Is Tony responsible for this death?

• Yes

Votes: 29 16.6%
  • No

Votes: 117 66.9%
  • Not sure

Votes: 29 16.6%

• Total voters
Nope. You run around a race track like a fool with cars going past you, you win a Darwin Award.

Negligent homicide perhaps? He did blip the throttle right before he hit him, that causes the car to pitch sideways.

But isn't that how you avoid things otherwise you would just slide? Wouldn't you? I don't know enough about the cars but that seems to be how you gain traction.

Tony obviously saw the guy and lit up the rear tires intentionally as he approached. Not sure of murder, but how could he not be responsible.

Tony obviously saw the guy and lit up the rear tires intentionally as he approached. Not sure of murder, but how could he not be responsible.

Looks like low light could have made it hard to see him

And how would you prove that? Have you ever sat in a Sprint car with a HANS device and full face helmet on and strapped in?

Negligent homicide perhaps?

Still no.

Not unless you can prove he intended to bump the guy, or scare him enough to teach him a lesson or something.

The guy ran out onto a hot track, bad move. Looks like he needed to dodge the blue/white car. Maybe that car was blocking Stewart's view.

Have any of you run a dirt oval race before?

Thought so.

No way was he responsible, nor culpable. I am no fan of Stewart but running at night, on a dirt oval, in a short WB car, set up to turn ONLY left is a wonder the cars are even driveable. I've got 38 races under my belt, nothing with an engine bigger than 5L class, and they are shyte to drive. BTW, my highest finish was a 3rd place. The only reason I got that was of the 16 cars that started the main event, only 7 were still running at the end. Most of them were flipped, rolled, or otherwise crunched along the way. RIP - but the first rule of racing is don't get out of the car unless it's on fire. If you do get out of the car, climb the fence, or go over the rail as fast as you can.

Considering the legal definition of manslaughter vice murder and the precipitating circumstances that set the stage for the confrontation a mere one-lap before?

-No, he's not a murderer.

-Yes, I think he nipped him on purpose. It wouldn't be murder just based on the fact the guy didn't have the cooling off period to create premeditation and thus 1st deg murder. Any of those cars could have accidentally killed him. The guy with the beef ended up doing it. I don't believe in coincidences. It would be a very small sentence indeed if I was judge and jury.

-No, I don't think he intended to kill him, just merely publicly shame him/hurt him for his dare (walking out on the track to front him). Ergo criminally negligent voluntary manslaughter. Hell, let's be gracious and bump it down to involuntary manslaughter and give hot head the benefit of the doubt.

-No I don't think he will be prosecuted at all based on such a circumstantial case.

Life ain't fair, and people can take you out legally under less than perfect circumstances. These days fights without guns are not worth fighting. People effectively have the right to kill you and claim innocent ignorance. It's a jacked up Country....

As to the exercise in hindsight? Automatic yellow flag when pedestrians on the track anyone? Just sayin'. Now, if Stewart had killed him under a yellow flag, then oh boy, that would be second degree murder right there.

The poll reminds me of the Casey Anthony case. Because Florida overtried the charges, she's de facto innocent? Whatever happened to lesser charge? The poll needs to include an option for manslaughter.

Have any of you run a dirt oval race before?

Thought so.

No way was he responsible, nor culpable. I am no fan of Stewart but running at night, on a dirt oval, in a short WB car, set up to turn ONLY left is a wonder the cars are even driveable. I've got 38 races under my belt, nothing with an engine bigger than 5L class, and they are shyte to drive. BTW, my highest finish was a 3rd place. The only reason I got that was of the 16 cars that started the main event, only 7 were still running at the end. Most of them were flipped, rolled, or otherwise crunched along the way. RIP - but the first rule of racing is don't get out of the car unless it's on fire. If you do get out of the car, climb the fence, or go over the rail as fast as you can.

Shoulda stayed in the car. The outcome was sad but not unforeseen when he started running around the track and pointing at people.

Considering the legal definition of manslaughter vice murder and the precipitating circumstances that set the stage for the confrontation a mere one-lap before?

-No, he's not a murderer.

-Yes, I think he nipped him on purpose. It wouldn't be murder just based on the fact the guy didn't have the cooling off period to create premeditation and thus 1st deg murder. Any of those cars could have accidentally killed him. The guy with the beef ended up doing it. I don't believe in coincidences. It would be a very small sentence indeed if I was judge and jury.

-No, I don't think he intended to kill him, just merely publicly shame him/hurt him for his dare (walking out on the track to front him). Ergo criminally negligent voluntary manslaughter. Hell, let's be gracious and bump it down to involuntary manslaughter and give hot head the benefit of the doubt.

-No I don't think he will be prosecuted at all based on such a circumstantial case.

Life ain't fair, and people can take you out legally under less than perfect circumstances. These days fights without guns are not worth fighting. People effectively have the right to kill you and claim innocent ignorance. It's a jacked up Country....

As to the exercise in hindsight? Automatic yellow flag when pedestrians on the track anyone? Just sayin'. Now, if Stewart had killed him under a yellow flag, then oh boy, that would be second degree murder right there.
I thought they were under a yellow flag due to the initial wreck. I think Stewart did attempt to hit him with a glancing blow but did not intend to cause a serious injury. I think he might be guilty of unintentional manslaughter.

Running out on a live racetrack is a Darwin Award move.

Not a pro, but I've done a lot of dirt track driving. It's fun, but I can't imagine running out into traffic and expecting not to get hurt.

RIP.....

This is sort of a loaded question. Unless you are Tony you don't really know the answer. You certainly can't tell much from a poorly lit grainy video. In short, my answer was "not sure". What you can tell from the video is a driver left his car and walked into race traffic. Tony did hit the gas but for what reason is unknown. He could have been trying to avoid conflict, he could have been trying to scare the kid, or he could have been surprised by the looking up and suddenly seeing someone is in path.

Instead of hanging on who did what and why, let's hope some changes come to prevent the same outcome.

Nope. You run around a race track like a fool with cars going past you, you win a Darwin Award.

+1, dipsh!t ran into traffic instead of heading for the wall behind the car.

The driver was running on the track ,looking for a confrontation,let his temper get the best of him.

Condolences to the family, but this sure looks to me like a Darwin Award was won.​

Last edited:
I can't see any pro driver intentionally trying 'bump' somebody with their car, even under yellow they are still doing 50mph? At 50mph there is no such thing as a 'bump'.

Negligent homicide perhaps? He did blip the throttle right before he hit him, that causes the car to pitch sideways.

This. He burped the throttle to spray the guy and ended up killing him.

Course, NASCAR will fix it by making new rules that drivers must not exit the car unless it's on fire.

I keep hearing he revved the engine and went sideways on purpose. I didn't see any of that from the vid. The car that went right before Stewart was going sideways and faster than Stewart was. Then the guy walked even further down the track to intentionally get in front of Stewart. Stewart wasn't going that fast or even fish tailing. Looked to me like he was trying to slow down and the guy gave him no choice.

So no. He's not guilty of anything.

This. He burped the throttle to spray the guy and ended up killing him.

Course, NASCAR will fix it by making new rules that drivers must not exit the car unless it's on fire.

A. Are you sure it was Stewarts' car that did the throttle blip?

B. Are you sure of his intent? Could he have been considering going around the outside? Traffic played a factor.

C. Not a NASCAR sanctioned event, it's a Sprint Car, but Stewart is a NASCAR ranked driver.

D. There is already a rule in place(I won't google it), but drivers started ignoring it after Dale Jarrett's famous incident(done under yellow and with pace car out front, I think).

I am amazed at the shear emotion, and anger these guys show to each other while preaching they are "a family". While I don't think Stewart meant to kill this guy, (who shouldn't have been wandering around on the track anyway), he may have been trying to teach him a "lesson" by scaring him a bit, and just got too close. Who knows? Darwin award for sure, but allowing emotion to get the better of you while wielding a race care is just stupid whether you be wandering on the track pointing fingers, or behind the wheel.

This video shows absolutely no wrongdoing on the part of anyone except Ward. I see an angry driver on foot step out into the path of a speeding race car on a dirt track in low light conditions. Shocking end result, no. Hell he's lucky the rescue truck didn't run him over next.

It's all part of the dikc-measuring contest that young guys play all the time. I've been intimidated on the track when I first started by getting bumped for no cause. They just want to let you know who's the boss at this track, and don't get in the way, you miserable pud-knocker.

Since I was also a crew-dog getting the car ready, and had to fix the car if I broke it, I was pretty careful about bumping and grinding with other cars on the track. It's considered bad form for a back-marker, or slower car to get involved with the Big Boys(sic - Stewart), and I would guess that this is what Stewart was doing on this track, this night before the crash. He was moving other cars out of the way with his front bumper, and got a bit too aggressive with one move, which caused all the heartburn.

I don't know about this kid, but likely he had a lot of his own money, and family time and energy wrapped up in his car, and for it to be damaged by Stewart is pretty galling. But - you can take it to the race steward, or track officials after the race and ask for sanctions or disqualification.

There is about a 0.000001% chance that Stewart would be sanctioned for a bump and run, and an even less chance he would be disqualified. That's what the deal is when you are a Big Dog, it puts butts in the seats, and beer sales pay for the race officials, so if this small track was to sanction him, Stewart would likely never come back, and tell his other buddies that the track was 'unfriendly' and they would never get any names to race there again.

What I would have done, is to limp back to the pits, fix my car enough that it would be let back in the race, and then ram Stewart on his next pass. Sure, I'd get disqualified, and they might even suspend my driver's card for a while - but, Stewart would know who I was, and not because of the obit. :nono::yesnod:

I just looked this up: was curious if there was a night race, helmet cam view.

This is NOT the accident video. It's just something I thought would be interesting that would show a driver's perspective of a night race on a dirt short-track. Somebody in a dark suit, jumping out of the shadows, isn't going to be seen very well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EagRmsXpZL4

This one is better lit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPXI0CNTyEg

Last edited:
It's all part of the dikc-measuring contest that young guys play all the time. I've been intimidated on the track when I first started by getting bumped for no cause. They just want to let you know who's the boss at this track, and don't get in the way, you miserable pud-knocker.

Since I was also a crew-dog getting the car ready, and had to fix the car if I broke it, I was pretty careful about bumping and grinding with other cars on the track. It's considered bad form for a back-marker, or slower car to get involved with the Big Boys(sic - Stewart), and I would guess that this is what Stewart was doing on this track, this night before the crash. He was moving other cars out of the way with his front bumper, and got a bit too aggressive with one move, which caused all the heartburn.

I don't know about this kid, but likely he had a lot of his own money, and family time and energy wrapped up in his car, and for it to be damaged by Stewart is pretty galling. But - you can take it to the race steward, or track officials after the race and ask for sanctions or disqualification.

There is about a 0.000001% chance that Stewart would be sanctioned for a bump and run, and an even less chance he would be disqualified. That's what the deal is when you are a Big Dog, it puts butts in the seats, and beer sales pay for the race officials, so if this small track was to sanction him, Stewart would likely never come back, and tell his other buddies that the track was 'unfriendly' and they would never get any names to race there again.

What I would have done, is to limp back to the pits, fix my car enough that it would be let back in the race, and then ram Stewart on his next pass. Sure, I'd get disqualified, and they might even suspend my driver's card for a while - but, Stewart would know who I was, and not because of the obit. :nono::yesnod:

I never, ever thought I would agree with this man about anything. But here we are.

I think people are using Stewarts past history to cloud their judgment of this. Instead of Stewart, put Jr. in that car, anybody think he did it on purpose after seeing the video? Nope.

Not that Tony hasn't been known to charge a car on the track on foot and throw his helmet at it.

the way to slow down on a race track like that is to try to speed up - a good driver would have more control of a dirt track car in a slide than with the wheels grabbing / releasing / grabbing / releasing. . . .

I'm sure he blipped the throttle to keep control - once he slowed down too far on the bank he loses control . . .

thats his story and he's sticking to it

That was certainly my first thought. What idiot would get out of his car and go right into the middle of the track with cars still barreling around. The car before Stewart had to swerve to miss him. If he was mad at Stewart they could settle it some place else off the track.

And if ur throttle stuck from damage in the first wreck and you climbed over his rear bumper and punctured his tail tank causing a massive methanol fire burning him or both of you to death, who would their be to ask the question what ur true intentions were. From a cell phone video in the stands, it sure could look like you meant to kill him. I've been racing sprint cars for almost 20 years and I can tell you that there isn't a driver alive that would intentionally hit someone walking on the racetrack
There are actually three or four scenarios that could be true here. The only one that will ever really know exactly what happened is Stewart himself

Back