It's actually snowing...

It's try to snow here, but not sticking.

Sadly, it's too early to put my studded tires on.

Yeah, snowing in winter happens.

I wasn't aware winter had started.

It's the worst threat we've ever seen: GLOBAL COOLING! Quick, everyone start burning AvGas! :yes:

Yes, we're getting snow in Chester County. A LOT OF SNOW it seems. Didn't think it would start until later today.

I cut the lawn YESTERDAY. I feel like I am back in Denver again, which is actually a pretty good feeling.

And you're surprised? I've seen 40F - 50F fluctuations in Denver in HOURS. I mowed my lawn there in the snow once. It was literally snowing as I was cutting the frickin grass.

I'll be sure to have all calendars reprinted in accordance with your book.
I guess I am used to living in a place that gets snow at the end of October once every couple of years. Not that I like living in this place, but we can get snow from the end of October to April. To me that is winter.

I guess I am used to living in a place that gets snow at the end of October once every couple of years. Not that I like living in this place, but we can get snow from the end of October to April. To me that is winter.

Here in SE Pennsylvania we're supposed to benefit from the warming effects of the Atlantic (not felt west of the Alleghenies).

That same ocean sometimes provides copious moisture that collides with cold air on this side of the Alleghenies. Not Very Nice.

:no:

My parents are up in southern Pennsylvania, and said it was snowing before halloween! I was shocked haha.

And out here in the land of seven months of winter (Alberta), we have cloudless skies and +4°C (39°F). Should reach 50°F today and 60 tomorrow. This is about the latest, calendar-wise, in 19 years here that we haven't seen snow yet.

Dan

Central MD. Snowing to beat the band. About an inch on the ground. Forecast 2-4".
Six miles east it's rain.
Too dam early for this noise.

We are 51 degrees under a very high light overcast. with some 400' skud from the morning fog lifting off.

Great day to fly. with a minus density altitude.

It got down into the low 50s on the island last night. This had two immediate effects:

1. All tourism came to a screeching halt. From 100% sold out, we dropped to 4 (count 'em!) guests at the inn.

2. The natives were wearing heavy coats and gloves, and the beach was deserted.

I put the liner in my motorcycle jacket, for the first time since last January.

Jay. No matter the temps. PLEASE keep your clothes on. :D

Jay. No matter the temps. PLEASE keep your clothes on. :D

That's a promise I have no trouble keeping! :rolleyes:

Although, down here being "dressed" is relative. I wear fewer clothes to go to the best restaurant here than I did to go to the beach in Iowa. :yikes:

At the beach in Iowa:

RedneckIceFishing.jpg

At the beach in Iowa:

Guffaw! :lol:

Actually, we had several really nice beaches in Iowa, just North of town at Lake MacBride. Here's a picture of one of them...

LakeMacBride2.jpg

Unfortunately, they were usable for maybe 6 weeks a year... :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Rain, sleet, snow, mother nature can't seem to make up her mind.

It needs to pass, I have to reposition 08R tomorrow for annual starting Monday!

42° in coastal Maine. Because of the snow warnings for tonight I today have:

(a.) Drove the Austin Healey from my garage to KIWI Wiscasset. A-H doesn't travel on wet roads.
(b.) Topped off A-H with 100LL avgas.
(c.) Put A-H in my hangar for the winter.
(d.) Hitch-hiked home(12.5 miles); made it in one ride(from a stranger).
(e.) Started the Gravely tractor/snow blower; moved it from summer storage to usual
A-H bay.
(f.) Will make a quick offloading of F-150, load of leaves/pine needles at transfer station.
(g.) Considered that I'm "ready."
(h.) Remind myself that the above annual routine is why snow bunnies move to Florida.
(h1.) " " that the boat and trailer still needs to be removed from the marina.

HR

Harley,

What mixture do you use 100LL to autogas in the Austin Healey?

I top-off straight from the 100LL depot at KIWI. During the summer driving months, based upon fuel pricing(auto gas - Avgas), I usually do every other fill with 100LL, otherwise using highest octane from the gas station pumps. 12 gal. tank isn't much but when the difference is up to $2.50 per gal., there's a "limit."

Today the line-boy "reminded" me that 100LL is not approved for road use, so I should really come with 5-gal. cans. He's new there; I'd not heard the information before. In the future I can refuel with 100LL after hours.

HR

Got my wood stove cranked up. :):):)

I don't care whether it's snowing or not.

Will mow my lawn today .. get ready for winter.

Got my wood stove cranked up. :):):)

I don't care whether it's snowing or not.

Yep!! Good day to sit in front of the fire, read a book and drink Bourbon! Have 3-4" of heavy wet stuff. Quite a few trees way bowed over, every once in a while can hear a branch break. Township was just here to remove a tree off the road.

Gary

Wood pellet stove going here,.. 12 sheets of drywall hung in the attic bedroom today. Just in from playing with the kids making.,... Snow-Pumpkins!

Attachments

• IMG_0647.JPG
    IMG_0647.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0654.JPG
    IMG_0654.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0640.JPG
    IMG_0640.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 13
I'm so glad I started a new job 2 weeks ago that is out of the snow belt. I am watching the weather channel right now thinking man that looks cold.

Given your new name, it looks like that you're driving a new bird, too.

Just arrived home from a dinner date. At 6:00 pm precip. was very light, almost rain. During the 17 mile drive home(8:15 to 8:45) it was snowing hard but nothing sticking to the ground. Listening to WCBS Radio(NYC), NJ governor has declared "State of Emergency" with ½ million out of power, highways in tough shape. New York and Connecticut appear to be getting nailed hard.

Well, cancel my opening remark. It's now 9:03 and the ground is beginning to get cover, so all may NOT be well in my region.

HR

As soon as the temps started to drop below 60F, it is winter on my calendar.

I guess it's winter here, than.

Will mow my lawn today .. get ready for winter.

Lawn? What's a lawn? Oh, yeah. That patch of grass we eliminated when we relandscaped a few years ago. :D

2,000,000 without power? That's not good. Get it back. I have meetings in New Jersey in 3 weeks.

60F+ and sunny here.

Oh wait I mean, Denver is cold and snowy. Don't move here. ;)

Lived there. It's 60 F and sunny now.

Post back tomorrow.

:devil:

Me too. The BIG secret, is that Denver, and the Front Range actually have a very moderate climate. Yeah, they can get their temp swings, and dumpings of snow, but in my years there I found the typical Denver winter day was a few inches of snow in the morning, which melted by around Noon or so, with totally sunny skies and temps in the 50's, and 60's. The sun and low humidity also makes the temps in the winter feel warmer and temps in the summer feel cooler. One, of many reasons, I will eventually move back.

Me too. The BIG secret, is that Denver, and the Front Range actually have a very moderate climate. Yeah, they can get their temp swings, and dumpings of snow, but in my years there I found the typical Denver winter day was a few inches of snow in the morning, which melted by around Noon or so, with totally sunny skies and temps in the 50's, and 60's. The sun and low humidity also makes the temps in the winter feel warmer and temps in the summer feel cooler. One, of many reasons, I will eventually move back.

I love the low humidity of the west!

But have too many connections to the east. And, I'm not a fan of rapid Californization.

:mad:

I love the low humidity of the west!

But have too many connections to the east. And, I'm not a fan of rapid Californization.

:mad:

The good news is the Californians stopped coming in droves when their housing market crashed.

The whole thing was driven by fake money. They'd sell the overpriced $500K shoe box and move here and buy the cardboard tents... ahem, beautiful houses in Highlands Ranch for $350K and pocket the difference, avoiding Capital Gains taxes.

Then they learned they'd need an old beater 4WD for the few days we do get 3 feet of white stuff, a stocked pantry to actually cool from once in a while, the rest of us have real fireplaces/wood stove inserts/generators.

Recently they ran the Douglas County school district broke after Douglas County was once listed as the fastest growing county in the U.S., by continually voting against higher property taxes under our State laws that require taxes be approved by the voters.

Now they bicker about having to pay extra to bus their kids to school while still paying rent-a-cops to patrol their so-called neighborhoods looking for Covenant violators to fine them to pay the management companies and lawyers. (Priorities people. Really.)

The only good news is, most of 'em are contained to Douglas County.

If we would only just put up a "Do you know how to drive in snow/rain/blowing dust checkpoint at the border, we'd be golden. ;)

The low-rider 2WD Denali's are a hoot to watch in the snow.

Back