Is there such a thing as a good color printer scanner?

Wingsofglass

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Wingsofglass
I know there are a lot of IT nerds on this forum (and I say that with the utmost respect) so maybe you guys or gals can help.

I work out of my house and I need a good laser printer, a good scanner capable of scanning at least 40 pages at a time without jamming and a good color printer. My current setup is an HP LaserJet Pro 400 for B&W printing and a Cannon MX922 for scanning and color printing. The HP is just fine. No complaints. The Cannon is a total POS. Slow as Bryan's Grumman and less reliable. Is there a single solution color and BW laser printer with good scanning capability? Do I need a separate scanner? Is there a good color laser printer someone can recommend? B&W I need 30 pages per minute of printing. Color I don't care so much. It needs to be able to print color 4x6 photos. Footprint is important so I want something desktop. I used to own a Cirrus so money can be spent foolishly as long as the result is good.

One of my employees has an HP LaserJet Pro MFP 477 which has been pretty solid for the past year. She has to do a decent bit of scanning for invoices and HR-related items as well as the typical printing load. It's not quite "desktop" unless you have a lot of unused space. In my office, I've had an HP LaseJet CP2025 for going on 8 years now, and never an issue through 20,940 pages of printing (according to the usage report) including 1 paper jam and 7 "mispicked" pages.

At home, I have an HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 (i think) which is inkjet, not laser, but has been a good printer for 2 years or so with pretty minimal use. Can't complain either way.

Last edited:
I prefer Brother lasers because lower cost of consumables and Linux friendly. Been pretty reliable for me so far.

But if you want photos, sounds like you need a BW laser/scanner combo plus a separate inkjet. For the inkjet side, I like Epson.

I run a Dell laser printer / scanner / copier in my office at home. So far would have a sailor's highest recommendation - works fine, lasts a long time.

I have the HP MFP 281. It works pretty well, although the document feeder for the scanner doesn't quite work as well as I would like it to - the scanned pages are crooked. Maybe there is a fix around for this? I know, Google.

Printing works great over a wireless network. You can scan too, but barring having a scanning app with the capability of discovering the printer on the network (can't do it with Acrobat Pro) then you have to fall back on HP's own printer utility. Which works.

If you do a lot of printing the HP pagewide printers are faster and cheaper than laser jet. They really aren't Photo quality printers yet, except maybe some of the High end ones. The scanners on all HP printers are what you pay for them. The more you pay the better they are. If you do double side scanning much, I much prefer the ones with a single pass scanner. The pagewide printers are an Inkjet printer and like all inkjet printers they don't do well when they are not used for extended periods of time, at a minimum they need to be kept powered up so the can service nozzle plates. Unlike most inkjet printer the printhead is not replaceable on the pagewide printers, so a bit more important to take keep them powered up.

Brian

Back