Is there a combo garage door opener / Car key fob?

SixPapaCharlie

May the force be with you
Display Name

Display name:
Sixer
My son turned 16 this week so I bought him a car. Now we have 3 cars and a 2 car garage.
I am not loving the idea that one might forget to bring the garage door opener into the house and a nefarious individual could get into a car in the driveway and just open the garage.

Does their exist a key fob that will lock and unlock your car but also have a button for the garage door?
I would love to have a normal remote for the car that has a button for the garage door.
Maybe nowadays the answer is some sort of smart device using the phone. The fob would be nice though.

Things I am aware of:
1. There are stand alone garage door fobs. I would like to avoid the clutter of having 2 on our key rings.
3. If someone wants to get in, they will. I know but let's not invite them.
2. I can lock the garage door on the wall panel but I have proven that I can lock myself out of the house if I forget to unlock it when leaving for work as the panel button will open it even when locked.
4. Bullets 2 and 3 are out of order.

Given the proprietary security features OEMs build into vehicles these days, I really do not think it's viable for there to be an aftermarket key/garage fob. The OEMs do not have interest in opening up the knowledge of how these things work to other people.

Two solutions, neither of which you'll probably like:

#1 In my old house, I had a lot of home automation setup using homeassistant and various arudino things I built. One of those was the "good night" button. It was located on my night stand. I'd press it after I climbed into bed, it did the following:
- Turned on my bedroom ceiling fan & bedroom box fan
- Turned off all lights in home
- Enabled ai based "human detection" on my security camera feeds
- Verified doors were locked, if not, locked them
- Disabled power entirely to my garage door openers.

If my security camera feeds detected a person, it would kick on various lights and turn off my fans. Coolest part was that it would turn on my bedroom TV and show me the cameras. By the time I opened my eyes I could just glance at the TV to see what was up. This was all necessary in my old hood....there is a reason I moved...

#2 Get a small key-chain based garage door opener fob and deal with having it on your keys.

I use this ://www.myq.com/app
Controls the door via my phone. (openers in cars still work). Let's me know if the door is opened or closed and allows you to close it if you forget and realize it when you are two hours away.
Same. Both of my garage doors are Chamberlain MyQ-equipped. As long as they have adequate WiFi, I can open/close them from anywhere with a cell phone. One of the openers has a camera as well, so I can see in the garage and it activates automatically if the sensors are tripped or door is opened/closed. I probably use it most when I don't want to walk across the house before bed to close the door, so I pull up the app to do it from the bedroom. If getting another garage door remote isn't desired, I'd just get the MyQ/phone app.

Given the proprietary security features OEMs build into vehicles these days, I really do not think it's viable for there to be an aftermarket key/garage fob. The OEMs do not have interest in opening up the knowledge of how these things work to other people.

Two solutions, neither of which you'll probably like:

#1 In my old house, I had a lot of home automation setup using homeassistant and various arudino things I built. One of those was the "good night" button. It was located on my night stand. I'd press it after I climbed into bed, it did the following:
- Turned on my bedroom ceiling fan & bedroom box fan
- Turned off all lights in home
- Enabled ai based "human detection" on my security camera feeds
- Verified doors were locked, if not, locked them
- Disabled power entirely to my garage door openers.

If my security camera feeds detected a person, it would kick on various lights and turn off my fans. Coolest part was that it would turn on my bedroom TV and show me the cameras. By the time I opened my eyes I could just glance at the TV to see what was up. This was all necessary in my old hood....there is a reason I moved...

#2 Get a small key-chain based garage door opener fob and deal with having it on your keys.
I kind of like option 1

You should have bought your kid a new car with the built-in garage door openers in the car. You are slacking as a parent!

With enough duct tape you can make a combination key fob, garage door opener, and flashlight.

I have, somewhere in this house, a couple of garage door openers (Genie) that are small enough to fit on a keychain. And yes, I know that's not a great option for what you are wanting.

Of the thee cars, the one our college age daughter drives is the oldest and least valuable. Thus it sits outside, no garage door opener needed.

Why does the car that stays outside need a garage door opener?
Does your house have any alternative ways to enter?
A front door perhaps?
That's a good point. I prefer it to be in the driveway vs. on the street in front of the house. We have an HOA that gets ****y if cars are on the street.

I just need it closed behind him when he leaves. I suppose he could use the front door and walk around to the driveway.

The myQ hub does the job. Your son can have the app and close and open it using his phone.

You can also set schedule so that it’ll close after everyone is expected to be out of the house if the door’s open.

Alternative solution is the Wyse version if you don’t have a door opener like mine here the external shorting causes issues for the panel.

Genie makes the Alladin system. It allows you to control your garage door with your phone without a fob. It also reports the status of the door (up and down) to your phone.

I would add an outside key pad also.

I just need it closed behind him when he leaves. I suppose he could use the front door and walk around to the driveway.
Chamberlain LiftMaster/MyQ upgrade is one of the best ones I've done to my house. It had existing Liftmaster openers, and all I had to do was replace the control buttons in the garage and add the hub. Now, I have:

* Smartphone opening, closing, and status checking. This is why I got it, as my beautiful bride made me go back about every other time we left to verify it was closed. Now I can show her on my phone.
* Automatic closing. If I don't hit the "Hold Open" button, 5 minutes after opening (or walking through the safety beam) the door will close automatically if I haven't closed it already.
* Scheduled closing - Every night it'll close at a set time regardless of anything else.
* My car will automatically close the door after I back out, and open the door when I pull in the driveway.

Just give him a remote clicker thingy for the garage.

What? You bought him a car that has no garage door opener buttons built in? Duuuude!

Auto key fobs use something called a Remote Keyless System (RKS). In the U.S. these operate at 315 MHz, +/- 2.5 MHz.

Garage door opener remotes contain a radio transmitter. The opener unit contains a receiver. When you operate your remote, it sends a radio signal to the opener across a specific frequency. Most garage door openers function on frequencies between 300 MHz and 390 MHz, with the most common frequencies being 300 MHz, 310 MHz, 315 MHz, and 390 MHz.

The spread spectrum encoding, along with the PWM could be replicated on a programmable transmitter fob and keyed with the original fob's encoding via a "learning" or "adaptation" process. I don't know where you can get such a fob (probably AliExpress), but a Flipper Zero would definitely work. Just keep the FCC and FBI off your six...

Just give him a remote clicker thingy for the garage.

What? You bought him a car that has no garage door opener buttons built in? Duuuude!

As far a built in buttons, "New" is subjective. I don't buy new cars. This is a 2019 Buick Encore w/ 50k miles on it. I try to avoid car payments at all cost so new in this case means newer than our current old cars.
We haven't gotten into the fancy era of used cars with buttons yet.

My sister-in-law has the same Korean made car, but over there, they are Chevrolets.

The Encore is the top rated "Compact Luxury SUV," if there is such a thing, so it should have all the goodies. Strange it does not have the garage door buttons. Every car I've bought since 2003 has them. Weird.

Sounds like a good choice for a kid's first car. Get him the clicker thingy...

My sister-in-law has the same Korean made car, but over there, they are Chevrolets.

The Encore is the top rated "Compact Luxury SUV," if there is such a thing, so it should have all the goodies. Strange it does not have the garage door buttons. Every car I've bought since 2003 has them. Weird.

Sounds like a good choice for a kid's first car. Get him the clicker thingy...
Trim levels may differ.

Seems pretty resistant to the idea of a wifi based controller. I don’t like IoT either. Host them on a separate wifi network with a firewall between if you are concerned.

As far a built in buttons, "New" is subjective. I don't buy new cars. This is a 2019 Buick Encore w/ 50k miles on it. I try to avoid car payments at all cost so new in this case means newer than our current old cars.
They’re not obvious on GMs…three unlabeled rocker-switch style buttons, typically on the overhead console (at least for full-size trucks). My 18 Silverado has them and I’m relatively certain my 07 did as well.

I’ve never used them, however, as it’s my understanding they still function without the key being on…meaning the same issue you’re trying to avoid.

…I suppose he could use the front door and walk around to the driveway.

Then you gotta make sure they lock the dang door. At least you can get smart deadbolts nowadays.

Last edited:
I may go the smart route then.
We have smart locks on the doors which I am a fan of because they auto lock when a kid leaves and forgets to lock the door and I can give people a 1 time code to get in if needed, etc.

I'd like the option to check if it is closed and close remotely if needed.

The best part about the smart things is when data gets compromised, anyone will be able to get into your house and show no signs of forced entry. Have fun with the insurance when they say no forced entry, you left your doors open, sorry!

do you live in the barrio?
Nah, Corinth Texas which is probably a pretty safe bubble. But I am daydreaming about becoming a professional pilot which means not being home as much.
Pair that with absent-minded teenagers and my dad brain goes down all the rabbit holes.

The best part about the smart things is when data gets compromised, anyone will be able to get into your house and show no signs of forced entry. Have fun with the insurance when they say no forced entry, you left your doors open, sorry!
There is very little in the way of fool proof security. I feel pretty safe that the required hacking skills don’t line up with most folks who rob middle class homes. Willy sutton quote comes to mind

Nah, Corinth Texas which is probably a pretty safe bubble. But I am daydreaming about becoming a professional pilot which means not being home as much.
Pair that with absent-minded teenagers and my dad brain goes down all the rabbit holes.

If you are going to be a good pilot, you got to quit thinking too much. That’s ATC’s job. Step on the ball, fly to the needle, gear horn goes off you pull the breaker to make it stop.

They’re not obvious on GMs…three unlabeled rocker-switch style buttons, typically on the overhead console (at least for full-size trucks). My 18 Silverado has them and I’m relatively certain my 07 did as well.

I’ve never used them, however, as it’s my understanding they still function without the key being on…meaning the same issue you’re trying to avoid.
Agreed. I'd think every Buick since the 2010s came with the programmable buttons as standard, but maybe not. I have them in the 2017 Cadillac but we still use the regular remote. My '08 F-150 Lariat had them as well, but I think you had to have a Lariat/King Ranch/Limited to get the Homelink remote option in the visor. Here's a YouTube on a programming tutorial for the GM Homelink setup if you have it. Jump to 0:45 sec.

04 Vette did not
07 Colorado did not
22 Equinox does not
20 Sierra does

Wait, a 16 year old kid needs a remote garage door opener.??

Why, when I was his age we not only didn't have remote garage door openers, we didn't have garages...:incazzato: :lol:

I was the remote garage door opener for my dad. Also remote gate opener and closer, rain or shine....

agree with whoever said let the kid park in the driveway and enter thru the front door.

I don't see the difference between having a garage door clicker thingy or one built into the car........if the concern is someone getting into the car and opening the garage door, they can do it with either of those.

best thing to do is sell the car and the kid and not have to worry about it.

Agreed. I'd think every Buick since the 2010s came with the programmable buttons as standard, but maybe not. I have them in the 2017 Cadillac but we still use the regular remote. My '08 F-150 Lariat had them as well, but I think you had to have a Lariat/King Ranch/Limited to get the Homelink remote option in the visor. Here's a YouTube on a programming tutorial for the GM Homelink setup if you have it. Jump to 0:45 sec.

I double checked. I don't have em.

What homeowner's policy requires obvious signs of forced entry to pay on a theft claim? Does that mean if your housekeeper enters with her key and takes your TVs, they won't pay? Or if someone picks your locks (trivial with most consumer-grade locks) you're screwed? And when did hacking smart locks become easier than just kicking in the back door or breaking a window?

Cars with HomeLink built in have been around for a LONG time. My 2006 Volvo S60 was my first car that had them... And it still had a CD player. :rofl:

I hide them in all my cars anywhere from under the dash to under the seats.

While there is a small chance of that, it pales to the benefits.

I have received several text messages from my garage door opener at 9pm telling me the door is closing automatically because one of us forgot to close it earlier. Without this the door would have been open all night

Also, there have been several times when I left home and forgot to close the door. I was able to check it and close it remotely. Otherwise it would have been open till I got home.

And another also: My garage door opener has a motion sensing camera attached. When the door opens I get an alert and can watch in real time, while recording any activity.

And one more thing, if I have someone coming over, I don't have to give them a code or leave them a key. They can call me and I can open the door for them remotely, while watching them on the camera.

These things over-ride the minuscule chance of some miscreant hacking into my garage many times over.

I may go the smart route then.
We have smart locks on the doors which I am a fan of because they auto lock when a kid leaves and forgets to lock the door and I can give people a 1 time code to get in if needed, etc.

I'd like the option to check if it is closed and close remotely if needed.

The Genie Aladdin is like $50 and does this.

Back