It won't make their planes any safer, but...

Hello, I am your flight attendant, can I get something for you..???

13987148_ori.jpg

They must find ways to stay under gross weght and carry enough fuel.

on a very different note, how to airlines do weight and balance? i mean when i book my flight, i dont tell them how much i weigh, so lets say i weigh 400 lbs (i am tad less than that) and 60% of the people on the same flight are 400 lbs as well, lets say we are going for all you can eat and drink convention that invited us for winning the all you can eat and drink competitions at state level for last 7 years... as a pilot how would you ever calculate those on a regional flight.. those planes where you cant put chit in the overhead bin because the only thing that will fit in their is my sandwich . or does is not matter because even that plane can carry 20,000 lbs and only 15 400lbs winner dont make any difference? even then.. what about CG?

i dont ever have to worry about it cuz i fly 172 (and me and my CFI is plenty to reach max gross), but just wondering if i should bail next time i find people are going in that convention before boarding

on a very different note, how to airlines do weight and balance? i mean when i book my flight, i dont tell them how much i weigh, so lets say i weigh 400 lbs (i am tad less than that) and 60% of the people on the same flight are 400 lbs as well, lets say we are going for all you can eat and drink convention that invited us for winning the all you can eat and drink competitions at state level for last 7 years... as a pilot how would you ever calculate those on a regional flight.. those planes where you cant put chit in the overhead bin because the only thing that will fit in their is my sandwich . or does is not matter because even that plane can carry 20,000 lbs and only 15 400lbs winner dont make any difference? even then.. what about CG?

i dont ever have to worry about it cuz i fly 172 (and me and my CFI is plenty to reach max gross), but just wondering if i should bail next time i find people are going in that convention before boarding

Don't give it another thought - your government has got this covered ! The FAA established that all passengers shall be considered to weigh 190 lbs in the summertime and 195 lbs in the winter.

There are scales on the struts so they know when they close the doors. I have been on airliners where the pilot said we had to wait at the end of the runway to burn off some fuel before we could take off.

Airlines use standard weights for adult male and women, and for kiddies, and baggage also. I forget what they were. It usually averages out but there are certain flights, like charters with an NFL football team for instance, that a charter operator may want actual weights. When I flew at an airline we did quite a few college basketball charters. There was a coordinator from the mainline airline (Delta) who flew with us. He briefed the flight attendants not to use the food cart, and I asked why not. He replied that if one of those player's future (NBA) was ruined because a food cart bang his knee seriously enough, Delta would be facing a lawsuit. Made sense as those players have a difficult time getting comfortable on a regional jet. Or any passenger now that I think about it! :rofl:

Last edited:
The FAA established that all passengers shall be considered to weigh 190 lbs in the summertime and 195 lbs in the winter.
Don't forget to mention that those figures include all of the bags that are carried in the cabin. Only checked-bag weight is added separately.

There are scales on the struts so they know when they close the doors.
There are no scales in the struts. Aircraft weight is calculated using standard weights for passengers and checked bags plus actual weights for cargo.

Just dispense with assigned seating and put a giant plate of free cookies near the cg. :D:D

Wasn't there some airline that had a bunch of girls in bikinis or something along those lines as their FA? I wish I could be more specific I just have a vague memory of having seen that at some point.

Wasn't there some airline that had a bunch of girls in bikinis or something along those lines as their FA? I wish I could be more specific I just have a vague memory of having seen that at some point.
Not bikinis but:
2013-11-southwest-1970s.0.jpg

PSA had the same thing back in the day.

I'm disappointed I never got a chance to fly on Hooter's. I did, however, on a trip to Dallas, talk a waitress out of her tshirt. It ended up being more of a trade. She took my souvenir tshirt, changed in the ladies room, and gave me the one she was wearing. Her biggest concern was her manager and whether she'd get fired. She was there a couple of nights later.

Back