Is there a combo garage door opener / Car key fob?

There is very little in the way of fool proof security. I feel pretty safe that the required hacking skills don’t line up with most folks who rob middle class homes. Willy sutton quote comes to mind
Here in Toronto they have video of someone taking off a fog light to access the CAN bus on a car in order to hack it, start it and steal it. And never mind the replay attacks on keyless fobs.

Wireless keypad mounted outside? "Enter" button triggers a close. One came with my opener.
The wired keypads often had the entry code on a sticker on the back of the keypad. If you failed to remove the sticker when installing, thieves could quickly unscrew the pad and read the entry code.

Manufacturers may have gotten smarter since then...then again, they may not have.

The wired keypads often had the entry code on a sticker on the back of the keypad. If you failed to remove the sticker when installing, thieves could quickly unscrew the pad and read the entry code.

Manufacturers may have gotten smarter since then...then again, they may not have.
Not sure many of them are wired anymore. Most are wireless and you program your own code. Besides, if you were a thief removing one of the old wired keypads, you could probably just jumper the wires.

Last edited:
The best part about the smart things is when data gets compromised, anyone will be able to get into your house and show no signs of forced entry. Have fun with the insurance when they say no forced entry, you left your doors open, sorry!
Agree. I wouldn't buy China consumer junk. If you can buy it at Home Depot, Best Buy, Walmart, etc...you do not want it in your house. Anything I do I build myself (hardware and software) and run on a dedicated vlan that does not even have internet access.

I do make an exception for smart light switches, as it makes more sense to purchase UL approved Lutron hardware. This stuff uses the Zwave protocol (local rf, not over the internet) and is controlled via an open source hub attached to the vlan that does not have internet access.

Out of paranoia, I also place honeypots all throughout my networks (on top of network IDS). In the unlikely event something starts sniffing around the network where it shouldn't, I know very quickly. Interestingly enough, my DISH satalite receiver is the most guilty of trying to (unsuccessfully) scan parts of my network where it has no business poking its nose.

If someone wants to break into my house they will quickly determine it would be a hell of a lot easier to smash through a glass window than it will be to smash through my network.

Last edited:

Mine has a code that I set.

Now that I think of it (old age is a bl7ch), I have a remote control fob that operates a four channel relay board. I bought it to experiment with opening the garage door, turning on and off a couple of lights and arming the LIDAR tracked heavy machine gun. OK, disregard that last part.

It was Chineseum from Amazon, so not a big expense:
https://tinyurl.com/Fourchannel

Back