATES AROUND 1 INCH PER HOUR...ESPECIALLY AROUND THUNDERSTORMS. * ACCUMULATION/WIND...TOTAL ACCUMULATIONS 5 TO 10 INCHES CAN BE EXPECTED. NORTH WINDS OF 25 TO 40 MPH WILL OCCUR. * MAIN IMPACT...ROADS WILL BECOME ICY AND SNOWPACKED TONIGHT WITH HAZARDOUS TRAVEL CONDITIONS. VISIBILITIES MAY ALSO BE REDUCED TO LESS THAN ONE QUARTER MILE IN AREAS OF HEAVIER SNOWFALL AND BLOWING SNOW. HEAVY SNOW MAY ACCUMULATE ON TREES RESULTING IN ADDITIONAL TREE DAMAGE AND SCATTERED POWER OUTAGES. * OTHER IMPACTS...TEMPERATURES WILL BE TURNING MUCH COLDER WITH WIND CHILL READINGS DROPPING TO NEAR 10 DEGREES. PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS... A BLIZZARD WARNING MEANS SEVERE WINTER WEATHER CONDITIONS ARE OCCURRING OR IMMINENT. SUSTAINED WIND AND/OR FREQUENT WIND GUSTS OF 35 MPH OR HIGHER WILL COMBINE WITH CONSIDERABLE FALLING AND BLOWING SNOW TO PRODUCE WIDESPREAD VISIBILITIES BELOW ONE QUARTER OF A MILE. TRAVEL WILL BE EXTREMELY DANGEROUS AND IS DISCOURAGED IN THESE WHITEOUT CONDITIONS. IF YOU MUST TRAVEL...HAVE A WINTER SURVIVAL KIT WITH YOU. IF YOU GET STRANDED...STAY WITH YOUR VEHICLE AND WAIT FOR HELP TO ARRIVE.

In proper defense of Bill, I wanted to say Volvo but living in proximity of Boulder, I found the Subaru was much more ubiquitous. :D

They're actually good cars.

We had a 1974 Subaru DL that we bought new. I hope they finally learned how to build the engine so the head gaskets live longer than 50,000 miles. Those sleeved cylinders rested on crush washers that had to be replaced any time the heads were pulled. That meant a complete teardown. It was ready for its third rebuild when I sold it to a former Subaru mechanic who should have known better. :D I've heard that by the 1976 model they had fixed this problem.

My brother has a much newer one that he likes. And he's no hippy Volvo driver, either. :D

Fuji Heavy Industries. Yeah baby!

My Subaru did a good job getting me to the airport this morning. It is better at plowing through the snow than the airplane is...

Toyota Sienna AWD baby. No worries at all.:D

I always have the Jeep for backup, though.

Ahh, now here we go...

Blizzard Warning
Expiring: 2011-11-02 18:00:00
Areas affected: Adams; Arapahoe; Arapahoe; Douglas;
COZ045-049-021045- /O.CON.KBOU.BZ.W.0001.111102T0300Z-111102T1800Z/ CENTRAL AND EAST ADAMS AND ARAPAHOE COUNTIES-WASHINGTON COUNTY- INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...BENNETT...BYERS...DEER TRAIL...LEADER... AKRON...COPE...LAST CHANCE...OTIS 842 PM MDT TUE NOV 1 2011 ...BLIZZARD WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL NOON MDT WEDNESDAY... A BLIZZARD WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL NOON MDT WEDNESDAY. * TIMING...A MIX OF RAIN AND SNOW IS EXPECTED TO DEVELOP THIS EVENING...QUICKLY CHANGING OVER TO ALL SNOW BEFORE MIDNIGHT. THE SNOW WILL BE HEAVY AT TIMES OVERNIGHT WITH SNOWFALL RATES AROUND 1 INCH PER HOUR...ESPECIALLY AROUND THUNDERSTORMS. * ACCUMULATION/WIND...TOTAL ACCUMULATIONS 5 TO 10 INCHES CAN BE EXPECTED. NORTH WINDS OF 25 TO 40 MPH WILL OCCUR. * MAIN IMPACT...ROADS WILL BECOME ICY AND SNOWPACKED TONIGHT WITH HAZARDOUS TRAVEL CONDITIONS. VISIBILITIES MAY ALSO BE REDUCED TO LESS THAN ONE QUARTER MILE IN AREAS OF HEAVIER SNOWFALL AND BLOWING SNOW. HEAVY SNOW MAY ACCUMULATE ON TREES RESULTING IN ADDITIONAL TREE DAMAGE AND SCATTERED POWER OUTAGES. * OTHER IMPACTS...TEMPERATURES WILL BE TURNING MUCH COLDER WITH WIND CHILL READINGS DROPPING TO NEAR 10 DEGREES. PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS... A BLIZZARD WARNING MEANS SEVERE WINTER WEATHER CONDITIONS ARE OCCURRING OR IMMINENT. SUSTAINED WIND AND/OR FREQUENT WIND GUSTS OF 35 MPH OR HIGHER WILL COMBINE WITH CONSIDERABLE FALLING AND BLOWING SNOW TO PRODUCE WIDESPREAD VISIBILITIES BELOW ONE QUARTER OF A MILE. TRAVEL WILL BE EXTREMELY DANGEROUS AND IS DISCOURAGED IN THESE WHITEOUT CONDITIONS. IF YOU MUST TRAVEL...HAVE A WINTER SURVIVAL KIT WITH YOU. IF YOU GET STRANDED...STAY WITH YOUR VEHICLE AND WAIT FOR HELP TO ARRIVE.

I mowed my lawn today, blew off all the leaves on my place onto the neighbor's lawn,, (it was his tree anyway) I'll have to do that again a couple times this winter.

OK all you California haters, here is the current weather.

As you can see, both the bay and the sky (in Sausalito, near the Golden Gate Bridge) - are blue. The floating houseboats and yachts and restored commuter ferry houses are just fine and today I did not have to wade in through high tide / salt water in my galoshes (yes we are in a tidal zone).

Kimberly

6307339842_012e777c74_b.jpg

A californian once tad me he didn't trust any air he couldn't see

Well he was not a California girl.

California girls are - um - different.

We know you can't see the air since it is - duh - all in our heads.

Back