It’s just a ****ing game

A little before my time, but I think the phrase "gag me with a spoon" applies to Taylor swift and the game.

Maybe I'm just bitter having a tall, pale, blonde cousin with bangs. Who's mother literally wiped her until she was 8, and despite going to college for 5 years decided selling crappy art on the beach was a better career choice.

As a doctor, when I get envious of the crazy paychecks of entertainers and such, I’m always tempted to ask, “Yeah? How many lives has she saved?”

But when you touch as many lives as TS has, perhaps the answer is some number higher than zero. *shrug*

As a doctor, when I get envious of the crazy paychecks of entertainers and such,....

As an engineer, I sometimes get envious of the crazy fees of physicians.* After all, you didn’t invent the human body; you just repair it occasionally.

Happy National Engineer’s Week.

* On the bright side, engineers do have a higher statistical probability of becoming millionaires.

* On the bright side, engineers do have a higher statistical probability of becoming millionaires.

How the heck is that? I’d expect either profession has a near 100% probability with a reasonable career length and no hooker/blow/airplane habit.

How the heck is that? I’d expect either profession has a near 100% probability with a reasonable career length and no hooker/blow/airplane habit.

Maths. Top 5 professions identified in a study

1. Engineering
2. Accounting
3. Teaching
4. Management
5. Attorney

https://www.mbacentral.org/30-popular-degrees-studied-millionaires/ Engineering is #1.

No, it's not 100%, though it's pretty high, and the odds are better for engineers than doctors.

This will be in broad terms with some sweeping generalizations, and there are many many exceptions on both sides, but bear with me.

One big reason the odds favor the engineer has to do with opportunity cost. Engineers can enter the profession with only a BS and pursue their advanced degrees while earning six figures. Physicians eventually earn more, but they go many years while earning less than their engineer contemporaries. Plus, physicians rack up much much more debt pursuing their education. So by, let's say, age 35, the engineer has cleared his student loans years ago, has been practicing for 12-15 years, has earned his advanced degree(s) (often paid for by his employer), and has been investing money all that time, whereas the doctor is still in the beginning stage of practice and has a mountain of debt to service. That gives the engineer a helluva head start. Engineers effectively have a longer career length, and compounded investment earnings alone give the engineer an edge.

The nature of engineering practice is such that the majority of us work for businesses with 401k plans, profit sharing, bonus plans, etc., and our employers will often pay for our advanced degrees (and in some cases will pay a bit toward undergrad student loans as a hiring incentive). When you compare an engineer's total compensation package to that of the physician, the doctor has an advantage but it's not as great as you might think.

Next, consider that many engineers eventually become entrepeneurs, inventing products and starting businesses, sometimes done as a side hustle while still reaping the benefits of a corporate employer. This can be quite lucrative.

Engineers are also more likely to move into top-paying executive positions. At Lockheed, the vast majority of our management team all the way to the executive suite were engineers.

One the expense side of the ledger, social pressures come into play. Many physicians feel they must own a large and expensive home in a pricey neighborhood, drive an expensive car, etc. Engineers aren't under as much pressure that way, and in fact there's almost a reverse pressure from our professional peers. Engineers take pleasure in keeping old vehicles running, or buying and rebuilding clunkers, for example. You might see a Rolex on the wrist of a physican and a Seiko on the wrist of an engineer, but that's not necessarily an indication of wealth; it might be an indication of debt.

As far as the
hooker/blow/airplane habit.
I don't know about doctors, but engineers are willing to settle for beer and don't have time for girlfriends when there's work to do in the lab. :) Airplanes? Doctors are famous for flying Beech Bonanzas, whereas engineers like me just have little Beech Musketeers.

:biggrin:

Since there’s much discussion regarding Taylor Swift in this thread, I’ll just drop this, hereIMG_8626.jpeg

I don't know about doctors, but engineers are willing to settle for beer and don't have time for girlfriends when there's work to do in the lab. :)

I was gonna say, celibacy saves you guys a TON of money. ;) :p

But to your point - my wife is a doctor and will be 37 before she sees six figures. But hopefully she'll turn the corner soon and I can semi-retire!

my wife is a doctor and will be 37 before she sees six figures.

Not uncommon. An engineer in the right specialty could have already been turning six figures for 15 years. She’ll eventually have a larger income, but the engineer has an enormous head start.

Not uncommon. An engineer in the right specialty could have already been turning six figures for 15 years. She’ll eventually have a larger income, but the engineer has an enormous head start.

It doesn't change your point, but my wife is sort of an outlier - friggin' five year residency, two years of research, and now finishing up her one year fellowship. Most doctors are smarter about their choice of specialties (I joke only because my wife does!). :)

It doesn't change your point, but my wife is sort of an outlier - friggin' five year residency, two years of research, and now finishing up her one year fellowship. Most doctors are smarter about their choice of specialties (I joke only because my wife does!). :)

A friend of mine (engineer) retired from LM, then came back as a part-time consultant when his son decided to go to med school. Then the son decided to continue to become a cardiologist. As far as I know, my friend is still working, but maybe his son can treat him when he has the upcoming heart attack......

Back