Is this alleged F/A 18 pilot + CFI a fake?

If you know their last name, a date when they were active duty, and either their birthday or SSN, you can plug it in to the single service request form here: https://www.dmdc.osd.mil/appj/scra/scraHome.do and get an immediate answer to your question.

This only works if they were active duty after 1985. Anything before that you'd have to go some other route.

1st step to douchiness, buy and constantly wear aviator sunglasses. 2nd step, leather jacket with patches. 3 rd step act like your supercool, because you fly a plane.

1) Big sunglasses: $0.99 (at the dollar store)
2a) TopGun jacket: $999 (from any pilot store)
2b) 5-stripe epaulets: $15 (gag gift from any pilot store)
3) Acting supercool: priceless

I skipped step #2a. :lol::rofl::goofy:

There's usually an additional active duty sevice commitment for Fighter Weapons School graduates in the Air Force. Probably same in the other services for similar training.

It's an 18 month additional GREMAIN (whatever that acronym means). It doesn't typically put you that far beyond your initial obligation since that time starts when you leave your shore tour/start your 2nd sea tour as a training officer (a sea tour that anyone with a traditional career path would still be on the hook for, whether training o or some disassociated) In other words that extra obligation can and often does overlap with at least the last year of your initial obligation (8 years from winging date). So it wouldn't be impossible to see a guy in his mid 30s off active duty with a patch.

Last edited:
If you know their last name, a date when they were active duty, and either their birthday or SSN, you can plug it in to the single service request form here: https://www.dmdc.osd.mil/appj/scra/scraHome.do and get an immediate answer to your question.

This only works if they were active duty after 1985. Anything before that you'd have to go some other route.
Doesn't tell you much -- only that they were on active duty, not what they did or schools attended or the like -- not even rank.

Doesn't tell you much -- only that they were on active duty, not what they did or schools attended or the like -- not even rank.
True. But I'd be willing to bet that someone like this has never even served.

1) Big sunglasses: $0.99 (at the dollar store)
2a) TopGun jacket: $999 (from any pilot store)
2b) 5-stripe epaulets: $15 (gag gift from any pilot store)
3) Acting supercool: priceless

I skipped step #2a. :lol::rofl::goofy:

On my students 3rd flight lesson he showed up witht the big aviator glasses. So far his performance is what I expected at that moment.

On my students 3rd flight lesson he showed up witht the big aviator glasses. So far his performance is what I expected at that moment.

Meh. Plenty of people that aren't pilots at all that wear them..because they like them..many of them don't even know that they have anything to do with flying.

I fail to understand what people are trying to gain by pretending that kind of stuff. He is not going to get one extra billable hour by pretending to be a former F18 pilot. If he WAS a former F18 pilot, he wouldn't be working at a flight school trying to get the hours for a job.

Meh. Plenty of people that aren't pilots at all that wear them..because they like them..many of them don't even know that they have anything to do with flying.

There was a time in the 80s/90s where if it was more convenient i would have worn them. I did not become a student pilot until 2011.

Uggg- I love aviators and used to wear them. Then I became a pilot and they became off limits because to many people think they make you look like a tool. I don't typically care what others think but for some reason I can't get past this one.

Then I became a pilot and they became off limits because to many people think they make you look like a tool.
When I went to ge trmy prescription sunglasses my doctor said, "Nice you're a pilot, you want some Ray Ban aviators all the pilots wear those." I said, no thanks just give me the cheapest frames you got. I never really liked aviators

yeah my wife for some reason loves them.....like she bought them for me several years in a row until I told her to stop (and gave them to family/friends). A few people can pull them off, but I am not by any means one of them.....I just look like a moron with them on. However I do stand by ray bans in general. Have two pairs (non aviator, quasi wrap around style), one of which is about a decade old now. Both are perfectly great sunglasses still. They aren't 7-11 mini mart cheap, but they are very affordable compared to most of the other brand names.

Uggg- I love aviators and used to wear them. Then I became a pilot and they became off limits because to many people think they make you look like a tool. I don't typically care what others think but for some reason I can't get past this one.

Ha, same here, but I still use them, I don't care. I don't wear sunglasses much anyway, they pretty much stay in the car since I only use them for driving (only if the sun is really in my face), and to fly (unless it's cloudy).

I'd have a hard time paying $$ for sunglasses when there are buckets of sunglass safety glasses with a good UV rating free for the taking at work

I'd have a hard time paying $$ for sunglasses when there are buckets of sunglass safety glasses with a good UV rating free for the taking at work

Put on a pair of rose tint Maui Jims and you may understand. Besides, when I break them, they send a new pair free.

I'll buy quasi expensive shades, 200-350ish, there is a diffrence and its something I don't mind spending money on, also I have never lost a pair of expensive shades, dollar store ones don't last a week before they get squashed or lost.

As far as aviators, sure if they look good and have good lenses, as of now I don't have a pair since my randolfs got stolen.

Ha, same here, but I still use them, I don't care. I don't wear sunglasses much anyway, they pretty much stay in the car since I only use them for driving (only if the sun is really in my face), and to fly (unless it's cloudy).

Here comes a good candidate for cataract surgery. UV protection is cheap, have you priced intraocular lenses? I made them for almost a decade. Get some protection before it's too late.

I stopped buying expensive shades, but yes, I do wear aviators. I buy them from the local Army/Navy surplus for a fraction of the amount of what I used to pay for Ray Bans or Oakleys. They've withstood 4 years of punishment so far and they feel good under my headset, so stigma or not, I'll stick with them because they feel good and are cheap.

A huge red flag on a faker is when they tell you their "records are sealed" because of top secret operations, etc.

FOIA can get you any records on prior service members.

I wear large lens glasses for the simple reason that it allows the provider to have larger sweet spots at different distances on my blended lenses. Not quite "aviators", but they work great.

Put on a pair of rose tint Maui Jims and you may understand. Besides, when I break them, they send a new pair free.

I like amber or brownish tint because of how it cuts the haze of blue scatter. What does rose tint do?

John

Edit: Other than make your outlook on life more optimistic. :wink2:

I like amber or brownish tint because of how it cuts the haze of blue scatter. What does rose tint do?

John

Edit: Other than make your outlook on life more optimistic. :wink2:

The same thing as the Amber/Brown lenses, plus your edit, for real. If I wear green tint glasses like Ray Bans, I am an angry person all day in a foul mood, short of temper. Rose and I am the opposite. Yellow amber is harsh on my eyes, and brown amber is just kinda muddy looking. Gray is just kind of 'meh' and makes everything kinda dull.

I have a friend who, a coupel years ago, I was helping him move and found he has a plaque that said something to the effect of "for meritorious service in a matter of national security to the United States of America". He mumbled something about the army but didn't want to talk about it so I never brought it up again. Between that and the bullet wound scars, I'm thinking now he probably wasn't really a cook, which is what he tells people he did in the army.

Between that and the bullet wound scars, I'm thinking now he probably wasn't really a cook, which is what he tells people he did in the army.

1. You could ask him if he is responsible for blowing up a Chinese sub and saving Hawaii from a Tomahawk attack by a guy wearing .... wait for it ...Ray Ban glasses!:goofy:

Now, I must go now as I'm busy cleaning classrooms and solving a math problem left on the blackboard.:D

I have a friend who, a coupel years ago, I was helping him move and found he has a plaque that said something to the effect of "for meritorious service in a matter of national security to the United States of America". He mumbled something about the army but didn't want to talk about it so I never brought it up again. Between that and the bullet wound scars, I'm thinking now he probably wasn't really a cook, which is what he tells people he did in the army.

You never know, some guys/gals in more traditional "support" roles have been in the wrong place at the wrong time too. Girl I knew growing up got killed in that manner in Iraq, in the middle of a firefight/ambush. But I agree, normally the guys with real stories to tell are the quietest about them.

Between that and the bullet wound scars, I'm thinking now he probably wasn't really a cook, which is what he tells people he did in the army.

maybe he was just a really bad cook

If he was in the Army as a cook and deployed, there's a good chance he wasn't even doing his MOS in theater. Brown & Root takes care of most of the cooking. Most likely he was pulled for various other duties that would put him in harms way such as gate guard. We used them as door gunners on UH-60s.

Those are the exact glasses I was referring to! I buy them for like $35 at the Army/Navy surplus store and am extremely happy with them! :yes:

They even make them in black now, which I prefer both for reduce glare and a more subtle appearance.

From what I've seen, most the folks that actually saw some chit don't go boasting about it, posting military stuff all over FB, or have "go army" stickers on the back on their trucks.

From what I've seen, most the folks that actually saw some chit don't go boasting about it, posting military stuff all over FB, or have "go army" stickers on the back on their trucks.

And there are plenty of people who have seen "chit" who write books and do television interviews.

Which makes me wonder how much they have actually seen or done.

Chris Kyle, Marcus Luttrell & Robert Oneil? I'd say they've seen a lot. Look at all the military pilots who have written autobiographies. Every famous ace I know of is quite open about their experiences.

When it comes to flair like a some Go Army sticker, that doesn't mean that person was a REMF. Probably means they're just proud of their service. Some show pride with stickers, some don't.

I'd say 90 % of my former Army & Marine friends post old pictures of their service on FB. I have friends with Silver Stars, DFCs, and many with Air Medals with V device. Some have seen action while some of us haven't. We put pics up and tell "old war stories" not to boast but to reminisce about events that'll never be duplicated again.

So my point is, there are those who have been in action and have no problem telling their story and there are those who'd rather keep it internal. Don't judge a book by its cover.

Here comes a good candidate for cataract surgery. UV protection is cheap, have you priced intraocular lenses? I made them for almost a decade. Get some protection before it's too late.

I'll try... I heard before it's a good idea, I just don't like the feeling of glasses on my face. I guess I have to get used to it anyway for when I get old(er).

Those of us that use the cup holders in our jets wear Maui Jims

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back