Is this hangar rash or?

overdrive148

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
overdrive148
Cessna 182. Not sure what this line came from but I don't think its hangar rash. You'd think there'd be scraped paint or something? Too far out for a ladder, fuel ports are way farther in. Anyone seen this kind of mark before? I don't know much about structural analysis either so not sure if it was caused in flight.

"Damage" not seen before and trying to figure out where it came from. :dunno:

4DoLPPB.jpg

Cessna 182. Not sure what this line came from but I don't think its hangar rash. You'd think there'd be scraped paint or something? Too far out for a ladder, fuel ports are way farther in. Anyone seen this kind of mark before? I don't know much about structural analysis either so not sure if it was caused in flight.

"Damage" not seen before and trying to figure out where it came from. :dunno:

4DoLPPB.jpg

I've see worse on a brand new airplanes from the factory.

I've never seen the leading edge on 182s flush riveted. Maybe because I didn't really look at them

Not actually sure what happened. Owner says it wasn't there the last time he saw it (non-pilot) and was asking who did it/what could have hit it. I haven't looked that closely at his plane and haven't really seen it before either. Airport staff didn't move it into anything and I don't even know what would cause a crease like that with no scratches or paint swaps on that part of the wing. :dunno:

Someone dragged/swiped the underside of the wing with the plastic top of a step ladder?

Someone dragged/swiped the underside of the wing with the plastic top of a step ladder?

That's very possible. Try this.. When I had my Stearman it was in a large hangar with a federal gov. 185 on amphibs, a shrike commander, etc. A jerk fired up the commander....in the hangar, yes in the hangar, blew the 185 into my Stearman which then went into the hangar wall but did little damage to it. It was a pilot who started the commander, claimed he was " in a hurry" for a passenger pickup at national airport and the tug wouldn't start. So, anything is possible.

Well if it ain't hangar rash, it is ramp rash. Either way, somebody hit it with something.

That was my guess too. Or it was pulled forward with the step ladder in place that was just tall enough to leave an impression as the bottom of the wing rolled over the pivoting ladder.

...or a 6 year old with a stick...hard to say, really.

The crease is not in the cover plate.

It's been there at least since the last annual.

And unless another cover has a crease in it, it happened during an annual while the cover was off.

And unless another cover has a crease in it, it happened during an annual while the cover was off.

Agreed 100%.......:yes::yes::yes:

Unless the cover is thicker, for stiffness.

Turns out a Diamond winglet can do this...

:-(

Paul

Did not notice the lack of a crease in the cover. It seems a teeny bit recessed compared to the wing. I measured the crease - 17.5 or 18 inches. The tops of our fueling ladders are ~13 inches wide...also, if the wing overran the ladder top, you'd think it would scratch the paint on the rivets just before the crease. Or crease the cover too. Great observation.

I looked at the other covers just now and I don't see any with creases on them. The plot thickens. :confused:

I've never seen the leading edge on 182s flush riveted. Maybe because I didn't really look at them
Notice the access plate rivets aren't flush riveted? Any serious rivet pounder would be offended.

Something rubbed along it to make that. Yeah, hangar/shop rash. That's not something that happens in flight.

Actually if you blow up the picture the cover does seem to have a very small amount of deformation. There is a doubler around that opening and the cover is attched to it not to the skin. The doubler deformed and the cover moved in is why it is not damaged as much as the surrounding area. My guess is a roll around fueling stair and the the lineman leaned hard on the wing to reach the fuel caps and pump in fuel. In the process the top rail of the stairs was below the wing and the wing was pressed down onto in creating the dent. Call Dent King paintless dent removal, they will fix it right up.

Seeing this in a 210, lader in place plane dragged wing gets up the ladder. Not big for insurance claim, but I would be in FBO ass to get it fixed.
Community hangars are cheap for a reason.

I'd tell you to pull the cover and grab a stubby screwdriver and a block of wood and rub it out by holding the board up to the outside and rubbing the butt of the screwdriver handle along the dent and rub it back out, but Tom would accuse me of trying to kill you with shade tree repairs. Best to re-skin it.

My guess is a roll around fueling stair and the the lineman leaned hard on the wing to reach the fuel caps and pump in fuel. In the process the top rail of the stairs was below the wing and the wing was pressed down onto in creating the dent.

Seeing this in a 210, lader in place plane dragged wing gets up the ladder. Not big for insurance claim, but I would be in FBO ass to get it fixed.
Community hangars are cheap for a reason.

The problem is, I work for the FBO :lol: we don't have anything fancy enough for a roll-around stair, we just use standard ladders. And the tops of them aren't quite big enough for this size dent.

I would say that the pushing the ladder into the wing/getting dragged over the top seems plausible, but the owner only uses one ladder to fuel and it's a step ladder instead of a full ladder. Also I should have specified a bit better - this is 1/2 - 3/4 of the way down the wing towards the tips, the ports aren't even close to where this would be.

Hmm...

Sure looks like whatever it was had a rounded point and stopped at the inboard dent location.

Ladder with a fueling nozzle poking out of the top, pushed under the wing from outboard or slid sideways to line it up with the fuel cap, perhaps?

They also use 5gal gas cans over nozzles most of the time. The thing that gets me is the port is way off to the right in the picture, not remotely close to the place the dent is.

Would someone hanging on the leading edge by their hands cause this to happen? Maybe creasing the skin underneath?

They also use 5gal gas cans over nozzles most of the time. The thing that gets me is the port is way off to the right in the picture, not remotely close to the place the dent is.

Would someone hanging on the leading edge by their hands cause this to happen? Maybe creasing the skin underneath?

No, it required something to press in on that exact line to do that. A pressure crease would follow the contour line.

Back