Is this bad?

Will Kumley

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Will
What’s the most concerning thing you see?

upload_2023-3-28_6-51-5.jpeg

This is a plane for sale that I recently looked at. Already decided to walk away from it. Should’ve taken more photos of the engine bay but as a decision was made I decided not to take any more of his time.

Attachments

• upload_2023-3-28_6-50-43.jpeg
    upload_2023-3-28_6-50-43.jpeg
    269.6 KB · Views: 28
To me, the ziptie and the amount of dust and rust indicates generally poor maintenance.
I wonder what made the felt pen markings on the oil filter run?

Rust on the firewall. There may be those who won’t agree, but for it is a big clue to look for other more significant rust.

Looks like a Warrior. Has it been kept outside and near the Ocean?

I would pass on the plane for this reason alone. There are lots of Warriors out there, keep looking and good hunting.

To me, the ziptie and the amount of dust and rust indicates generally poor maintenance.
I wonder what made the felt pen markings on the oil filter run?
Thats part of the reason I walked away. The owner recently purchased the plane and has been flying it. After looking over the plane I believe it will be due for annual soon as the current owner stated he hasn't had to do one yet. In my brain he is realizing the annual will be expensive and is trying to get rid of the plane before the annual is out of date and before he has to spend a fair chunk to get a new mechanic to sign it off.

The sharpie markings on the oil filter are just the beginning of a lot of liquids in the engine bay. Pretty sure I saw shock fluid, fuel, and oil in various places. Lots of other issues with the plane in my brain. His selling point was that the engine has 1000 hours before it hits TBO and the plane flies great. While the engine did start right up, I wouldn't want to put anyone I care for in it until a lot of things are addressed and I imagine the cracks in the firewall alone will be an expensive repair. Fun fact, those weren't the only cracks I saw on metal parts.

Rust on the firewall. There may be those who won’t agree, but for it is a big clue to look for other more significant rust.

Looks like a Warrior. Has it been kept outside and near the Ocean?

I would pass on the plane for this reason alone. There are lots of Warriors out there, keep looking and good hunting.
Not a Warrior, but not far from it. Kinda sad to see planes in this condition in my opinion. The current owner has only had the plane about half a year but this level of neglect didn't come from them alone.

I'd be really curios how much corrosion is behind the wing fuel tanks at the steel fasteners holding the landing gear on and of course the bolts holding the wing fittings together.

I'd be really curios how much corrosion is behind the wing fuel tanks at the steel fasteners holding the landing gear on and of course the bolts holding the wing fittings together.

OK now you are scaring me.

The crack in the upper firewall is a little concerning but fits the overall theme of this engine bay.
I missed that!

I'm probably demonstrating that I've not spent much time under many cowls...but what's the metal can with the vented screw-top for?
Brake fluid reservoir. Should be checked on preflight.

That picture made me think of when Kelsey Grammar got assigned to command the diesel sub in Down Periscope…

“You’ve been selected for a very special mission.”

“What’s that, Sir? Turn her into a museum? The Wonderful World of Corrosion?”

Back