Items to bring on a long cross country flight

callegro

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Callegro
There was an article a couple months ago, possibly in Plane and Pilot, of an essential list of items to have with you on a long cross country flight. Things such as lumbar support for your back, that oxygen canister was on there as well, some other things.....

Was just curious to know if you guys have a list of things to bring on your longer flights as far as comfort, and also safety.

A thermos of coffee, pee bottles and my flight bag. Nothing else. But I'm not flying in the mountains, my attitude might change if I was.

- One forty-five caliber automatic
- Two boxes of ammunition
- Four days' concentrated emergency rations
- One drug issue containing antibiotics, morphine,
vitamin pills, pep pills, sleeping pills, tranquilizer pills
- One miniature combination Russian phrase book and Bible
- One hundred dollars in rubles
- One hundred dollars in gold
- Nine packs of chewing gum
- One issue of prophylactics
- Three lipsticks
- Three pair of nylon stockings.

- Three lipsticks

For clarification, is the bible in Russian too?

I have a small cooler for drinks and snacks. Also I take everything out of my pockets and I wear loose trousers so I can pee in my empty Gatorade bottle when I need to.

Twinkies - In case of emergency tear plastic

iPad/notepad with pen, headset, that's about it.

Trail mix and water along with my usual stuff in the flight bag works.

Last edited:
- Three lipsticks

Your list is strange but I love it. :)

Last edited:
Hose clamps, zip ties, a spare tire tube, vice grips and a screwdriver.

Vacuum seal travel toiletries, meds, clean underwear, etc. in a vacuum seal bag, and keep them in the airplane for those times when a day trip turns in an overnighter. I've broken the seal more than once due to weather / mechanical issues.

- Three lipsticks

6281eac402e368479b937cd4f973fe43.jpg

Credit card, leatherman tool, water bottle.

• Beef jerky
  • Cucumber flavored Gatorade (because it's the most refreshing drink on the market, even when it's hot)
  • A Nerf ball just in case you have time to kill.

There was an article a couple months ago, possibly in Plane and Pilot, of an essential list of items to have with you on a long cross country flight. Things such as lumbar support for your back, that oxygen canister was on there as well, some other things.....

Was just curious to know if you guys have a list of things to bring on your longer flights as far as comfort, and also safety.

*Two to three means of paying for fuel or repairs.
*Means to tie down the airplane
*Your personal comfort items(beef jerky and water bottle for me)
*Whatever comfort items your passengers need
*Something to clean the bugs off the leading edges and windows
*chargers for all your devices
*extra oil/funnel/rag

Hose clamps, zip ties, a spare tire tube, vice grips and a screwdriver.

There are very few things on my airplane I can't repair in a pinch using zipties, some tape and a Gerber multi-tool.

Vacuum seal travel toiletries, meds, clean underwear, etc. in a vacuum seal bag, and keep them in the airplane for those times when a day trip turns in an overnighter. I've broken the seal more than once due to weather / mechanical issues.

Good idea.

Also cash in small denominations for tips if stuck somewhere overnight. I always tip the lineman or buy extra food and bring it back to the fbo.

Like from CA to GA?

-An overnight bag
-Food
-Cash
-Entertainment on the iPad
-P*ss bottle (very important)
-Blanket, pillow, and a 7600 squawk code

BTW... A Gats jar works well as an emergency pee bottle.

The last flight I took I whipped out mini-eman1200 and took a whiz. Not so much because I had to go real bad, more to 'test it out', I had never done that before so figured I'd work out the process prior to actually needing to do it (well, that and I take every opportunity to whip it out. The local restaurants hate me). I did make a note that next time I should actually use a bottle.

Other stuff plus Travel Johns.

We would seriously consider not going without at least 3 of these. They work very well and they do not spill after the 30 seconds it takes to fully gel up. Hopefully you're traveling solo or with REALLY CLOSE friends. If not, you gotta land and that just sucks.

Last edited:
I've always managed the "need to go" thing by managing my water intake before the flight. I also think I have an unusually strong bladder, and have no problem with a 4 hour leg.

The one tool I bought when I got back into flying long x-countries was a nice big switchblade knife. It's solid enough to break windows, cut through seat belts, and who knows what else if I found myself having to ditch in the middle of a remote area.

How long is a "long" cross country?

Only time I've packed anything "extra" that wasn't needed for my destination was my 4400+ nm flight. And that was only because I was over some desolate country, and if I lived in that part of the country, that would be in the plane whether it was a cross country or not.

Other than that, I have a credit card and checkbook.

Money,credit card or two ,water ,a snack and your IPad with foreflight.

:rofl:Has anyone ever decided to dump the contents out the window after using the bathroom? (Imagine doing that over the city) :rofl:

Doesn't need to be "long" at all. In the summer in the desert southwest you better have lots of water on board if you are planning on being out of gliding distance from civilization.

Last edited:
I keep some cash including small bills for tips or any small fees, some pepto, a small bottle of contact lens solution, a spare pair of glasses, a knife, a magnesium fire starter block, a few space blankets, a few trash bags, and a lifestraw in my pilots bag

I have the following bag
http://www.flightoutfitters.com/lift

I like it that it is large enough to carry all of the above plus a pair of DC headsets easily but isnt so large that it cant be carried easily in one hand or stored behind the seat in an LSA

I've always managed the "need to go" thing by managing my water intake before the flight. I also think I have an unusually strong bladder, and have no problem with a 4 hour leg.

The one tool I bought when I got back into flying long x-countries was a nice big switchblade knife. It's solid enough to break windows, cut through seat belts, and who knows what else if I found myself having to ditch in the middle of a remote area.

My butt hurts too much after sitting two hours, so i like to plan a gas/stretching/go pee stop.

Back