It was fine when I brought it in....

cgrab

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
cgrab
The plane is in the shop for its annual. I'm a hands on guy and the mechanic likes the help. We were close to finishing and after checking the filters, he put the fuel lines back on the carb. We broke for lunch. I got a text that after he got back the accelerator pump was leaking and the carb has to go out to be rebuilt. Am I...
a) ****ed that he broke something or
b) glad that it happened in the shop and not in the air and
c) out allot of cash.

Old planes, especially any non metal parts can age, and break. I’ve had parts break during maintenance more than once...that’s why after annuals or major service I get nervous.

Tom

It was probably leaking before, but you only notice it when someone strokes the throttle and you have to be looking right at it. The small amount of gas that sprays out will instantly disappear in a warm engine compartment. Had this happen on my old 69 Mustang. I called it the "fuel rejection engine." I'd never have noticed it if I hadn't had someone goose the throttle while I was spraying carb cleaner in the throat.

What airplane do you own that fuel lines are removed from the carb and you check filters at annual?

What airplane do you own that fuel lines are removed from the carb and you check filters at annual?

Cessna 177, its a dumb design. The 177B has a fitting opposite the fuel inlet that the screen comes out, the 177, at least with the carb I have, does not.

The plane is in the shop for its annual. I'm a hands on guy and the mechanic likes the help. We were close to finishing and after checking the filters, he put the fuel lines back on the carb. We broke for lunch. I got a text that after he got back the accelerator pump was leaking and the carb has to go out to be rebuilt. Am I...
c) out allot of cash.

d) ****ed that the mechanic wants to send it out for rebuild, rather than just fixing it. What is it with mechanics these days? It's perfectly legal for them to repair a carburettor, and dam simple to do. He/she can IRAN it, replacing everything. Only takes an hour or so.

Cessna 177, its a dumb design. The 177B has a fitting opposite the fuel inlet that the screen comes out, the 177, at least with the carb I have, does not.

You said filter and I’m like what airplane does he have with a fuel filter.

c) out allot of cash.
d) All of the above.

I pressed a little and he did find the problem and we were able to fix it. Should be back in the air next week.

I pressed a little and he did find the problem and we were able to fix it. Should be back in the air next week.

Well maybe if you hadn't of pressed it, it would not have broken...

Back